Louisiana Fall Meeting/Camp out -- WOOHOOO!

TJ Willy

Okay - I am going to try and rent a 20'x 20' canopy tent as a precaution depending on weather outlook friday. Rain percentange is now averaging 35% for the weekend according to weather.com. I am going to play it by ear till Friday... If it looks bad, I will have the tent there. It will take a couple of us to set this thing up also. So whoever is there Friday - be ready. If you have any other form of outdoor shelter or you know of one we can borrow without me having to rent this one, please let me know ASAP. That would save a little money. I am looking at $60 bucks for the tent. That's a lot of batteries!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks,

Phil

I hate to be the one to bring this up, but the forecast for the weekend is not looking favorable. If Lili continues on her current path, you'd be hard pressed to find me sleeping in a tent in the woods this weekend. Two computer models put it directly over the gathering some time Friday. icon_eek.gif

Is there a Plan B? What does everyone else think? Am I being too cautious? icon_confused.gif

Russell

[This message was edited by rpecot on October 01, 2002 at 11:06 AM.]

I hate to be the one to bring this up, but the forecast for the weekend is not looking favorable. If Lili continues on her current path, you'd be hard pressed to find me sleeping in a tent in the woods this weekend. Two computer models put it directly over the gathering some time Friday. icon_eek.gif

Is there a Plan B? What does everyone else think? Am I being too cautious? icon_confused.gif

Russell

[This message was edited by rpecot on October 01, 2002 at 11:06 AM.]

Man Im seriously bummin about the impending fate of Monkey Island Cache. I sure wanted to get that one.

Hey maybe it will show up around the Kincade lake area by the time of the campout and I can snag it there, Katie did yall remember to include the Emergency Locator Beacon?....

Buck8Point

-------------------------

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Broke.

quote:

Man Im seriously bummin about the impending fate of Monkey Island Cache. I sure wanted to get that one.

Hey maybe it will show up around the Kincade lake area by the time of the campout and I can snag it there, Katie did yall remember to include the Emergency Locator Beacon?....

It's nailed down pretty dern good. Unfortunately, the original steel cable tether went to a watery grave at the boat ramp. icon_frown.gif Either way, if it's heading for Kisatchie, it'll be following a large object that I definitely wouldn't want to be under when it comes down. icon_smile.gif

icon_smile.gif

alex

quote:

It's nailed down pretty dern good. Unfortunately, the original steel cable tether went to a watery grave at the boat ramp. icon_frown.gif Either way, if it's heading for Kisatchie, it'll be following a large object that I definitely wouldn't want to be under when it comes down. icon_smile.gif

icon_smile.gif

alex

test2.gif

We will be postponing the event due to popular demand. NOTE: If by some MIRACLE -and they do happen- Lili blows herself out or is gracious enough to turn and pummel Texas leaving us safe and sound, I will be having this event anyway. I know a lot of people have taken vacation or made special arrangements to be here and I will take that in to account.

But as of now, keep your eyes and ears open on the this board and the www.lageocaching.com for the next update.

Thanks,

Phil

[This message was edited by lageocaching on October 02, 2002 at 07:34 AM.]

This really bites! In addition to possibly ruining our weekend plans, Monkey Island may never be found! But I think we could claim it as the first cache to be plundered by hurricane. icon_wink.gif

"Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more." ~Mark Twain

This really bites! In addition to possibly ruining our weekend plans, Monkey Island may never be found! But I think we could claim it as the first cache to be plundered by hurricane. icon_wink.gif

"Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more." ~Mark Twain

Well I am always the optimist (not to mention the strings I had to pull to get outa here Friday) so I say if its past us and in Arkansas or Tennessee as predicted we should go on ahead with the event. "I aint fraid O no hurricanes", long as they are a few hundred miles away.

Sabaharr

Rain doesnt bother us any, matter of fact, it looks like the weekend ought to shape up pretty good, but if the feds close the Kisatchie NF to visitors then what do you do? The other thing is that who knows what mess we might have to clean up after the storm blows through...

This does indeed bite BIG time! icon_mad.gif By the way, dont wish it over here either. Its caused enough panic allready and it hasnt even gotten here yet! Maybe if we all chant at the same time,,,,GO BACK GO BACK GO BACK

[This message was edited by Mudfrog on October 02, 2002 at 04:09 PM.]

Rain doesnt bother us any, matter of fact, it looks like the weekend ought to shape up pretty good, but if the feds close the Kisatchie NF to visitors then what do you do? The other thing is that who knows what mess we might have to clean up after the storm blows through...

This does indeed bite BIG time! icon_mad.gif By the way, dont wish it over here either. Its caused enough panic allready and it hasnt even gotten here yet! Maybe if we all chant at the same time,,,,GO BACK GO BACK GO BACK

[This message was edited by Mudfrog on October 02, 2002 at 04:09 PM.]

Hold on there big guy... Rain and wind and even WEST NILE (the virus not the caching group) don't bother us either... Downed trees and powerlines, flooded homes, grid-lock, closed national forests, and other hurricane related disasters do.

We will see...

Big thing is even if it does pass with relatively little harm, if they don't open the forest, we HAVE NO CHOICE.

Believe me - I don't wish this thing on anyone Mudfrog...

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Hey folks, let's not downplay the power of mother nature.

Besides, the government doesn't think it's a good idea for us to play around in the woods so soon after Lili. From the USDA website (link provided by Mudfrog):

quote:
Today the Forest Service announced the closure of Kisatchie National Forest to all public uses as Hurricane Lili approaches the Gulf Coast. The closure will likely last a week.

For more information,

see news release.

Well, i havnt seen hardly anything on the news but i know ya'll had a fight on your hands with Lili and we hope that everyone made it through this disaster ok.

Phil and Stephanie, ya'll did a tremendous job putting this together and its a shame that we have to postpone, but i know that we'll all get together and have a great time after this is all over... Main thing now is that everyone is safe!!

Well, I was debating on whether to go up and hang out on Saturday with everyone...but as I left town last night I was thinkin there's NOOOOOO WAYYYYYYY I'm coming back down here to hang out in the woods with a buncha trees in the middle of a hurricane! BUT, now that the date has been changed, I will make plans to attend!

Kris

=============

If life gives you lemons, stuff them in your shirt to make your boobs look bigger!

I thought it would be possible to have the event this weekend. The sun is shining and it is cool with a nice breeze here in Alexandria.

But what hurts us now is the damage the winds caused Louisiana. High winds have downed power transmission lines, trees, signs, etc. I know you guys down south were hit hard in places and believe it or not we were hit hard.

If we had like two days before the weekend, I think we could all still get together. But since This is Friday and many folks wanted to come in tonight, I just think it is too late.

Sorry guys icon_rolleyes.gif, I really wanted this to come together this weekend for many reasons. Steph, for one, will be leaving for Florida Sunday and won't be here for the next one. That is the biggest reason for me. But what can you do.

Everyone be safe and drop me line when you can. I would like to know how the storm affected you personally. I am thinking of putting a special area on lageocaching.com for those affected by the storm. Since she did blast our event out of the water... well, the woods anyway. (The forest service line is STILL busy. I think they took it off the hook. icon_frown.gif)

Be sure to check out www.lageocaching.com for the latest in the event changes.

Thanks,

Phil

I thought it would be possible to have the event this weekend. The sun is shining and it is cool with a nice breeze here in Alexandria.

But what hurts us now is the damage the winds caused Louisiana. High winds have downed power transmission lines, trees, signs, etc. I know you guys down south were hit hard in places and believe it or not we were hit hard.

If we had like two days before the weekend, I think we could all still get together. But since This is Friday and many folks wanted to come in tonight, I just think it is too late.

Sorry guys icon_rolleyes.gif, I really wanted this to come together this weekend for many reasons. Steph, for one, will be leaving for Florida Sunday and won't be here for the next one. That is the biggest reason for me. But what can you do.

Everyone be safe and drop me line when you can. I would like to know how the storm affected you personally. I am thinking of putting a special area on lageocaching.com for those affected by the storm. Since she did blast our event out of the water... well, the woods anyway. (The forest service line is STILL busy. I think they took it off the hook. icon_frown.gif)

Be sure to check out www.lageocaching.com for the latest in the event changes.

Thanks,

Phil

Hey Gang,

If you have not signed up for the newsletter at www.lageocaching.com, you need to. I am near completion and almost all of the articles needed for the newsletter have been submitted. (Just waiting on one.)

Please visit the site and subscribe to the newsletter. Read our privacy statement about your personal information first if you want. Also, you may unsubscribe at any time.

Thanks everyone,

Phil