TOTT

18 minutes ago, K13 said:

pruning shears

Trails need maintenance.

I never signed anything about Leave No Trace for precisely this reason.  It's similar to the footprints you're leaving "nothing but".

PS, on one cache hunt, the locals were nice enough to come along and clear the way.  B)  Their backyard.

15f8f885-5bb0-4f11-9482-31bda223a025_l.j

Edited by Viajero Perdido

They would have been handy for a cacher who did some of my Two Beaches series a couple of days ago. One trail in particular is becoming overgrown and the vegetation is what we call noxious weeds, that is not native to this continent (bitou bush and blackberry) and no one would blink an eye if it was cleared. A machete would be handy but I am prohibited by law to carry one.

Thanks everybody for your comments.  We are not seriously considering taking a weed eater with us when we go caching ( I think it would be a bigger pain to lug around than it was worth), was just curious if others had.

Anybody carry what they would consider pretty unique or strange TOTTs?  There is an adventure trail in our area where many loggers have referenced using a metal detector.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, dealfarms1 said:

Anybody carry what they would consider pretty unique or strange TOTTs?  There is an adventure trail in our area where many loggers have referenced using a metal detector.

I don't feel a metal detector strange at all.  :)   We carried handheld Garrett models (like the TSA uses) for years.

They're perfect for someone who doesn't want to lose an eye finding bisons in pine trees.  

- And I always have one in a pack for winter caching too.  They're waterproof. 

1 hour ago, dealfarms1 said:

I carry chopsticks.  Occasionally there are places that I don't want to put my hands, or they can be used to remove logs from nanos (you just twist gently into the middle of the rolled log and lift it out - sometimes if the log is damp, tweezers will damage it but i haven't had any issue with my chopsticks)

1 hour ago, dealfarms1 said:

There is an adventure trail in our area where many loggers have referenced using a metal detector.

I found a "fake rock" cache that could be a needle-in-a-haystack hide, except the CO suggested using a magnetic compass. It turned out that a simple magnetic compass worked very well as a metal detector to identify the correct rock quickly.