Rusty with gpsmap 60csx

Boxcars

Been out of geocaching for a while but want to get back into it. Dusted off my trusty gps map, but I’m very rusty on loading caches into it. When connecting to GSAK, I get a generic error message. Basically doesn’t like the USB port. Tried different ports, no go. Also get a message on the gps saying storage is full, even though I have a 2gig micro sd  card installed. Is there an easier way around GSAK? I should add that this is my first time using this particular pc.

Edited by Boxcars
Needed more info
1 hour ago, Boxcars said:

When connecting to GSAK, I get a generic error message. Basically doesn’t like the USB port.

Try another USB cable.  Sometimes that fixes everything, using a different cable even when the current one works on other devices.

Here's a thread with more ideas, some kinda contradictory, plus an actual "old GPS" electrical contacts issue (and maybe some concerns about messing with that).

If that's no good, post more specifics about the errors.  If nothing works, you can manually type coordinates if you're only hunting a cache or two.

Edited by kunarion
31 minutes ago, Boxcars said:

So what should I do?

If the connection to Windows works (USB connection with device drivers, etc.), you next set up GSAK to access to the device as HHL mentioned.  Then get Geocaches, which GSAK can do in several ways.  Select one or many caches, then from the GSAK menu, use "GPS / Send Waypoints".

Here's an old thread that might help you figure out the SD card issue.

Edited by kunarion

Have you considered loading an app onto your smartphone and geocaching with that while you get back into it and gauge your level of participation? Geocaching has changed over the years, including the tools that we use and rely on. The 60csx was a fine GPS device and still is for remote wilderness navigation. But for geocaching, it's a bit outdated. Newer devices connect directly with generic mass storage mode (no drivers necessary these days) letting you drag and drop GPX files directly onto the device. They read GPX files with full geocache data and support for geocaching. And the latest devices will even download them directly over WiFi/data connection. 

But before going out and buying a new GPS, your phone + app will let you jump back into the game without a costly investment.

1 hour ago, Boxcars said:

So what should I do?

Along with HHL's good info, if it's been a while,  you could simply just load caches manually.     It still works fine, right ? 

Unless you're hitting power trails right off the bat, that should be good enough while "getting back into it".  :)

I still load caches manually to a 60csx, takes around a minute each, and jot hints and notes in a small notepad.   Not much simpler than that...

Later, if you really get back into it regularly, then maybe look into a newer model that easily loads caches  using today's methods. 

• Helpful 1

I am sending cache waypoints from GSAK to my Garmin GPSmap 60CSx mostly without issues. Make sure you get your GPS set up in GSAK for this model. Very occasionally it fails to find the connected gps. If I restart the computer and make the send the first thing I do it works. (maximum of 500 geocaches, not sure if that includes children, but its enough for me).

The gps date on the receiver is now incorrect due to the satellite week number roll over but it is not a big issue.

4 hours ago, HHL said:

The 's' in USB stands for serial. That said: Connect your unit with a USB cable and then use an app that uses the serial protocol via the USB port. MapSource or Easy GPS will do so.

Hans

MapSource and EasyGPS do not correct the date on the GPSR, which is what Garmin EOW software does do.

I suspect the reason the EOW software only supports serial connections is because only serial GPSr required the date to be reset. Most, if not all USB equipped Garmin GPSr were capable of dealing with the EOW issue without external intervention.

For my part I am happy to draw a line on this (non) issue. I apologise for some somewhat careless wording.  It was only recently that I noticed the date on my GPSmap 60csx was showing the incorrect date and to my knowledge the only downside is that the  tracklogs show the incorrect date. (If you get the DAYNUM and add 1024*7 and convert back that is the actual date). It was simply curiosity that eventually lead me into this forum. I can assure that you my device has a usb connection and something called External Data Auxilliary Power Point (4 pins in a square). The device has been well loved since being a Christmas present in 2009 and has been used to find several thousand geocaches, the only reason for needing it.

I have been using it recently in conjunction with an excellent mapping product called Viewranger and by tweaking GSAK managed to get almost the same features the current GPSmaps provide for geocaching. However this browsing has almost convinced me that a GPSmap 64sx with OSM mapping will suit my needs, be more convenient and take some of the load off my phone.

I realise I have gone a bit off topic, having appreciated your help I thought you deserved a fuller explanation.

11 hours ago, factotem said:

I can assure that you my device has a usb connection and something called External Data Auxilliary Power Point (4 pins in a square).

Yes, all GPSMAP 60 series have both Serial and USB connections! (see GPSrChive > GPSMAP 60 > Function)

The Garmin EOW software requires the serial cable connection be used.

The new 64x series are pretty robust, and include more memory + regularly updated OSM based TopoActive maps. Do note: The Garmin GPSr pre-loaded with TopoActive maps do not allow automobile or motorbike guided navigation.

Edited by Atlas Cached
10 hours ago, HHL said:

That's wrong.

Not so fast... 

I have verified this with several Garmin GPSr In my possession that were pre-loaded with TopoActive maps just to be certain I was not remembering wrong. 

Perhaps I was not precise enough with my statement, so I have reworded it for better clarity.

Here it is, 100% verified correct:

"Garmin GPSr pre-loaded with TopoActive maps will not allow automobile or motorbike guided navigation."

HHL has found a temporary work around by loading a newer map to an older Montana GPSr (which model is still unknown). I suspect a forthcoming firmware update will disable this functionality.

Edited by Atlas Cached

One really should be more courteous and cautious when making assumptions about others, as doing so (as in this case) frequently results in a disservice not only to your reputation, but an even greater disservice to all who may read your posts full of misguided misinformation.

5 hours ago, HHL said:

Please don't mingle ("I have verified this with several Garmin GPSr") the old preloaded maps of units with a "t" in their name and the new TopoActive maps. Both are different.

This is one of those self serving assumptions.

I certainly am aware of the differences between Garmin Topo 100k, Topo 24k, and TopoActive map products, and have most certainly not mingled them here, as you suggest.

In fact, I have access to nearly every available Garmin GPSr model that is pre-loaded with TopoActive mapping, and it is with these devices that I have performed real world testing to establish the factual results I have shared here.

5 hours ago, HHL said:

I found this (officially given by Garmin):

Coverage and Features of Preloaded TopoActive Maps (click here)

Seems you have done some research to find documentation that appears to confirm your position...

5 hours ago, HHL said:

Please give a link where you found that doubtful statement.

...however it also appears that you either A.) Quit your research prematurely after finding a single article that you felt proves your position, or worse, B.) You have failed to provide exculpatory evidence that clearly disproves your position.

5 hours ago, HHL said:

Happy Learning

Hans

5 hours ago, HHL said:

Happy Learning again :rolleyes:

Hans

This is a very 'sharp tone' to take with others, HHL. Unfortunately, it only serves to further damage one's reputation once it is demonstrated that the authority with which one pretended to speak with was only borrowed or assumed, and not deserved or earned.

While you do appear to have an older Montana 6x0 with add-on TopoActive mapping that is allowing you to route via 'Automotive' and 'Motorbike' activity methods, which you mistakenly assume would be the case for all Garmin GPSr...

• I was able to test more than a handful of Garmin GPSr pre-loaded with TopoActive maps and provide honest 'real world' results, void of any assumptions.

• I was also able to provide documentation that speaks directly to the information I have provided.

• I am also able to provide a screen capture when attempting Automotive or Motorcycle routing with pre-loaded TopoActive maps enabled:

1094981643_TopoActiveRoutingLimitations.png.da5c2afcd20e84cd03f3191ba19a3cdb.png

I will again repeat my previous statement for those here who wish to have the facts:

"Garmin GPSr models pre-loaded with TopoActive maps will not allow automobile or motorbike guided navigation."

Edited by Atlas Cached
On 6/27/2020 at 8:42 PM, Atlas Cached said:

"Garmin GPSr pre-loaded with TopoActive maps will not allow automobile or motorbike guided navigation."

HHL has found a temporary work around by loading a newer map to an older Montana GPSr (which model is still unknown). I suspect a forthcoming firmware update will disable this functionality.

On 6/28/2020 at 3:32 AM, HHL said:

This statement is pure nonsense, having in mind that Garmin sells these maps for just the use on units that are not preloaded.

Hans

From todays eTrex 22x/32x firmware 2.60 Change Log:

• Disabled automotive routing on OSM maps.

Edited by Atlas Cached

The official reason given is because they do not create the OSM routing data, they can not guarantee the accuracy and safety of the embedded automotive routing information, which 'could' 'lead to the device directing someone in an unsafe or illegal direction....

As someone who creates their own maps, I can understand this position and even find it reasonable, however I suspect their position also has a lot to do with wanting to continue to sell the City Navigator maps they have invested so heavily in.

Newer devices like the Montana 7x0 have an 'automatic map' feature that will select and enable the best map for the activity selected by the user (Automotive or Motorcycle = City Navigator, Hiking or Biking = TopoActive).

I do not have any influence over decisions that Garmin make, so I could not say for certain, but I do suspect this is the future path for new units, and more 'current' devices may also see similar updates (if they have not already).

For me, it is not a huge problem, as I much prefer using 'alternate' automotive navigation options to their 'nuvi' or 'Drive' products, which I find to be complete garbage.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Would be a bummer loosing turn-by-turn navigation without buying Garmin-Maps.

But getting to the liability argument I might hopefully even have misunderstood the disabling.

Does it only relate to the OSM-Maps Garmin itself is providing and not to the other free available OSM incarnations I and I guess most here are using?