Disabling caches.

Folkfen

58 minutes ago, Folkfen said:

I’m thinking of temporarily disabling our caches but as there are a lot I was wondering if there was a way  to do all of them in one action.  Thank you. 

Load them all in GSAK (Windows) and use "publish logs" to create Temporary Disable log. When finished use "Publish all".

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
On 3/23/2020 at 4:11 AM, Folkfen said:

I’m thinking of temporarily disabling our caches but as there are a lot I was wondering if there was a way  to do all of them in one action.  Thank you. 

Why are you disabling all your geocaches?  Those of us staying inside aren't going to be enticed to find your geocache. Those who get out to find a cache can still find yours, even if it is disabled. You may as well leave them active.

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1

Hopefully, Groundspeak is as reasonable as you are. If the crisis continues for some months (and I am note sure why it shouldn't be that way) they might archive caches that are disabled for a long time. I hope that your caches (and other caches deactivated for the same reason) will be treated differently to caches deactivated for normal reasons. Hopefully no automatism will occur....

I disabled two of my caches that I personally touched only one day before knowing that I had contact to an infected person. After we were tested negatively I can now enable them but I still might wait for some more days just to be sure.

At the moment I want to keep my caches active as long as possible but I understand owners disabling there caches.

On 3/23/2020 at 4:55 PM, Folkfen said:

Thank you on4bam, I don’t use GSAK unfortunately. I’ve started the rather tedious task of doing them one at a time. 

If you have a windows PC you can just download and use it, it's freeware now.

2 hours ago, frostengel said:

Hopefully, Groundspeak is as reasonable as you are. If the crisis continues for some months (and I am note sure why it shouldn't be that way) they might archive caches that are disabled for a long time. I hope that your caches (and other caches deactivated for the same reason) will be treated differently to caches deactivated for normal reasons. Hopefully no automatism will occur....

I disabled two of my caches that I personally touched only one day before knowing that I had contact to an infected person. After we were tested negatively I can now enable them but I still might wait for some more days just to be sure.

At the moment I want to keep my caches active as long as possible but I understand owners disabling there caches.

Normally it's not Groundspeak that archive cache but your reviewer.

In my area our reviewer said she won't archive cache for lack of maintenance during the crisis.

In these circumstances reviewers will ask about the status of a cache before archiving. They do so in normal times too. "this cache is TD for more than x weeks, please post a note to avoid archiving in x weeks".

There should be no worries that caches are going to be archived just because they were TD during coronatimes.

I disabled two caches today, and didn't see this coming. The park closed because of the coronavirus . But it is what it is, and folks can't enter the premises until the coronavirus situation is over.  I was glad that someone who was there yesterday enjoying the outdoors informed me of the change.

Edited by Max and 99
3 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I disabled two caches today, and didn't see this coming.

The park closed because of the coronavirus (I don't know the logic, since all the other parks are open). But it is what it is, and folks can't enter the premises until the coronavirus situation is over. There's only one gate, by the caretaker's house. I was glad that someone who was there yesterday enjoying the outdoors informed me of the change.

Maybe the caretaker doesn't want to take the chance of getting infected themselves ?    If a small park, can't blame them...

Here, a huge park system nearby is closed, when every small local/state park, and state game lands (our largest landowner) is open surrounding it.

That big, free park sees a large crowd of tourists most weekends and during the summer.

Those tourists come from what is now the epicenter of this china virus in the country.

- We already have a bunch of them  that escaped the city to stay at their "vacation spots" here  (welcome to the poconos...).

Similar ?

On 3/25/2020 at 10:12 AM, on4bam said:

In these circumstances reviewers will ask about the status of a cache before archiving. They do so in normal times too. "this cache is TD for more than x weeks, please post a note to avoid archiving in x weeks".

There should be no worries that caches are going to be archived just because they were TD during coronatimes.

Our reviewer suggests putting a mention of Coronavirus in your Disabled logs so he knows not to trigger the archive response after X weeks.

4 hours ago, JohnCNA said:

Our reviewer suggests putting a mention of Coronavirus in your Disabled logs so he knows not to trigger the archive response after X weeks.

What were you going to put in your log? "Feel like disabling my cache for no particular reason"?

• Funny 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, dprovan said:

What were you going to put in your log? "Feel like disabling my cache for no particular reason"?

It's not always obvious why a CO is disabling a cache. Putting that verbiage in the TD log lets the reviewer know that it's not for maintenance issues but in consideration for Coronavirus concerns. 

I wouldn't mention this china virus at all  if I had issues with a leaking container and had to TD. 

If someone feels for some odd reason they have to TD a hide "just because..." there's a virus,  every year we have the flu around, and it's usually active about six-months.  

If there's a real reason for a TD, for now folks are getting a bit of leeway because of the virus anyway.    :)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
12 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I wouldn't mention this china virus

There is no "China virus". There is COVID-19, Corona or whatever you want to call it. If you want to name it after a country you might want to name it after the one with the most infections. :ph34r:

• Upvote 4
  • Funny 1
14 minutes ago, on4bam said:

There is no "China virus". There is COVID-19, Corona or whatever you want to call it. If you want to name it after a country you might want to name it after the one with the most infections. :ph34r:

Many diseases were named for the place they originated.  German Measles, Ebola, Lyme Disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever...  This seems to have stopped when New York bribed someone to have the virus discovered there to be named West Nile Virus, instead of New York Virus...

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
2 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Many diseases were named for the place they originated.

No-one calls it the China virus except... And the place where it originated is Wuhan. There was a reason someone called it the China virus but that didn't work out well ;)

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, JohnCNA said:

It's not always obvious why a CO is disabling a cache. Putting that verbiage in the TD log lets the reviewer know that it's not for maintenance issues but in consideration for Coronavirus concerns. 

Any CO that disables a cache without explaining to everyone, not just the reviewer, why it was disabled deserves to have it archived expeditiously. If they don't explain, I would expect a conscientious reviewer to assume the worst reasons that justify the shortest grace period.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
21 hours ago, Folkfen said:

Thank you for all your interesting replies and help.

The OP has gotten the help they need.  This is the "How do I...?" forum for asking questions on Geocaching.com functionality.  As the thread has answered the question and has since strayed off topic, I am closing it.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2