Entertainment for us Shut-Ins

I'm sitting here watching Curling reruns from 2018 and 2019. Yeah, I'm Canadian, wanna make sumpin' of it?!?! I'm pretty much a shut-in now, as are many of us Waymarkers. Today I posted my first three Waymarks as ScroogieII, all of them Canadian Benchmarks. Figgered I may as well start in the same place I started back in 2012. Gettin' bored? Yeah. Today is the official First Day Of Spring. Spring (and possibly even Summer this year) is a bitch without Baseball (and World Curling Championships [Spring only, even we Canadians often don't curl  in the summer]).

I had expected that, with others also having to spend more time than is their habit at home, the Waymarks would come flooding in (just a sec, a couple have landed in my inbox... [only one, from the Hamquilter, was left for me to approve {another equally bored Waymarker had already gotten to the others}] ...back to the subject at hand), but, as yet, I've seen only a trickle.

All that is intended to lead up to the title of this thread, which, if you've already forgotten, is "Entertainment for us Shut-Ins". If I can't watch baseball, mebbe I can entertain myself in other ways, such as baiting Waymarkers, going over to Geocaching forums and doing the same there, or mebbe even starting yet another off-the-wall thread.

And the thread is about entertainment that we create for ourselves. I'm hereby inviting all and sundry who happen upon this thread to submit (via posting here, not email, voicemail, facebook, linkedin or twitter) jokes, riddles, brain teasers or similarly twisted and sadistic conundrums, quandarys and enigmas for the entertainment of "The Herd".

Following will be the first brain teaser that came to mind for me. It's really lame - I'm hoping the cerebral cortex will have better days in the VERY NEAR future.

Edited by ScroogieII
What's it to ya?!?!
6 hours ago, elyob said:

Thanks to present circumstances, we actually have no time and energy for entertainment.  With school out, the five-year-old grandson requires a full set of grandparents doing the entertaining.

So the "Not the grandparents, under absolutely no circumstances the grandparents, no exceptions, no excuses" chant is not sung in Canada?

How 'bout that? I forgot to post the brain teaser last night. Old age creeping in.

Some of you will likely find this one easy peasy, while others will see it as obscure and cryptic:

While most would tend to think of it as YELLOW PURPLE BLACK BLACK BLACK, it's commonly created as  YELLOW PURPLE ORANGE.

In its native habitat it's often accompanied by GOLD, thus - YELLOW PURPLE ORANGE GOLD, and sometimes by BROWN or RED.

What is it?

22 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

I have neglected to mention that there are prizes available for correct answers in this thread.

Is that like earning extra points in some categories for filling in a variable?

Have yet to see my extra points or where they are kept.

What are you offering as a prize? Extra Points :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Upvote 1
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 5:25 PM, ScroogieII said:

How 'bout that? I forgot to post the brain teaser last night. Old age creeping in.

Some of you will likely find this one easy peasy, while others will see it as obscure and cryptic:

While most would tend to think of it as YELLOW PURPLE BLACK BLACK BLACK, it's commonly created as  YELLOW PURPLE ORANGE.

In its native habitat it's often accompanied by GOLD, thus - YELLOW PURPLE ORANGE GOLD, and sometimes by BROWN or RED.

What is it?

A resistor?

On 3/23/2020 at 1:40 PM, T0SHEA said:

What are you offering as a prize? Extra Points

I have decided that the prizes will be the proceeds from previous guesses, including the winner's own guess..

Remember that I stated to The Vulture that guesses were <$1. Hence they're about 99 cents each.

Edited by ScroogieII

We are looking at a resistor color code chart and TRYING to figure out the color code for a resistor.
An untrained person would look at the chart and think YELLOW PURPLE BLACK BLACK BLACK is 47,000 ohms.
A semi-trained person could think 47,000 would be YELLOW PURPLE ORANGE.
A professional would know YELLOW VIOLET ORANGE is 47k ohms, and GOLD is 5% tolerance.
A professional also knows when you add a 5th and 6th color band, everything changes:
The first three bands become numbers, not just the first two bands - YELLOW VIOLET ORANGE is 473
The forth band is the multiplier - GOLD is x0.1 multiplier.
YELLOW VIOLET ORANGE GOLD is 47.3 ohms. The fifth band, BROWN is 2% Tolerance. There is no RED as the 5th band.

IF you want a 47K ohm resistor with 4 bands, it would be YELLOW VIOLET ORANGE and GOLD is 5% tolerance.

IF you want a 47K ohm resistor with 5 bands, it would be YELLOW VIOLET BLACK RED and GOLD is 5% tolerance.

Edited by 8Nuts MotherGoose
spelling correction
1 hour ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

YELLOW VIOLET ORANGE is 47k ohms

Yes, I stand corrected - it's not purple.

The fifth band, BROWN is 2% Tolerance. There is no RED as the 5th band

It's a long, long time since I've looked at a resistor color code chart, but, as I recall, brown is always 1, as in 1%. RED is 2%. The fifth band can be any of 8 colours, from silver (10%) through grey (.05%) Even more rare is the sixth band, which denotes temperature coefficient.

A professional also knows when you add a 5th and 6th color band, everything changes:
The first three bands become numbers, not just the first two bands - YELLOW VIOLET ORANGE is 473
The forth band is the multiplier - GOLD is x0.1 multiplier.

As a one time "professional" I am aware of this, but felt we'd best not get into that and get people completely derailed.

No one seems to have read the hint carefully enough. You're all hung up on resistors. So far, no correct answers, but we've collected $4.95 so far. :D

After looking at several charts, some show black and brown as 1% & 2%, others show brown and red as 1% and 2 %. But that's mute, since we are no longer discussing Resistor charts.

After due consideration and rereading the info a multitude of times...

Rainbows are never BLACK, so we must be looking at the SKY. Probably just before, during, and after sun set. You forgot the Green Flash, which would have been a give away.

46 minutes ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

After looking at several charts, some show black and brown as 1% & 2%, others show brown and red as 1% and 2 %. But that's mute, since we are no longer discussing Resistor charts.

After due consideration and rereading the info a multitude of times...

Rainbows are never BLACK, so we must be looking at the SKY. Probably just before, during, and after sun set. You forgot the Green Flash, which would have been a give away.

I don't believe that black and brown as 1 and 2% can ever be correct. Black is never, to my knowledge, used to denote tolerance. Brown is always 1, red is always 2, if we disregard that 6th band.

Anyhow, now you've gotten yourself well off course. You, and others, were much closer previously.

The Green Flash - I've looked for it a coupla times in the distant past, but never did see it, alas.

Now $5.94

Edited by ScroogieII

Well, it seems that the few who attempted a guess here have given up, so let's try another one.

pattern-recognition-test.jpg.2332df6fca1041ee23f273285419dcdd.jpg

What number goes in the empty triangle?

Look, I got it, after a bit of head scratching, so YOU should be able to get it, too.

BTW - it was 47,000. That's all. Just 47,000.

Edited by ScroogieII
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

Definitely 3.

There are a bunch of brain teasers like this in my area. Fantastic puzzles to solve!

Since you actually came in second, you get the consolation prize. Though I messed, up you still owe me $.94. 

We'll just put it on your account and you can keep it for now (mostly because it seems I can't delete it). What FUN!!!

1176135406_Nickel150.jpg.63f3b6476a8d8ef6dee0b9432c9c37c7.jpg

There's your consolation prize. (Bad day all around...)

Loonie-300.jpg

Edited by ScroogieII
1 hour ago, T0SHEA said:

DING! DING! DING! DING! 

We have a winner!!!! Since T0SHEA is a Canadian we don't have to explain to her the vagaries of the Canadian numismatic system. Though guesses are only $.99, she gets a full Loonie for her troubles...

Loonie-300.jpg.c2ac5746ccea42d45489cdbffe624861.jpg

Sorry, looked at the thread from the bottom up and saw 99's first. Was so happy to see a quick winner I clicked on hers, not yours.

Don't spend the whole thing at once. You have a tenth of a Christmas present here. :D

EDIT:

Just a minute... ... There were TWO guesses before a winner was awarded, hence $1.98 needs to be paid out. Here's the second Loonie T0SHEA earned:

Loonie-300.jpg.c2ac5746ccea42d45489cdbffe624861.jpg

Edited by ScroogieII
19 minutes ago, ScroogieII said:

DING! DING! DING! DING!

Already we have a winner!!

Guesses are $.99 each and since yours was the first and only guess, your prize is $.99. In Canada we no longer use pennies, rounding to the nearest 5 cents. So here's your prize - One Canadian dollar, AKA one Loonie.

Loonie-300.jpg.f6e1ab6f1b23fa594a705e5b5a5fb3d2.jpg

Spent it wisely.

Keith

I've got lots of those, but this will be my first digital one. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, T0SHEA said:

The match

Again - DING! DING! DING! DING!

These are obviously too easy for the ladies amongst us (yeah, I've noticed that no men have checked in). Again, a bad day all around...

... and here's your prize. If this keeps up, you'll soon be able to buy that Villa in Monaco you've had your eye on. :D

Loonie-300.jpg.e23eda9fdf156deaa957d5147faf7e0d.jpg

You're up to a third of a Christmas present now.

11 minutes ago, T0SHEA said:

Well I am not in jail.

That I knew. :)

11 minutes ago, T0SHEA said:

You were the one who screwed up, remember. 

Today, yes. Again :)

25 minutes ago, T0SHEA said:

I should win the new "GOLD" coin. That is two for two. 

WAZZAT?!?! Please Elucidate. I don't know what that is.

Edited by ScroogieII
On 4/2/2020 at 4:03 PM, ScroogieII said:

Well, it seems that the few who attempted a guess here have given up, so let's try another one.

pattern-recognition-test.jpg.2332df6fca1041ee23f273285419dcdd.jpg

What number goes in the empty triangle?

Look, I got it, after a bit of head scratching, so YOU should be able to get it, too.

BTW - it was 47,000. That's all. Just 47,000.

OK, I figured it out, finally.