finding distances on planned caches

Jayeffel

I am considering placing several caches int my hometown. I know how to use the geocaching.com website hiding cache's procedure for getting distances to other near by caches. How would I find if planned caches would interfere with other planned cache's, none of them on geocaching.com? 

What I am thinking of is a series of caches at various churches , somewhere on that churches property. I could hide one at a time to be sure, but that would take a while to do.I know there ares a few churches too close together, and a few near exiting caches. It would be nice to check before starting the process.

Of course, If I don't get permission I won't need to worry with it!

There is no easy way to do what you want, no co-ordination between GC.com and the other cache listing services.

What you could do is use GSAK and make a database of the area you are working on. Populate it with a PQ of Groundspeak caches (making sure you have the final co-ords of any multis or puzzles etc) , add the other site's caches to the database, then use the GSAK mapping option which allows you to show 161m circles around every cache on the map. Bear in mind at least one other listing site I know of uses 150m circles,  but as the map only accepts one circle radius you need to use the greater one.

If you are familiar with GSAK this is pretty straightforward,  I've done it . if you are not already familiar with GSAK  ... it will be a steep learning curve.

A more straightforward option would be to simply put all the relevant caches in your GPS or phone and go  walk around the area until you see you are 161m from any existing cache, a low tech approach might involve a paper map and a pair of compasses...

Edited by hal-an-tow
stupid syntax

GSAK is Android based correct? I have an iPhone. Guess the best was his the one at a time. And that way I don't get ahead of myself.

Second method may work fine,  just this morning I have a widget that show nearby caches! Not sure if it tells distance but won't take long to find out.

I just checked, the widget shows nearby caches and selecting one takes me directly to the GC cache page. Should suffice, thanks. Even an old man  can learn something.

1 hour ago, hal-an-tow said:

What you could do is use GSAK and make a database of the area you are working on. Populate it with a PQ of Groundspeak caches (making sure you have the final co-ords of any multis or puzzles etc) , add the other site's caches to the database, then use the GSAK mapping option which allows you to show 161m circles around every cache on the map. Bear in mind at least one other listing site I know of uses 150m circles,  but as the map only accepts one circle radius you need to use the greater one.

You can set a circle radius of 150m in GSAK (Map Nearest Leaflet macro). That way you have a 161m circle around all caches and a 150m circle around the selected cache.

56 minutes ago, on4bam said:

You can set a circle radius of 150m in GSAK (Map Nearest Leaflet macro). That way you have a 161m circle around all caches and a 150m circle around the selected cache.

I was unclear there : what I meant was that the map macro only accepts one circle radius at a time for the whole map, so it is not possible to set GS circles to 161m radius, and other cache circles to 150m (or whatever)  on the same map.  I've used the variable circle diameter facility a few times to find good places for dummy puzzle co-ords .. or see if my solution to a puzzle is within the allowed  3,22km distance ...

It's all academic though, as the OP is not GSAK capable !

12 hours ago, hal-an-tow said:

A more straightforward option would be to simply put all the relevant caches in your GPS or phone and go  walk around the area until you see you are 161m from any existing cache, a low tech approach might involve a paper map and a pair of compasses...

This is how I do it for my series caches. If I find a likely spot it's easy to see how close the nearest cache is. If the nearest cache is over 160m I'll take a waypoint and continue on. When that is done I then need to check (at home) for any Multies or Mysteries.

If you can't use the software you can also do it the more complicated way: Load all caches on your gps, visit the locations you want to hide caches at, see how close the nearest cache is. If too close chose other location and repeat. Of course you should be taking more reading than one for precise coordinates, but this would give you a rough idea on whether a location is suitable. Of course you can also copy/paste the coords of caches around those churches into google earth, but you still need a hiding place. Don't forget to ask for placement permission if you hide them on church ground.

On 3/20/2020 at 8:56 AM, Jayeffel said:

I am considering placing several caches int my hometown. I know how to use the geocaching.com website hiding cache's procedure for getting distances to other near by caches. How would I find if planned caches would interfere with other planned cache's, none of them on geocaching.com? 

What I am thinking of is a series of caches at various churches , somewhere on that churches property. I could hide one at a time to be sure, but that would take a while to do.I know there ares a few churches too close together, and a few near exiting caches. It would be nice to check before starting the process.

Of course, If I don't get permission I won't need to worry with it!

I love thought of Church caches! Please keep us updated! 

On 3/21/2020 at 3:19 AM, terratin said:

If you can't use the software you can also do it the more complicated way: Load all caches on your gps, visit the locations you want to hide caches at, see how close the nearest cache is. If too close chose other location and repeat. Of course you should be taking more reading than one for precise coordinates, but this would give you a rough idea on whether a location is suitable. Of course you can also copy/paste the coords of caches around those churches into google earth, but you still need a hiding place. Don't forget to ask for placement permission if you hide them on church ground.

Also, be careful about writing your listings such that they're not promoting an agenda.  

10 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Also, be careful about writing your listings such that they're not promoting an agenda.  

Do you think "use hand sanitizer after handling a cache" would be regarded as an agenda? Stranger thing have happened :ph34r:

• Funny 1
42 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Do you think "use hand sanitizer after handling a cache" would be regarded as an agenda? Stranger thing have happened :ph34r:

I wouldn't thinks but the OP was talking about placing caches near churches, and that could easily lead one to the perception that their is an agenda associated with the caches.  Personally I think the ground around a church would be a good location, especially considering the architecture of some the older churches, but guidelines are guidelines.

It's fine to talk about a church's history, architecture, etc. on a cache page.  They are interesting spots to visit, regardless of whether it's a mosque, synagogue or country chapel.  It is a beautiful building regardless of whether Presbyterians or Baptists constructed it.  There is no reason to get into a discussion of the religious beliefs celebrated within the building.

It's fine to talk about hand sanitizer, too!

I am the OP's reviewer.  Another option is to create a cache page with a number of physical waypoints (i.e., multicache) for the general location of 10 churches, and submit that page for a coordinate check.  That is a good way to become aware of conflicts with puzzle solutions, multicache finals, etc., before going through the trouble of obtaining permission and placing the cache in its hiding spot.

• Helpful 2
1 hour ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I wouldn't thinks but the OP was talking about placing caches near churches, and that could easily lead one to the perception that their is an agenda associated with the caches.  Personally I think the ground around a church would be a good location, especially considering the architecture of some the older churches, but guidelines are guidelines.

Church micro's are popular in the UK and it's picking up in Belgium too. I don't care about any religion but we've done caches that require info in or outside a church and consider the info on the cachepage as just that, data... No listing will or can "convert" me anyway ;)

BTW, I've seen plenty of hints like "kneel and say a prayer" on caches near small chapels when a cache is hidden low or under a bench.

Edited by on4bam
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

1 hour ago, on4bam said:

Church micro's are popular in the UK and it's picking up in Belgium too. I don't care about any religion but we've done caches that require info in or outside a church and consider the info on the cachepage as just that, data... No listing will or can "convert" me anyway ;)

Church micros are practically  a religion to some UK cachers : according to that site, as of today there are 14,089 published Church Micros , nearly 11 thousand of which are active, and the number of cachers who have found one or more of them is 153,987 . UK rules forbid them being in the church/churchyard itself or the wall around it (unless  very specific permission for that hide can be shown) .

The information given on their cache page varies from huge swathes of architectural and historical information and photos to just a simple a link to a relevant page about the church .Quite a common CM type in my area is a multi cache based on information from the graveyard which surrounds many of the old churches. I've found a few ( not many as they are often in villages or urban areas, so not my kind of caching, more attractive to the drive by folk on the whole) and can confirm my atheism has not been adversely affected  by the finds or reading the pages :D

• Upvote 1