Please don't disable your caches

mtkiska

Our family is just getting back into geocaching now with everything going on. Yesterday we found two and I didn't allow the kids to touch them and used disenfectant wipes to open them. Then sanitized my hands Going forward if we find them our plan is to not even open or touch them but rather just log where they are and come back this summer to write on the sheet we found them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mtkiska said:

Going forward if we find them our plan is to not even open or touch them but rather just log where they are and come back this summer to write on the sheet we found them. 

I think you'd better not log them online then yet. You might get your logs deleted if the log is not signed.

• Upvote 4
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, mtkiska said:

Our family is just getting back into geocaching now with everything going on.

Yesterday we found two and I didn't allow the kids to touch them and used disenfectant wipes to open them. Then sanitized my hands 

Going forward if we find them our plan is to not even open or touch them but rather just log where they are and come back this summer to write on the sheet we found them. 

Cool.  :)

I wouldn't use wipes to open hides.  Doubtful that the virus would last long on an object outdoors.

-  And even if it did, what did you do with those wipes ?    You create cross-contamination unless everything's disposed of properly.

I feel you'd have more everyday outdoors mold and mildew issues on a typical cache than this virus thing.   ;)

After you're done signing the log, and close everything up, simply use sanitizer if you feel you need it.

You stand more chance of this virus passing someone on the trail than opening a cache.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
10 hours ago, mtkiska said:

Our family is just getting back into geocaching now with everything going on. Yesterday we found two and I didn't allow the kids to touch them and used disenfectant wipes to open them. Then sanitized my hands 

10 hours ago, mtkiska said:

Going forward if we find them our plan is to not even open or touch them but rather just log where they are and come back this summer to write on the sheet we found them

But the parks where the caches are located are closed to the public! 

You are absolutely allowed to just spot a cache and not sign the log! Just don't log online until you've signed the physical log. Simple!

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 3/26/2020 at 8:45 PM, Max and 99 said:

But the parks where the caches are located are closed to the public! 

You are absolutely allowed to just spot a cache and not sign the log! Just don't log online until you've signed the physical log. Simple!

You can even spot caches,  write a note to let the CO it's still in place, then go back and sign the log and log a found it later.   Everyones found it stats are going to go down for the next few weeks/months.  That can be made up later, when caches are revisited and quickly found (because you already know where it is) later.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

Sorry, I disabled all of mine, and many others in my area are doing the same.  Of course, I'm just outside of NYC, and my county by itself (at least recently) had more positive cases than 38 other states in their entirety.  

Westchester much?

I'm just up the road in southern Ulster.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun
Because I can't spell.
  • Helpful 1
14 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

And I am about 4.5 hours to the west, and  some locals are concerned about the number of people from NYC that want to come here for a while.  

I get that concern. I'm an hour north of the city, and the stores' parking lots here are full of NYC cars.

There are a LOT of city-dweller "vaca" homes here .

Can't blame them for wanting to get out. Most people aren't as selfless as we'd like them to be. 

I'd like to think that I'd stay down there, but until I'm faced with that choice, who knows?

• Helpful 2