In Market for New Garmin Handheld

TheVoxx

Hi Team

I am in the market for a new Garmin handheld. I have been using a 60Cst but after a recent trip to Arizona I found that Garmin Basecamp was no longer in use and Garmin Express does not support this device. I spent a few hours trying different ways to transfer the pocket queries from iCache to the gps with no avail. I am an infrequent geocacher and will use my phone app when I'm in urban environs. If I'm on a trail, I prefer to have a handheld. I have a Mac, so... I want your best advice for a Garmin that will easily transfer pocket queries from a Mac without having to be an IT Engineer. I want a color screen, the ability to preload a few pocket queries (1000-2000 caches). I want to spend around $200 or less and have a device that Garmin will support for at least another 10 years. I don't mind buying refurbs so if you have a Garmin licensed reseller I would be happy to look at their models according to your recs. Oh, and please don't try to sell me on another gps manufacturer, I will use Garmin for the remainder of my time on earth. 

Thanks

Danno aka TheVoxx

2 hours ago, TheVoxx said:

I am in the market for a new Garmin handheld. I have been using a 60Cst but after a recent trip to Arizona I found that Garmin Basecamp was no longer in use and Garmin Express does not support this device.

I spent a few hours trying different ways to transfer the pocket queries from iCache to the gps with no avail. I am an infrequent geocacher and will use my phone app when I'm in urban environs. If I'm on a trail, I prefer to have a handheld. I have a Mac, so... I want your best advice for a Garmin that will easily transfer pocket queries from a Mac without having to be an IT Engineer. I want a color screen, the ability to preload a few pocket queries (1000-2000 caches). I want to spend around $200 or less and have a device that Garmin will support for at least another 10 years. I don't mind buying refurbs so if you have a Garmin licensed reseller I would be happy to look at their models according to your recs. Oh, and please don't try to sell me on another gps manufacturer, I will use Garmin for the remainder of my time on earth. 

Curious...  You have very limited finds, why the need to PQ caches ?    Thanks.     :)

I've loaded caches manually to a blue legend when we started, and do the same still today with a 60csx .

A small notepad for hints or any other info, and I'm good...

You already use a phone for info.  Load that info to your long-discontinued model, and save a bit more for a model in the $400. range later.

On 3/13/2020 at 11:13 AM, TheVoxx said:

Oh, and please don't try to sell me on another gps manufacturer, I will use Garmin for the remainder of my time on earth. 

Lucky for you, Garmin is about all that is left for handheld GPS receivers.

You can go with just about any "modern" device - I consider modern to be anything made after the shift to paperless geocaching and full mass-storage-mode USB support.

Of the current lineup, the eTrex 30x will probably be your best choice within your budget. The 20x is also ok if you can handle not having the electronic compass.

If you want something more in tune with the experience of the 60Cst, you can look for a used 62s or a 64s. The 64s is my recommendation over the 62 just because it's a bit newer with more capable hardware.

Personally, I'm a fan of the Oregon series, and the Oregon 600 can be found for around $200 give or take. But the touch screen makes more sense to me.

Finally, if you're already used to using your phone in urban settings, there's no reason you can't use your phone to cache while hiking on trails. If 4G service is a problem, simply run and download your PQ before you leave using the app (or an app) and cache using offline mode. I recommend starting this way until you find yourself caching as hard as you did when you first started - or unless you are buying a GPS for more than geocaching.

On 3/13/2020 at 11:13 AM, TheVoxx said:

Hi Team

I want a color screen, the ability to preload a few pocket queries (1000-2000 caches). I want to spend around $200 or less and have a device that Garmin will support for at least another 10 years.  

Thanks

Danno aka TheVoxx

You don't want much, do you?

8^)

Non of Garmin's current GPSr offerings will be supported for 'at least 10 years' - This just isn't how the portable electronics game is played today. Technology moves too fast. Most units have support lifespans of maybe half that time. Doesn't meant hey will stop working after that, just means Garmin will likely have a newer and better unit out by then, and old unit supports will be dropped in favor of the latest and greatest stuff!

Less than $200? Your  GPSMAP 60 series was never that inexpensive (adjusting for inflation) - why do you not want something comparable today?

If you are already familiar with the GPSMAP series and like how they function, I would highly recommend the GPSMAP 66 - They can be had on sale for ~$300 (gpscity just had a great sale on them), and this unit will still be going strong for many more years.

Otherwise, I echo Mineral2 sentiments (mostly) but instead suggest the Oregon 7x0 for its advanced wireless features and capabilities. These can also be had for under $300.

If you must stay under $200, gpscity has some great deals on GPSMAP 78 series units right now.

Edited by Atlas Cached

When you buy your GPS is almost as important as what GPS you buy.  GPS prices are cyclical and will swing $100.00 or more depending on the model.  Example GPSMAP 66st  has a price $449 most of the time, but is priced as low as $349 at the right time.  GPSMAP 64st is currently running at $249 in most ads. It was priced at $199 last holiday season.  The best times for deals are of course major holidays, Black Friday, new model releases and season changes.  Large outlets like Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc also have spot sales to watch. If you know exactly what you want, then with a little patience you can land a great deal.  Older models of all kinds can be had on E-bay, just be sure to read the small print for condition and return policy.  Good luck in your hunt for a new GPS. 

• Upvote 1