How Many?

FootyFan123

1 hour ago, FootyFan123 said:

Hi, I'm thinking of releasing a mystery/puzzle cache series, and I have lots of ideas, however, what do you think the maximum amount I should hide is?

I don't think there is a "maximum". 

We've seen entire geoart made with puzzles, so maybe it depends on where you are as to whether people will appreciate it.   :)

I'm usually done when I want to head back, so just two at five miles (one way) might be good.

I won't hit 10 in one mile "just because they're there" though, they have to present more than just a smiley  

- So maybe check in your area, and see what a "maximum" might be .  

1 hour ago, FootyFan123 said:

Hi, I'm thinking of releasing a mystery/puzzle cache series, and I have lots of ideas, however, what do you think the maximum amount I should hide is?

How many do you want to own and maintain for the long term?

It might be good to start slowly, adding caches as you go, rather than trying to create them all at once. That way, you can get a better idea of your own limit before you exceed it.

• Upvote 1

As someone has already stated, there is no limit.  However, there are things that will help determine what that limit might entail.  Below is just a partial list as I'm sure there are other things that would apply

Cache saturation - how many other caches are in and around the area you're looking to place your caches.  Keep in mind that most puzzles, multis, some LBHs, and Wherigos have hidden stages that prevent you from placing them close by.  Unless you've managed to find them all, there's a good chance that they might prevent you from placing many caches.

How many caches are you willing to try to maintain - it's your responsibility to maintain the caches you place, not someone else's.  If you don't like the thought of addressing 25 possible issues for 25 caches, then I suggest you limit your placements to what you feel comfortable.  As niraD has stated, perhaps you start out small and then work your way up to whatever you feel comfortable keeping up with.

How many puzzle solvers does your local community have - The lower the number, the less likely you will have frequent visitors.  If you're OK with that, then by all means, create away.  However, if you want to get more visitors, then you might want to reconsider.

Is the series going to be dependent upon finding the caches in a certain order - In other words, are they stand alone puzzles that don't require the others to arrive at some solution or are they all needed in order to arrive at some penultimate conclusion?  Any puzzle series that has a bonus (or some final stage that relies on solving other puzzles) means that the very last one in the series is completely reliant on ALL the others being available at all times.  That means that any possible issues with any of the earlier puzzles will result in the final one being unsolvable.

• Helpful 2