[Request] Delay deadline for awarded Adventure Labs

Mineral2

New deadline: August 31, 2020
In response to COVID-19, Geocaching HQ is extending the deadline to August 31, 2020 for all Adventure Labs to go public. We will monitor changes over the next few months, to see if we need to make further adjustments. There is no need to write in to request an extension. Feel free to share this information with your communities. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

We have not sent an email to notify about the extension. But feel free to share the information posted. 

New deadline: August 31, 2020
In response to COVID-19, Geocaching HQ is extending the deadline to August 31, 2020 for all Adventure Labs to go public. We will monitor changes over the next few months, to see if we need to make further adjustments. There is no need to write in to request an extension. Feel free to share this information with your communities. 

On 3/29/2020 at 11:12 PM, BløfDuck said:

@Frau Potter a little off topic in this thread.. but how about extending the deadline on "Virtual Reward 2.0"

"Placed date (must be between June 4, 2019 and June 4, 2020)"

The dutch reviewers at the moment do not publish any cache.

Virtual Reward 2.0
New deadline: December 31, 2020
In response to COVID-19, Geocaching HQ is extending the deadline for all unpublished Virtual Reward 2.0 Caches to be submitted for publication to December 31, 2020. HQ will soon post this information on all unpublished cache pages. Feel free to share this information with your communities. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 3/29/2020 at 6:32 PM, Frau Potter said:

We have not sent an email to notify about the extension. But feel free to share the information posted. 

New deadline: August 31, 2020
In response to COVID-19, Geocaching HQ is extending the deadline to August 31, 2020 for all Adventure Labs to go public. We will monitor changes over the next few months, to see if we need to make further adjustments. There is no need to write in to request an extension. Feel free to share this information with your communities. 

That's a little different than what's been posted:

(Credit goes to CavinoGal for catching this!)

Adventure Lab

New deadline: August 31, 2021

We have extended the deadline to August 31, 2020 for all Adventure Labs to go public. HQ will monitor changes over the next few months to see if further adjustments are needed. There is no need for those with Adventure Lab credits to write in to request an extension.

Edited by Max and 99
44 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

That's a little different than what's been posted:

(Credit goes to CavinoGal for catching this!)

Adventure Lab

New deadline: August 31, 2021

We have extended the deadline to August 31, 2020 for all Adventure Labs to go public. HQ will monitor changes over the next few months to see if further adjustments are needed. There is no need for those with Adventure Lab credits to write in to request an extension.

Thanks for pointing out the error. We’ll get that fixed in our messaging. The correct deadline for Adventure Lab is August 31, 2020. 

On 4/10/2020 at 8:01 PM, Frau Potter said:

The correct deadline for Adventure Lab is August 31, 2020. 

Is this still the case?  I am working on a Lab in the Builder, but some details (photos, information, keywords, etc) I need I am not able to get without visiting the locations, which is not yet possible (though potentially it may happen in the next couple of weeks).  Still, I want to do this right,  and not feel rushed with the publication once I AM able to gather the needed info and photos to put it all together.

When I first received the notification, it felt like I had plenty of time to come up with an idea and make it a very cool Adventure Lab.  This Shelter in Place, and it's associated restrictions, has me wondering if I will be able to put it together by August 31.  

Our local reveiewers are still publishing caches, and people are out there finding them.  In fact, it seems there are MORE being published than usual, and some new hiders are out there!  I, personally, have not been out as often as I likely would, but we (hubby and I) do usually find a couple while we are out on other errands.  And I am planning and beginning to work on my Adventure Lab; it's just frustrating not having the information and photos I want in hand and waiting for some unknown date int he future when I may be able to get it.  I'm sure I'm not the only one in this predicament!

• Funny 1
14 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Is this still the case?  I am working on a Lab in the Builder, but some details (photos, information, keywords, etc) I need I am not able to get without visiting the locations, which is not yet possible (though potentially it may happen in the next couple of weeks).  Still, I want to do this right,  and not feel rushed with the publication once I AM able to gather the needed info and photos to put it all together.

When I first received the notification, it felt like I had plenty of time to come up with an idea and make it a very cool Adventure Lab.  This Shelter in Place, and it's associated restrictions, has me wondering if I will be able to put it together by August 31.  

Our local reveiewers are still publishing caches, and people are out there finding them.  In fact, it seems there are MORE being published than usual, and some new hiders are out there!  I, personally, have not been out as often as I likely would, but we (hubby and I) do usually find a couple while we are out on other errands.  And I am planning and beginning to work on my Adventure Lab; it's just frustrating not having the information and photos I want in hand and waiting for some unknown date int he future when I may be able to get it.  I'm sure I'm not the only one in this predicament!

For now, we are sticking to the August 31 deadline. There are still 3.5 months between now and then. But we will consider shifting the deadline to a later date, if it appears that geocachers are still unable to get out and about in the future. 

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, barnold said:

I believe currently the deadline to hide Adventure Labs is extended to October 31.

Is that correct?

That is correct. 

Although the information here makes it seem as though the deadlines may be lifted and that accounts are now chosen to create an adventure lab on a rolling basis.

Edited by Mineral2

On the Steps to create an Adventure Lab page:

Please note: 

• All Adventures must be set to Public before October 31, 2020, or the award may be removed. We will adapt this deadline, if necessary, depending on COVID-19.
  • Public Adventures have no expiration date, although if there are issues they may be turned off at the discretion of Geocaching HQ.

COVID aside, I wonder if the intention is that there'll be no more published after the end of October, for the time being at least.

3 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

COVID aside, I wonder if the intention is that there'll be no more published after the end of October, for the time being at least.

In my home area, the ALC are currently spreading faster than Covid during the worst times ;) , and I'm not sure this is a good thing. The map in the app is on the way to become unusable. So putting a (temporary) end to new ALCs (or at least significantly slowing down the rate of new ones) would be OK for me.

• Helpful 1
12 minutes ago, baer2006 said:

In my home area, the ALC are currently spreading faster than Covid during the worst times ;) , and I'm not sure this is a good thing. The map in the app is on the way to become unusable. So putting a (temporary) end to new ALCs (or at least significantly slowing down the rate of new ones) would be OK for me.

There's still only two in my region so if that's going to be the end of it, it's not much of a game. I really wonder how they're going to provide enough growth in places like this to make it worthwhile yet prevent other places from being totally saturated with them.

Other than mine, I know of two others planned in my area - where the map says Green Valley, Mankas, and Fairfield are roughly the locations for those 3.  There may be others in the works that I am unaware of, but the map has a lot of open space.  For scale, the blue dot is me, Fairfield is 5 miles, Napa is 10 miles from me as the crow flies.

Screenshot_20200904-073849.png

meanwhile the nearest Adventure Lab to where I live is 2 hours away. This is almost a separate game from geocaching and maybe should be. But I see Adventure Labs as a reconciliation for not allowing new virtual caches, since that's kinda what they are. They're kind of a mix between a virtual cache, multi-cache, and a Wherigo, all with a unique spin within itself. I don't think they should be quite as limited as they are. But they also need to be promoted to the general caching community for completion.

21 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

On the Steps to create an Adventure Lab page:

Two days ago I received an email from HQ informing me I've been awarded a second AL set of 5 locations.  Don't know what I did to deserve that! :lostsignal:   They must be published by December 15, 2020.  So it doesn't appear they are done pushing them out yet.

14 minutes ago, icezebra11 said:

Two days ago I received an email from HQ informing me I've been awarded a second AL set of 5 locations.  Don't know what I did to deserve that! :lostsignal:   They must be published by December 15, 2020.  So it doesn't appear they are done pushing them out yet.

Thanks for posting this. I don't know of anyone in my area who has received a second one yet, but I've been fully expecting to see them. Congrats!

2 hours ago, wombats_4 said:

I was awarded an Adventure Lab (my first) in the newer round of them but I can't find the email/ info of when it is due. I remember it was sometime in December?

The current deadline is December 15, 2020. But because some areas have strict  COVID restrictions, we have been offering extensions to March 31, 2021 to anyone who needs the extra time. 

• Helpful 2
21 minutes ago, gesharp said:

Do we have to apply for an extension? I was working on mine today, got to feeling bad and had to come home.

Due to the COVID-19 lockdowns, we have officially extended the deadline for Adventure creators to March 31, 2021.

We have updated the HQ Updates page: https://www.geocaching.com/sites/updates/en/ and the Help Center

Creators do not need to write to HQ to get an extension for their Adventure Lab. 

• Helpful 2
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, psychpineapple said:

I have an adventure lab credit, but I didn't receive an email about the extension. I only heard about it from the forums. Did others hear about it from email? I just want to make sure it pertains to everyone because it's supposed to expire Dec 15. 

We did not send an email. The deadline extension applies to everyone. 

• Upvote 2
On 12/15/2020 at 3:32 PM, Megalodon said:

I just found on the Groundspeak webpage:

Adventure Lab

New deadline: March 31, 2021

We have extended the deadline to March 31, 2021 for all Adventure Labs to go public. HQ will monitor changes over the next few months to see if further adjustments are needed. There is no need for those with Adventure Lab credits to write in to request an extension.

It's not like, this exact same information is 4 posts above yours ;)

Edited by sernikk