bookmark lists not showing from URL

DieSterntaler

Hi!
Since 2 Days I can not list my "bookmark lists" from the dashboard.
I get a blank site on the URL "https://www.geocaching.com/plan/lists" or "https://www.geocaching.com/plan/lists/favorites".

Crerating a new List an putting a cache on a list from a cache site is working.
Access to the lists via API is working.

Only the URLs aren't working.

Please check on that.
Greetings from Germany
Jochen from DieSterntaler

I have the same Problem, I either get blank screens when trying to see my lists or error Messages like "We had Trouble loading your Lists" and even "The Lists you are trying to Access is private (when I try to see my List "Ignored geocaches". See attached screenshots. The only List which is working, is the Watchlist, accessed directly from the Dashboard.

Please help and thanks alot!

listsproblem.png

Ditto -- the lists page is shown as blank on my Mac using Chrome and Firefox; using Safari, lists are shown as blank, but then will are shown after the tab is refreshed.

Also seeing the blank lists screen on my Android using Chrome.

Well, just now, checked Mac Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera.

All four(4) browsers now show the My lists' list ok.

Oddly, try to show content of any list with the list-of-lists, Mac Safari give an Error that the list is private and does not show anything, somehow, although it's my own list.

However, Mac Chrome, Firefox, Opera all do show the list's content fine without any error.

Mac Safari an issue? Version 11.1.2 (11605.3.8.1) on Mac OS 10.11.6 (15G22010).

(And yes, I know it's old... Planning on getting a new Mac during this COVID-16 pandemic.)

Same problem here. If I try "My Lists" I get the "We had troble loading your Lists" message. I can click that away but then the list area is blank. Trying to refresh the page as suggested only brings back the error message. Trying instead "Ignored geocaches", I get the "The List you are trying to access is private"" message. If I try to show "Favorites" I get the first error message and clicking that away just brings it back again since it seems to do an automatic page reload in that situation.

Im on Firefox. An old one, 52.0 it seems. I have the same problem with another computer probably the same version of Firefox there. I don't have the problem with a probably up-to-date Chrome browser on a thrid computer. So I guess I have only myself to blame for hanging on to old browsers. But for the life of me I can not understand why the site would be changed so that the only effect is that it stops working on older browsers. I would also be surprised if it would finally be geocaching.com that would force me to upgrade my browser (and in effect OS, and computer) while all other sites I'm depending on are still working.

BTW, I did try disabling Ghostery, Adblock etc in different permutations but that doesn't make any difference. And as I wrote, I haven't changed anything (not even updated those add-ons) it is the site that has changed.

There can be many reasons for not upgrading to the latest browser version. For instance, the latest version may not run on old operating system, an old PC may not run the new OS. Buy new hardware just to be able to continue using a site that worked fine before? Not tempting. It could also be because you don't want to have to learn different ways of doing things, not fixing what isn't broken etc. That last thing is something I think many web developers should also consider. In this particular case, I can't see that any other change was made to the previously working list interface than making it not working in my old browser.

There was a time when backwards compatibility was a good thing. When developers actually tested their web sites on old browser versions to make sure they didn't break anything. Nowadays it seems to be the other way around, developers bend over backwards just to make sure you have to keep upgrading to the latest version. While doing that may be wise for many reasons, I don't see it as a mission for the web developer in general to enforce it.

• Upvote 3

I have this problem as well.

Had to accept pref+stat cookies, before it worked.

Until recently I did not have to accept these cookies, to get access to my lists/bookmarks.

As it used to work without having to accept these cookie-groups, I will consider it to be a bug. Otherwise there is no real choice, when asked whether to accept pref+stat cookies.

On 10/13/2020 at 11:05 AM, DkMumrik said:

I have this problem as well.

Had to accept pref+stat cookies, before it worked.

Until recently I did not have to accept these cookies, to get access to my lists/bookmarks.

As it used to work without having to accept these cookie-groups, I will consider it to be a bug. Otherwise there is no real choice, when asked whether to accept pref+stat cookies.

Thanks, this hint solved my problem :)

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, SigsPig said:

I'm having the same problem. Reading thru the thread it would seem to be related to cookies etc. I just recently cleared all my cookies and didn't make the connection. So, how do you get the geocaching website to ask if you'll accept cookies/preferences/etc again?

I believe you can access the authorizations from the drop-down arrow next to your name at the top right of the page. 

I confirmed the problem back when it was first reported, but have been ignoring it since I was sure it would be resolved in a couple days because it seemed like such a simple problem with an obvious fix. No such luck, I guess, so it looks like I'll have to accept an entire class of cookies I wanted to avoid.

On the same desktop computer I always use,  (which has established cookies acceptance), using Firefox, I get a blank screen when clicking on Lists in the New Dashboard Experience. Nothing.

When I click on my bookmarked list from a geocache page, I still get a blank screen. Nothing.

Edited by Max and 99

Had the same problem, no matter what browser i was using (IE, Firefox, Waterfox, Opera, Edge). Deleted the CookieConsent-Cookies, after reloading the page i was asked about the cookies again. You have to allow the statistic cookies, then the bookmark site will work without problems (you can still deny advertising cookies). Don't know if it is the only thing causes problems but this worked for me (of course also the scripts have to be alowed).

I finally had to do some list maintenance, so I had to turn on the cookies that, from what I see, let everyone everywhere track me and gather information -- oops, I mean "statistics" -- about everything I'm doing. I did what I needed to do and then disabled those cookies again. At least there's no delay in the cookie enable/disable, but it's so irritating that I have to open the floodgates to do this one simple task, and GS seems perfectly happy with that.