Magnets and Waypoint advice pls

HeLoPa

Hello All,

I'm a muggle that has just discovered this sport via Youtube and am now stumbling my way through learning how to Geocache.

Many of my local caches are Nanos that need magnets. My question would be do you really have to use an extending magnet like I've seen people use in the videos? As a newbie I have a stubby magnet and don't have the money to splurge on fancy TOT at the moment. Would my stubby magnet do, or should I leave those caches till I can get some TOT? 

Also Waypoints. I want to do some multi-caches where I have to solve some riddles for a final GZ waypoint. Can you set that waypoint via the app, or do I have to go via google for that. I'm a one app kinda gal so want to limit how many apps I use while Geocaching.

Thanks all for the advice.

HeLoPA

Edited by HeLoPa

It may be rare to encounter a cache that requires magnets or even tools, but you won't be able to get every cache without some specialized tools, sometimes custom-crafted for retrieving a particular container!  I've done OK with a length of string, some sturdy wire that's easy to bend (such as a clothes hanger or gardening wire), and duct tape.  You can make just the right tool with a magnet on the end (or sometimes just a ball of tape on the end), while standing at the cache :anicute:.  Also carry a steel washer, maybe 1" in diameter.  Some containers have magnets, and you need steel to retrieve them.  A thin pole or hiking stick can be handy to add some length.

To be directed in The Official App to any custom waypoint, first start Navigation to any cache (such as the current cache you're hunting), then add the waypoint coordinates.  Now you can navigate to that waypoint.

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=102&pgid=721

Good luck! :)

Edited by kunarion
I was stuck in a cove with very high, slippery rock walls. Again.
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

It may be rare to encounter a cache that requires magnets or even tools, but you won't be able to get every cache without some specialized tools, sometimes custom-crafted for retrieving a particular container!  I've done OK with a length of string, some sturdy wire that's easy to bend (such as a clothes hanger or gardening wire), and duct tape.  You can make just the right tool with a magnet on the end (or sometimes just a ball of tape on the end), while standing at the cache :anicute:.  Also carry a steel washer, maybe 1" in diameter.  Some containers have magnets, and you need steel to retrieve them.  A thin pole or hiking stick can be handy to add some length.

Duct tape.  Yes!  I have used hiking sticks and I always have a couple coat hangers to use to make little hooks, etc.  Everything you say it right on.  My only addition used to be a mirror, but with cell phone cameras they are no longer necessary.

• Helpful 1
10 hours ago, HeLoPa said:

Many of my local caches are Nanos that need magnets.

My question would be do you really have to use an extending magnet like I've seen people use in the videos?

As a newbie I have a stubby magnet and don't have the money to splurge on fancy TOT at the moment.

Would my stubby magnet do, or should I leave those caches till I can get some TOT? 

That's odd, most nanos we see have magnets attached.     

If you're good at "rigging" something, I feel that's your best best.  Rather than have a gazillion tools lugging around, play MacGyver .    :)

We stopped going after urban/small park hides that would have those kind of caches, but when we did, a small spool of 12# fishing line, a rare earth magnet,  thick rubber bands , tweezers, and (like others) a foot or so of duct tape was always in the other 2/3rd's bag.

- Things most folks have laying around the house.  Replace fishing line with dental floss, add or remove bits n pieces based on what you find.  

You can get pretty creative with stick attachments.  ;)

• Helpful 1

Thank you guys so much for the advice! 

@Cerberus1, maybe that's what they mean when they mention magnets in the cache descriptions/hints. I live in an urban area so all of my local caches are Nanos ... I'm not sure what the magnet situation is as I haven't physically checked out GZ yet - I'm currently scoping them out on google earth to see if I can spot the most likely hiding spots so I am not searching too long when I finally visit GZ. I'm super worried about drawing muggle attention as these caches are in high muggle footfall areas XD.

I am going to have a look around in my dad's old tool kid and see what kind of stuff I can play MacGyver with. I am sure I can wrestle up some duct tape and rig up something or other to use to retrieve those pesky Nanos.  

Thank you @Kunarion for pointing out how to set the waypoint in the app, 

Edited by HeLoPa
corrections.

Aside from high terrain caches that require special equipment (such as climbing gear), those that require special tools are in an incredibly small minority ... in my experience.  Just get out there and start looking for those caches.  Good luck! ?

Edited by IceColdUK
In my experience. ?
21 hours ago, HeLoPa said:

Many of my local caches are Nanos that need magnets. My question would be do you really have to use an extending magnet like I've seen people use in the videos? As a newbie I have a stubby magnet and don't have the money to splurge on fancy TOT at the moment. Would my stubby magnet do, or should I leave those caches till I can get some TOT? 

I'm wondering if maybe you are interpreting the phrase in listings 'magnetic nano' as nanos that need magnets to  retrieve ?

If so, then you probably don't need to worry, as what you will find is a tiny container which is held on to some bit of street furniture by a built in magnet . Just pick the thing off with your fingers (not easy with winter gloves on !)

• Helpful 1
55 minutes ago, hal-an-tow said:

I'm wondering if maybe you are interpreting the phrase in listings 'magnetic nano' as nanos that need magnets to  retrieve ?

If so, then you probably don't need to worry, as what you will find is a tiny container which is held on to some bit of street furniture by a built in magnet . Just pick the thing off with your fingers (not easy with winter gloves on !)

Yes, that’s the typical clue for those things.  If the page says it’s “magnetic”, expect a Nano or key holder, and start looking around ferrous places.

16 hours ago, ras_oscar said:

i have never encountered a cache I could not retrieve because i don't carry a magnet. 

The last time I found one was two years ago. It was at the bottom inside of a chain-link fence post, and I could see a shiny “ring”. I had no idea if that was the cache or not, maybe a reflection or just trash, but I got my hiking stick with a magnet at the end... and it didn't work. The magnets didn't “grab”. I also tried a washer and that was no good. Then a ball of duct tape. Rather than sensibly assuming it must in fact be nothing, I went to the Dollar General a couple miles away and bought some super glue (mine dried up). Super glue on the duct tape did the trick (press it in place for a bit to let it set). Sure enough, that was the container, a flare tube with a magnet on the cap!  I'm guessing there were polarity issues with the magnets, and not enough mass to my washer.  The container's magnet kind of drags on the inside of the steel pole.

Anyway, if you find one that needs a “magnet” to retrieve it, it's definitely different from the usual ones. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion