Your favorite geocache log

Funny?  Helpful?  Post the favorite geocache log you've either written or seen here.

I'll start with one I wrote a few years back; I got several fun emails in response to this from later cachers...

#532- what a crazy adventure at this cache!

I had the parking lot pretty much to myself when I arrived, and I spent a little time poking around while my car idled nearby. I quickly found the cache, signed the log, and after replacing the cache I turned around to find a man standing behind me.

"It's Opening Day!" he said.

"Thanks! Um, Happy Opening Day to you!" I replied, feeling a little surprised and uncomfortable.

"Not a baseball fan?" he asked. He seemed to be a little annoyed at me.

"It's fine," I replied. "Sorry, I need to get going."

"Yankees or Mets?" he asked, seeming even more annoyed.

"Um, Yankees?" I replied.

"Wrong answer." he said, in a pretty nasty manner. Now I was getting really creeped out. "Let me get you an Opening Day gift to help you celebrate the day," he continued, walking back to a nearby car that I hadn't noticed before.

By this point I was freaking out. As he walked away, I quickly jumped into my car and put it in drive. Out of the passenger window I saw him running toward my car... with a baseball bat!

"Have a nice day!" he shouted, swinging the bat and smashing my side window.

I gunned it onto the highway and took off, my heart racing. That was the worst thing to ever happen to me while geocaching! Thankfully I wasn't hurt but my car needs to be fixed up. From now on I'm going to be more careful when caching!

TFTC & Happy April Fool's Day!
- GeoElmo6000

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1

I left Peg to watch the car while I went on the hunt. Don’t know how it happened but all of a sudden I was in some kind of a “Twilite Zone”. Way east of the cords and a swamp from hell between me and the coords. I knew that I had parked and left Peg maybe miles west but I couldn’t see that far what with the fog and all those cypress trees and vines blocking the view. Tried my cell phone but no signal. Time for survival instincts to take over, also known a panic time. While trying to collect my thoughts I heard a faint little, squeaky voice ask if I needed some help. HELP? I needed a miracle and a guide, preferably one with a canteen before I “croaked”. Well, this little green thing that looked like a talking frog hopped up close to me and said he had a small raft he could rent me but I was on my own crossing the swamp. I asked why he couldn’t guide me across and said he wouldn’t even consider crossing that swamp, his business was rental only. We finally settled on a fee (everything but my shorts and GPSR) for the raft but then that little &^%$*(&^ reminded me that I would need a paddle or I would be up that well known—( never mind, you know the rest). I had to have the paddle so there went the shorts. Crossing a metro swamp with nothing but a GPSr to hide your modesty isn’t something I recommend on a Saturday afternoon in the middle of town and a doggie park thrown in for good measure. I also found out that all those vines hanging out of the trees were not vines. I figured that out real quick when they started following me with their white mouths open for dinner. Several hours later and a little bit smarter I broke out of the fog and trees. There was “patient Peg” sitting on a nice bench wondering if I would ever return and hoping -- never mind. Well anyway I wrapped some bushy limbs around me and finished what we came for. TFTC/TN/LN/SL. And that's the truth!

I'm having a friend log this find for me. The swelling in my fingers won't allow typing for several more weeks. But the doctors are hopeful that I'll regain full use of my hands...
Cujo repellent was definitely necessary today! After going off road for a while we managed to sneak past a large gathering of muggles in search of this treasure. A swarm of cujo type hounds guards the entrance to this cache. Beware! The kayak came in handy more than once, but we lost our jar of flies during an ill-fated roll-over that was necessary to avoid a swarm of bees. Using the rope to pull ourselves to shore we became entangled in a cluster of hanging vines....we were forced to abandon the kayak and swim for shore. This was a scary proposition considering all the species of frogs that inhabit this area. Don't leave home without the recommended book, "Dangerous Frogs of Oklahoma." If you're bold enough to attempt this cache without memorizing the appearance of the many species of poisonous frogs, you should probably add extra life insurance to your policy, update your will, and kiss the children once more before you go.
Excellent find! Once we get out of the isolation ward at the hospital we should be able to attempt geocaching again. The doctors say maybe by next summer.......
Took blue Air Force Reserves coin. Left a blue haired troll.

After the Geocaching Christmas Party, you know that we were going to have to hit some caches while we were out. So after loading up Kands Kaching van, we headed for this one first. As we neared the area, we could hear what sounded like a cry for help, almost a high pitched sound of something or someone with a foot caught in a bear trap and in need of assistance. So we stopped the van and headed over the wall and fence. Lo and behold but who did we find but OSU_Brigadier crooning to a group of frogs. Now I know what you are thinking because I had the same thought, it should have been too cold for the frogs but they were everywhere. I don't know if that pond is a cooling site for a secret nuclear reactor disguised as an apartment complex that Edmond has so the water stays warm or maybe at one time a toxic and radioactive waste dump that is still buried under the pond and slowly leeching into the water but I am not joking about the frogs. You could here the bull frogs croaking, see smaller frogs in the reeds and clinging to the trees and then groups of frogs everywhere. I was just glad there was no giant radioactive Gilligan Island frog hiding in the reeds with glowing eyes looking to snag a human for a meal. After waiting to see what OB was up too (hey I was thinking about licking a few too just to see what would happen), we all took off to find the cache. No problem other than the frogs we had to remove from the top of the cache so we could retrieve it. Found it in great condition, signed the logbook and hightailed it out of there before the frogs decided that we looked edibile. Thanks for a fun hunt and cache and showing me a cool froggy heaven I did not know about. Oh yeah, one cool frog-a-topia! And no, OB was not licking the frogs, it was just a joke. Nor was he singing to them. Really, he wasn't, I just wished the video camera didn't quit working

Excerpted from a DNF near a waterfall in Mexico:

I only had time to look for 1 hour.
I could've looked for 1½ hours, but I needed some time to kick back with a beer at a palapa bar and admire the waterfall.
I could've looked for 2 hours, but I needed some time for another.
I could've looked for 2½ hours, but I needed some time to ride the zip-line to the other side (W00T! Uh-oh. POW!) and back.
I could've looked for 3 hours, but it's just a box.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 1

This is my log from a few years ago:

[This was one FTF that I earned! I left the trailhead at 10:18, I reached the cache at 12:50! And it was only .85 miles away. DON'T try my route, unless you like nettles, thorns, spider webs, and bushwacking. The cache page mentions "Surprise Creek Trail" but doesn't mention that this is just the beginning (or the middle, since you start on another trail). If you're using the Cougar Mtn Park trail map, it will help you get to the trail, after that you're on your own. About the junction with E7 Goode's Corner Trail I lost signal. It was still .6 miles, so I thought I'd keep going and maybe find signal down the trail (and it is DOWN). I did a rough estimate on the map of how far to go. When I got there still no signal (two sats reading, sometimes). After hunting around, mostly looking for "large logs" I got signal again for about 15 seconds, long enough to get a reading to the cache - still .48 miles! I did some rough map & compass work (it would be nice to have some grid lines on the park map) I figured it was waaaaay up there - dang, no trails in sight. I decided to try the E7 trail as it might be bending in the right direction (on the map it ends at the park boundry). On the way back up the trail, I met Geodeez. They didn't have signal either. We decided to go together, just as we were about to leave their 60cs got the signal, yep, .6 miles that way. A short ways up E7 we broke out on to a powerline. And the arrows' are pointing right down it! Not much of a trail thru the grass but enough. About the time I'm zipping on my pant legs (convertible pants are great! especially when nettles show up) Geodeez decides to head back as they have other things to do (very smart move on their part), I push on (not so smart). The trail comes and goes in tall grass, thisles, and bushes, and then ends in a wall of sticker bushes. There is a small opening (animal size) so I plunge ahead, somewhere in there a blackberry bramble wraps itself around my right arm and trys to shred it - more or less successfully too. I pick the thorns out and wish I'd broght the camera so I could post a picture. By now I'm committed, the way back it worse than going on. The next wall I try to detour around by going into the woods - of course I lost signal and ended up down a drainage gully. I climb back up to the powerlines, fortunately these bushes don't have thorns, and see that I still have .3 miles to go (I'm considering hiking all the way down and hitchhiking back to the car). Finally I see a break in the trees and find an old road. Surprisingly I keep signal. I follow it down to a point where it's turning away from the cache, and there is NO WAY I'm going down that slope. So I backtracked a little to a faint path heading somewhat the right way. This lead to a better path heading right for the cache - hooray! Of couse the signal waffled a bit, sending up and down the trail without settling, but I did see a large log. So I probed around and found the Traveling Cache, that means (hopefully) the cache should be right up there! Look, but don't see, so start probing - thunk, thunk. Yipee! No one has been here! Grabbed the TB's, tossed in some TB's, took the chopsticks, left a clamp and a pen (logbook didn't have one). Now I hope this trail connects to the park's trails so I can get home today. I make one guess at a trail junction (these are all unlabled) that does lead me to the trail home. It turns out I should have gone a bit farther a first and I could have found it. I left the cache at 1pm, arrived back at the car at 1:45. That was some trip. Thanks for the great hunt - I certainly took the way less traveled!
A bit of help for finding the right trail: ] Whfg n nsgre yrnivat gur cnex, nf gur genvy gheaf evtug, ybbx sbe n fznyy juvgr fvta &dhbg;Funatev Yn Gnyhf Qrgbhe&dhbg; jvgu n pvepyrq fvk. Gur fznyy genvy oenapuvat yrsg jvyy yrnq lbh gb gur genvy arrqrq.

My log from Ode to Gilligan:

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale
A tale of a caching spree
That started with a multi-cache
And a puzzle/mystery (a puzzle/mystery)

The third cache was traditional
An ode its owner wrote
To a silly 60s TV show
and a badly damaged boat (a badly damaged boat)

I pedaled down the creekside trail
And reached the Minnow's spot
I picked up lots of litter there
The container I found not (container I found not)

The sun had set, I had to go
I'd log a frownie face
But then I took one final guess
And found the hiding place (and found the hiding place)

I took a nickle, signed the log
I left a small seashell
Ten Euro cents and a sig token
And then I said "farewell" (and then I said "farewell")

I packed my stuff, switched on my lights
And pedaled down the road
My caching spree had ended here
Here at Gilligan's Ode!

[I left a niradw sig token, since I haven't made niraD sig tokens yet. The "not much nearby trash" line is a little more accurate now. TFTC!]

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Love 1

Just sit right back and you'll read a tale
A tale of a winter break
That started from a skier's trail
Across this frozen lake.

The crew was a motley caching bunch

With snowshoes, high they'd ride
Eight cachers set off after lunch
For a five terrain hide, a five terrain hide.

The footprints started soaking through
The substrate fully slushed
If not for the courage of the fearless crew
The mission would be flushed, the mission would be flushed.

The gang splashed up on the shore of this moat-guarded forest isle
With G & E
And Coolcat too
MadMother and the bush dogs
Bad Cop, and Rick
Viajero Perdido too
Here on Team Viper's Isle.

34 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Just sit right back and you'll read a tale
A tale of a winter break
That started from a skier's trail
Across this frozen lake.

The crew was a motley caching bunch

With snowshoes, high they'd ride
Eight cachers set off after lunch
For a five terrain hide, a five terrain hide.

The footprints started soaking through
The substrate fully slushed
If not for the courage of the fearless crew
The mission would be flushed, the mission would be flushed.

The gang splashed up on the shore of this moat-guarded forest isle
With G & E
And Coolcat too
MadMother and the bush dogs
Bad Cop, and Rick
Viajero Perdido too
Here on Team Viper's Isle.

I almost posted one to the same tune!

A cache called "There Once Was a Cache from Nantucket" asked for limerick logs, here's mine:

We traveled to Bedrooms and More
for our waterbed leaked on the floor
a website peek
a cache to seek
before our shadows darkened their door.

We sought a cache from Nantucket
so long we almost said oh &^*% it
until we took
another look
and grabbed if from where you stuck it

I think limerick poems are a pain
for the pattern gets stuck in my brain
my mouth does spew
more than a few
and causes a conversational sprain

There's this little cache from Nantucket
that asks for a limerick to log it.
Many I did write
far into the night
Now, how the heck do I stop it?!

• Love 1

Heres a log from my Star Wars themed night cache. Sadly, it doesn't get many visitors. GC71G8N

Found it

3/17/2017

I was visiting my brother (xxx, a new geocacher) in xxx from my desert base when I saw this mission. There are two different versions of how we started to do it. I believe it was because I said "look, a mission to find a lost device and save the universe - we must do it, even though we might have to battle Ewoks." My wife and brother think I said something like 'look, here's a cache with a D/T rating that I need for my grid AND it's a night cache - we must do it!'

No matter, we set off on this mostly clear evening to save us all. With starry skies above, we walked along the lake. Just as we got to the spot where you turn into the woods we paused and looked down at the lake. There was some huge, dark mass moving towards us in a menacing fashion! We heard a loud chorus getting louder and louder - ribbet, Ribbet, RIBet, RIBBET! Threatened with this very real danger on one side but just the possibility of Ewoks in the forest we ran for the forest, soon picking up the white reflectors to guide us in.

We found the device, cracked the code to open and were soon on our way to the lost cache. Not long after that - mission accomplished! No Ewoks to be seen, but we knew what lurked above. We crept up, got to the dam and fled back to our starship, chased by the dark mass that seemed to be plopping along behind us. There were several other starships full of young people where we were docked on this Friday night. Is this some kind of rebel base on weekend nights? As we slid past some of the faces in the windows looked eerily like the creatures from the bar in Star Wars I. We jumped in our vessel and were gone at light speed in no time with the mission accomplished.

Now that we are back safe and sound it seems almost as if it never happened. Fortunately, we made it back undetected. Wait, what's that sound I hear outside of my bedroom window? Ribbet.

Thanks for the fun cache! Fav point, for sure.

Here's one I left after the CO asked for a Creepy Key Story to go with the skeleton key in the cache:

DDDD and I were out geo-caching today when we suddenly realized how late it was getting. We had hoped to make one more stop before quitting for the day so we stopped at this cache on the way home. It was already well past dark and a thick fog was beginning to roll in.

Under the dim light of the streetlamp and the full moon, we began our search. As we carefully explored the area, we noticed the ghostly figure of a man standing under the light. The fog swirled around him as his dark eyes followed us suspiciously.

Approaching him, we heard him say these words:

"Black Bart am I, of stories old.
Rich mens' stagecoaches supply me gold.
Always a gentleman, I'm fair of speech.
To scoundrel bankers, a lesson I teach!

My treasure lies in a hidden chest.
I guard the key. I take no rest.
If ye dare remove the key,
Upon my word, I shall haunt thee!"

We quickly located the cache and logged our visit. The key glistened within its case, tempting us with promises of Black Bart's famous lost treasure. But neither of us wished to risk his wrath so we left the key where we found it. I snapped a picture as we drove away. You can just make out Black Bart standing under the lightpost. He remains the Gentleman Bandit and poet, forever guarding the key to his treasure chest.
Happy Halloween!

Black Bart robbed dozens of stages in Northern California. His loot is still sought by treasure hunters and historians.

blackbart.jpg

Edited by G0ldNugget
added image

My log on a cache at the top of a tree, found on April 1st.

Grabbed this cache as a fly-by cache and dash. Exited the plane at 15000 feet, and had ~6 minutes freefall before deploying the 'chute at 3000 feet. I had to circle the DZ a couple of times looking for the cache so I knew where to aim for, but I was able to hold against the wind until I spotted it and was right on target. It was at this point that I realised my pen must have fallen from my jump suit pocket during the barrel roll at 10000 feet icon_smile_sad.gif, luckily on my way in I managed to grab a green twig and on the way past the cache I was able to grab,initial,photograph(attached) & return it without stopping, and then had a soft landing.

All in all quite an exhilarating experience, thanks for the cache on this special day!

special equipment used:

Cessna 182.
Aerodyne Triathlon competition canopy.
Blackberry bold 9200

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

here would be several logs, but this log was the first one that came to mind, and one I could find easily. GC40BEF

This cache hadn't been found for over two years, so about time it was checked up on icon_smile_big.gif. So, as the day was hot and we have had a dry spell in weather, off Decrypter and I set, without knowing the full extent of what we were in for. However, we brought leather gloves (best thing we did bring), Decrypter had secateurs and we had gum boots (ex horse riding rubber boots filling in for them for me). However, I wore my normal hiking boots, planning to swap them for the rubber riding boots when needed.
The first section was easy. We had done that route before to find another cache (a failed attempt for a FTF late at night, and later a successful find in the daylight). It was after that, that the going got difficult. One word... blackberries icon_smile_evil.gif!!
Decrypter was eating blackberries and I had got a little ahead, so I approached the FIRST blackberry wall. I peered down a low, narrow animal hole through them; sighed and then down on hands and knees I had to go. Rather Alice in Wonderland! I crawled some of it; some I slithered through on my stomach; getting scratched and caught up in blackberry thorns. Behind I could hear Decrypter snipping his way in with the handy secateurs he was carrying. Then there would be a short section where I could stand, before I plunged down another hole. There were several sections of crawl on knees, kneeling at times on thorns, and other narrower, lower sections where I was on my stomach slithering. While doing this I was throwing my backpack ahead of me. Tiring icon_smile_tongue.gif!! Finally, we arrived closer to GZ, where there were less blackberries and we could walk. The ground was muddy here, but no where, we were pleased to note, as badly as some of the photographs taken by other people. The dry spell we have had worked out for us. Decrypter had worn his gumboots, but I stayed in my hiking shoes the whole way, without needing to change. My boots were in my backpack, and fortunately could and did stay there.
The cache was spotted and the log signed. The log and cache are good.
Then it was back the way we had come, the route now easier to negotiate, because Decrypter had done a lot of helpful pruning.
I have blackberry scratches on my legs, shoulders, back and arms icon_smile_blackeye.gif. It was my arms that suffered worse, with blood running from the scratches. The back of my t-shirt is full of holes and destroyed.
But despite all this a really fun outing, so I am giving this a favourite. TFTC Tankengine.
PS. Does the Amazon have blackberries?

Suggestions for future searchers. Leather gloves, secateurs, knee pads, thick long sleeved shirt you don't want to keep, in case it is destroyed (as my t-shirt was), and if you visit when the weather is wetter, gum boots. Enjoy icon_smile_wink.gif.

(People's photographs illustrate the outing.)

Log for https://coord.info/GC14W63

Namib Desert EC:

A sea of red sand with miles and miles of rolling ironized waves.
Waves so high it drowns you out as you stand below it's feet.
But it holds a magical charm. It draws you nearer and invite you up its slopes.
It sucks you in with a promise of spectacular views from the crests.
And when you are deep inside the desert, and the dunes circles you all sides.
And the burning sun starts to slide from the blue sky above.
Then, my friend you will find some peace in your soul.
For all that is wrong in this world does not matter at this time in this place.

Henzz, Namibia, Jun/29/2013

• Love 1

Log for Option 4.5

That was exhausting, and a little too much of an adrenaline rush.

Solved this not long after it came out, first using a different tool than the CO, so my results were slightly off. Once the correct tool was used, it was a matter of getting out to the coordinates. I thought that my Google map recon would be adequate, but I was wrong - a first attempt left me too far from the goal.

Since I knew the CO was keeping score, I posted my progress and, in due time, was rewarded with a lovely souvenir to taunt my chickening out.

Attempted again last week, but the timing was not good, tide was high and there was no way I was going to attempt that crossing. This time, I kept my aborted approach to myself, though I am curious as to what the CO's response would have been had I advertised my second stop.

Fast forward to today, I looked up the tides this time (all by myself!) and set out with this cache in mind. I knew it would be a hump, but I figured I'd get there in one piece (see image 1). I did not realize how much of a struggle it was going to be.

4aab6040-a4c6-4994-915e-f863f8caa877_l.j

Image 1: In which I approach the geocache

After stopping by the Tree of Shame (yay), I began my crossing. Scared the bejeezus out of a deer who had clearly not contemplated me as part of her day. I had scored some PVC pipes as walking sticks to help my passage, so I started using those. I watched in wonder as crabs a plenty scuttled out of the way - they do love hanging out at low tide.

Then I got stuck. And kept getting stuck. I was ten feet from the opposite shore and was going nowhere fast. (See image 2.)

d88c53e8-872e-498b-8f47-98f81e530d75_l.j

Image 2: In which I discover that mud is tricky

Visions of the crabs having me for a late lunch started dancing through my head. (See image 3.)

3587b520-4a35-43b8-b30e-af4c4e1e0474_l.j

Image 3: In which I was almost eaten by crabs

*Re-enactment may not be to scale.

I managed to pull free of the muck, though my PVC pipe canes were hopelessly stuck.

And then I didn't check my GPSr well and made another, unnecessary crossing. What do you mean, it's still 40 feet away, and back where I came from? Ugh. OK, use some sticks to disperse my sinking and cross back.

Now it's 40 feet the other way?! Hang on, this can't be right.

Before I started to cross again, I figured I'd give the the GPSr a chance to settle. It did, letting me know I was ten feet from my goal. I began my hunt in earnest. After some frustrated, jittery searching (it's amazing how much one's adrenaline rises after one thinks one is about to get trapped in the mud), finally spotted the container, which really wasn't super hidden, I was just super not seeing it well.

After doing my best to keep mud off the log (not 100% successful, but pretty good) and sign my name (less successful, due to the aforementioned adrenaline jitters, but I managed to scrawl something that mostly looks like "hzoi 10 JUN 18"), it was time to cross back over to the Tree of Shame, towel off, and head out. This crossing was much easier, as I took advantage of some downed trees to shorten my trip. Triumph! (See image 4.) I stripped off my muddy clothes, toweled off as best I could, donned the dry shorts I still had, tossed out my ruined pants and boots (don't worry, they were obsolete issue items, I planned ahead), and got back in the car for the drive home.

def7fd73-f690-458e-9a0c-82c7877aef35_l.j

Image 4: In which I celebrate my find

And that's when I found out that Fort Eustis has a "No shirt, no shoes, no service" policy. As in, they literally were about to not let me travel to my home because I didn't have a shirt on. I would not have thought this was a common enough occurrence to force the creation of such a policy, but apparently it is. Then again, Eustis is now a joint base run by the Air Force, and they have a policy for everything. So I guess I should not be surprised.

Anyway. I used my charming wiles to get through the gate, staggered into the house, took a nice, long shower, and then took a 2 hour nap. Well earned, I think - I was exhausted.

There is no such thing as an infamy point. So I guess I'll have to stick to awarding this a favorite point. Well done, you sicko.

f9682238-3be5-4696-8e19-694ba92b553a_l.j

Image 5: In which I provide proof of life

TFTC!

Christian (one third of hzoi)

• Love 2
21 hours ago, niraD said:

My log from Ode to Gilligan:

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale
A tale of a caching spree
That started with a multi-cache
And a puzzle/mystery (a puzzle/mystery)

<...>

I packed my stuff, switched on my lights
And pedaled down the road
My caching spree had ended here
Here at Gilligan's Ode!

Years ago I bagged a cache at the YMCA in Oneonta, NY (GC1JD7Y).

The Description was, of course, written to be sung.

My Log:

Hey, cache - do you need to be found?
Do you wait there, staring down at the ground?
Are you lonely, if no one stumbles by,
Were you glad when I said "I'll Try!"

I got the cache at the Y.M.C.A!
I found the cache at the Y.M.C.A.
Wrote my name on the sheet,
Thought the hide was quite neat,
Bumped my stats, and now let's go eat....

• Funny 1