Has Anyone Considered Disabling Caches Until the Virus Threat is Past

4 minutes ago, G.O. Cash said:

I suspect the amount of toilet paper someone is hoarding at home and their amount of common sense are inversely related...

They probably thought Corona was a kind of Diarrhea instead of a flu like disease ;)

Sometime in 2054 an old man will look in a cupboard and see his last roll of toiletpaper, bought in 2020 and say "it's done, I can die in peace now". :lol:

• Funny 4
3 hours ago, Oxford Stone said:

I can see scope for a "disabled and locked" status making it impossible to log online.

Worth it?

My views have wavered a little on this...  Currently(!), I don't see any changes to the rules - or to the way they're enforced - are really necessary.  (That said, I would like to know if any logs have been deleted on covid-19 disabled caches, and whether the appeals process has run any differently.)

I disabled my caches (in southeast UK) a few weeks ago, because at the time so many people - not just cachers - seemed to think that the social distancing guidelines didn't apply to them.  It was my very small bit towards helping spread the message ... rather than the virus!

I fully accepted that caching was a far lower risk than say, going to the supermarket, but I hoped that the cumulative effect of all our disablements would make a few people consider just how essential their caching activity was - particularly those who were making unnecessary journeys for the sole purpose of caching.

Judging by the activity from the last couple of weeks, it seems that most cachers around here - along with the population as a whole - are taking the stay at home guidance more seriously now.  (I'm not suggesting this is a direct consequence of the cache disablements, but every little helps.)

I'd still argue that caching goes a little beyond the exercise recommended, but that's just my interpretation.  Presumably, those still out caching are abiding by their interpretation of the guidance, and I don't think locking listings or deleting logs will change that.

7 minutes ago, meluc3 said:

We have found a few geocahces lately. We get as close as we can to the cache and take a picture and send to owner with note that we aren't comfortable touching the cache right now and all have been cool with that idea. It's giving us something to do! As far as the ones we have hid, we have not disabled and do not plan on doing so. People can use common sense and not touch it or use a glove or something if they must. We are not in an area where geocaching is hugely popluar so the time between the ones we find and others who find ours are usually sufficeint to be safe anyway I am pretty sure. 

You shouldn't feel comfortable logging a Found It then. 

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, meluc3 said:

Why not, we SEE the cache and take a pic without opening it in some cases. All owners have been open to this idea and have even said "what a great idea" in a couple of cases. Why is that not a find? I knew someone would have something to complain about here. We are trying to continue to go out and do something fun through these difficult times and getting a complaint here. Well, if the owner comes back and tells me that I cannot log, that's fine, but all have been very understanding right now and know that some flexibility may be needed right now.

Because it's the BASIS of geocaching. Find the container and sign the log. 

If you don't feel comfortable signing the log, then don't log a Found It. Log a Note. It's incredibly simple.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, meluc3 said:

We are trying to continue to go out and do something fun through these difficult times

Lots of us are! You are absolutely welcome to not sign a log. But don't give yourself a Smiley if you dont . Logging a Note instead of a Found It doesn't take anything away from getting outside and doing something fun. Sign the log if you want to earn the Found It. I'll repeat. Sign the log if you want to earn the Found It. 

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, meluc3 said:

We have found a few geocahces lately. We get as close as we can to the cache and take a picture and send to owner with note that we aren't comfortable touching the cache right now

We had a few of that. We "found it", saw it hanging in a tree, a bit too far on a branch over water, just across a brook... As long as the log isn't signed it's not a "found it" though.

Post a note for now and go back to sign the log later and THEN log a found it online. That's how the very first simple rule of geocaching as worked for 20 years.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

Geez, you maybe need to relax a little and stop being so condescending to me. I'll never post again to receive this criticism for what I thought might be an alternative for some folks since other owners have liked the idea and maybe I did not know that about the log vs. the find b/c no owner has disagreed with me doing this. 

I apologize. I thought you understood that you are supposed to sign the geocache log. 

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1

Yes I DO understand that, but assumed maybe some flexibilty may be given through Covid-19 was my point. Disregard all of my posts. I honestly thought I was doing something right and giving some helpful advice since other log owners have been willing to allow that. No more then...ya'll have made me feel like I am trying to cheat when I really only had good intentions here.  

You are not only ignoring the basics of geocaching, but encouraging others to follow your great idea? Just change your Finds to Notes. It's not that hard. 

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, meluc3 said:

If everyone knows the rules, then why would they follow my idea if they know it's wrong anyway

I have a theory. They didn't want to hurt your feelings. They're the CO and you went to the trouble of taking a pic of their cache so they gave you the win. 

Just in the past week on the forums is an example of a bunch of people logging Attended for a virtual event. They all knew it was wrong, because Groundspeak specifically gave them options and they ignored them all. They knew it was wrong and did it anyway because it gave them a +1 on their account.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 4
1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

But they kept their Finds!

I deleted because I did not know I left bad advice. I honestly haven't had time to delete mine and my son's caches we recently found, but I will when I get off work later. I am glad you two are having such a good time making me feel like crap. I am a female by the way. My skin isn't thick enough to be on here. I didn't know it was all this serious. I love geocaching, but not coming on here and getting schooled publicly for my mistakes.  

Melinda

• Love 1

Another thing to keep in mind - if a cache is physically there and someone signs it, knowing that the CO threatens to delete legitimate find logs, they don't have to log it immediately. Wait until it's all done then backdate the log.

Seriously, there is nothing a CO can legitimately do within the guidelines to stop someone trespassing or geocaching during this period.  That action is entirely between the geocacher and local law enforcement.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
36 minutes ago, meluc3 said:

I deleted because I did not know I left bad advice. I honestly haven't had time to delete mine and my son's caches we recently found, but I will when I get off work later. I am glad you two are having such a good time making me feel like crap. I am a female by the way. My skin isn't thick enough to be on here. I didn't know it was all this serious. I love geocaching, but not coming on here and getting schooled publicly for my mistakes.  

Melinda

Melinda,

Several geocachers in the last few weeks have suggested very similar things as you. Just look at the recent threads on Geocaching Topics to get a good feel of what has already been discussed. It can be very helpful to know what has been talked about regarding geocaching and the pandemic, about virtual caching (logging a Find without signing the log), Virtual events, etc., CO threatening to delete Found It logs if someone goes and finds their vivid disabled cache. Stay safe and healthy. 

Edited by Max and 99
Removed reference to female question.
  • Helpful 1
23 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Melinda,

I don't know what being female has to do with anything though.

Several geocachers in the last few weeks have suggested very similar things as you. Just look at the recent threads on Geocaching Topics to get a good feel of what has already been discussed. It can be very helpful to know what has been talked about regarding geocaching and the pandemic, about virtual caching (logging a Find without signing the log), Virtual events, etc., CO threatening to delete Found It logs if someone goes and finds their vivid disabled cache. Stay safe and healthy. 

He just said another deleted "his" posts and I took that literal so clarified. I am not trying to play victim. I am a very honest person and not knowing all the rules like I should, just left some goofy advice. I felt very embarrased by  what I posted and the condescending responses so I deleted them. Then the fact that I was called out for deleting them was an obvious post to get at me, and they did. I just don't understand the "tone" in which these replies are being left for me. Like I said, I will go back and note those instead of logging them when I have more time and will not ever post again on here. It's brutal for someone who is maybe not so experienced. I hope you stay safe and healthy too. 

Edited by meluc3
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, meluc3 said:

He just said another deleted "his" posts and I took that literal so clarified. I am not trying to play victim. I am a very honest person and not knowing all the rules like I should, just left some goofy advice. I felt very embarrased by the what I posted and the condescending responses so I deleted them. Then the fact that I was called out for deleting them was an obvious post to get at me, and they did. I just don't understand the "tone" in which these replies are being left for me. Like I said, I will go back and note those instead of logging them when I have more time and will not ever post again on here again. It's brutal for someone who is maybe not so experienced. I hope you stay safe and healthy too. 

That's great news! I'm glad to hear that you'll be editing your logs.

There's a lot of rural geocaching in your beautiful state, so I hope you can get back to enjoying it soon. 

54 minutes ago, meluc3 said:

He just said another deleted "his" posts and I took that literal so clarified.

I use "his/her" a lot in posts, not that one but most of the time looking at a nickname there's no way to know if someone M/F/X/Y/Z. Look at it a generic "his" just like when someone says "you're not supposed to.... whatever" it's not YOU specifically but just a generic "you".

Sorry you feel offended I used "his"  but also keep in mind many here on these forums don't have English as their first (or even 2nd/3rd) language.

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Sorry you feel offended I used "his"  but also keep in mind many here on these forums don't have English as their first (or even 2nd/3rd) language.

I wasn't even offended by you saying "his"? I just clarified I was female after reading it. Doesn't matter, really. Have a good day. 

• Upvote 2
15 minutes ago, on4bam said:

I use "his/her" a lot in posts

Easier to use more neutral terms, such as their/they. In the past masculine terms were used, as females didn't count (exist), but times have changed, and in English neutral terms are now used more often, so as not to offend and exclude. I understand that when English is not your first language this can be tricky, but I would hope that all languages are now acknowledging that females are equal and shouldn't be still relegated a second class position in how the language is spoken.

3 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

I would hope that all languages are now acknowledging that females are equal and shouldn't be still relegated a second class position in how the language is spoken.

I in no way whatsoever infer that women are second class when I use "his" as a generic pronoun. But point taken. 

10 hours ago, Oxford Stone said:

Maybe it's just in our area that there is a spate of "I will automatically delete any logs and archive the cache, spoiling the game for everyone" type actions by at least 4 COs I can think of.

Nope we have the same kinds of people on this side of the Atlantic. A bunch of COs disabled all their caches and some are deleting any log they received because we are at a stay-at-home order here where it's strongly discouraged to take your car for exercice.

Would be nice from Groundspeak to do a newsletter about Disabled cache guidelines because there are too many conflicting opinion in the community.

10 hours ago, Oxford Stone said:

Maybe it's just in our area that there is a spate of "I will automatically delete any logs and archive the cache, spoiling the game for everyone" type actions by at least 4 COs I can think of.

I know it's happening in the community,  but I haven't seen anyone in my area exhibit this behavior. 

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

Nope we have the same kinds of people on this side of the Atlantic. A bunch of COs disabled all their caches and some are deleting any log they received because we are at a stay-at-home order here where it's strongly discouraged to take your car for exercice.

Would be nice from Groundspeak to do a newsletter about Disabled cache guidelines because there are too many conflicting opinion in the community.

As noted in the other thread, Keystone has been clear about the HQ policy about deleting found logs where the log was signed.  That covers that.  HQ makes only the following statement, which I pointed you to in the other thread as well:

HQ’s response to COVID-19

As the Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) situation rapidly evolves around the world, the geocaching community has many questions about how the game will be impacted. Geocaching HQ will update this page with information as it becomes available. For timely updates, please also monitor our social media channels: Facebook / Twitter.

We strongly encourage geocachers to follow the most current guidance from public health authorities when choosing how to participate in activities such as geocaching. Read the Geocaching Blog for tips about how to stay connected with geocaching during these challenging times, especially if you cannot go out right now. Your health and safety are the top priority!

30 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

As noted in the other thread, Keystone has been clear about the HQ policy about deleting found logs where the log was signed.  That covers that.  HQ makes only the following statement, which I pointed you to in the other thread as well:

HQ’s response to COVID-19

As the Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) situation rapidly evolves around the world, the geocaching community has many questions about how the game will be impacted. Geocaching HQ will update this page with information as it becomes available. For timely updates, please also monitor our social media channels: Facebook / Twitter.

We strongly encourage geocachers to follow the most current guidance from public health authorities when choosing how to participate in activities such as geocaching. Read the Geocaching Blog for tips about how to stay connected with geocaching during these challenging times, especially if you cannot go out right now. Your health and safety are the top priority!

What is the % of the community that go on the forum? 0.01%? Pretty low compared to a newsletter received by any geocaching account.

There are nothing in this message from HQ about disabled cache.

Edit : Also any plan from HQ to use the Annoucement section of this forum ? Nothing since the pandemic.

Edited by Lynx Humble
add info

This was pointed to in this week's newsletter that went to everyone with a valid email address.

Perhaps the reason that HQ hasn't told everyone to disable their caches is because they don't want to tell everyone to disable their caches?

Perhaps the reason that HQ hasn't told COs to delete any logs on any found caches is because they don't want to tell COs to do that?

Perhaps HQ is doing what they said they planned to do ... distributed management of this issue, allowing local reviewers to deal with the specifics in their area, further suggesting "We strongly encourage geocachers to follow the most current guidance from public health authorities when choosing how to participate in activities such as geocaching."

• Helpful 1
23 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

What is the % of the community that go on the forum? 0.01%? Pretty low compared to a newsletter received by any geocaching account.

12 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

This was pointed to in this week's newsletter that went to everyone with a valid email address.

I can assure you, I don't get newsletters and do have a valid email address so don't assume everyone gets them.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

There are nothing in this message from HQ about disabled cache.

Edit : Also any plan from HQ to use the Annoucement section of this forum ? Nothing since the pandemic.

That's odd, the update came in my Newsletter today...   :)

No need,, it's "You can temporarily disable your cache page if the cache needs repairs or if the area is closed temporarily. " right in our Help Center, under "Ownership after publication".

Many issues here seem to be folks who don't care that an area's still open, they want their area closed to caching, while others are upset because some seem to be "breaking the rules" by caching in "closed" areas.

Since when has breaking the rules ever been an issue here ?    :D

Didn't you just state how few enter the forums ?   

11 hours ago, on4bam said:

They probably thought Corona was a kind of Diarrhea instead of a flu like disease ;)

Sometime in 2054 an old man will look in a cupboard and see his last roll of toiletpaper, bought in 2020 and say "it's done, I can die in peace now". :lol:

We had a case here where a son of a long deceased father remembered his dad was a hoarder. His dad's garage was still as it was when the old man passed, filled floor to ceiling with stuff and, sure enough when searched, there was hundreds of rolls of TP still in their original packaging.

• Funny 1
4 minutes ago, colleda said:

We had a case here where a son of a long deceased father remembered his dad was a hoarder. His dad's garage was still as it was when the old man passed, filled floor to ceiling with stuff and, sure enough when searched, there was hundreds of rolls of TP still in their original packaging.

I'm aware of the Depression Syndrome.  When we moved out of the house in the mid-60's, where we'd lived for twenty years, we found six five-pound bags of sugar in a basement closet that had been hiding there for twenty years.  Along with a lot of other stuff that had been stored there.  

2 hours ago, on4bam said:

I can assure you, I don't get newsletters and do have a valid email address so don't assume everyone gets them.

My mistake.  I didn't realize that you had the option of opting out of the newsletter.  Then again, that means that those who missed that information more than likely cut themselves off from the source of the information.  Nothing to be done for that.

2 hours ago, Harry Dolphin said:

I'm aware of the Depression Syndrome.  When we moved out of the house in the mid-60's, where we'd lived for twenty years, we found six five-pound bags of sugar in a basement closet that had been hiding there for twenty years.  Along with a lot of other stuff that had been stored there.  

The dad was a post war migrant from Europe who had suffered much deprivation during the conflict, physical and psychological.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

It’s an option under Account Settings > Email Preferences.

Yes, that's where I turned it off years ago.

6 hours ago, ecanderson said:

My mistake.  I didn't realize that you had the option of opting out of the newsletter.  Then again, that means that those who missed that information more than likely cut themselves off from the source of the information.  Nothing to be done for that.

Not sure how it is now but GDPR requires opt-in, not opt-out. So at least from the moment GDPR started you need to subscribe to the newsletter yourself.

11 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

Here (UK) people are getting fined if the police find them out in a car and it's not for shopping etc. Not many police though! I have an old schoolfriend in Cambridgeshire, owns a farm near the only lake in the area and he says there are loads of cars at trailheads ("oh we're just getting some exercise...")

As an ex-resident of France I wan't surprised at their system - you have to carry a printed form saying why you're out - or pay a hefty fine. They do like their paperwork and ID documents in France - I remember getting a right telling-off for going out to buy a baguette (400m round trip) one day with no ID on me. But then I came back to England and carry my driver's licence in my wallet (which I then have with me 90% of the time, so it kind of rubbed off on me!

Getting the feeling we're slowly passing the peak of this - I'm mentally prepared for this lifestyle until the end of May, will start to get a bid fidgety after that!

7 hours ago, on4bam said:

Yes, that's where I turned it off years ago.

Not sure how it is now but GDPR requires opt-in, not opt-out. So at least from the moment GDPR started you need to subscribe to the newsletter yourself.

I always got the newsletter, and never had to opt back in when the GDPR started to come into play.  My previous setting was apparently honored.

2 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

I always got the newsletter, and never had to opt back in when the GDPR started to come into play.  My previous setting was apparently honored.

I meant that new registrations on GC would have to opt-in, old members would keep their subscription options.

BTW, I always decline all newsletter/offer and other options :ph34r:

On 4/15/2020 at 3:58 AM, Oxford Stone said:

Here (UK) people are getting fined if the police find them out in a car and it's not for shopping etc. Not many police though! I have an old schoolfriend in Cambridgeshire, owns a farm near the only lake in the area and he says there are loads of cars at trailheads ("oh we're just getting some exercise...")

As an ex-resident of France I wan't surprised at their system - you have to carry a printed form saying why you're out - or pay a hefty fine. They do like their paperwork and ID documents in France - I remember getting a right telling-off for going out to buy a baguette (400m round trip) one day with no ID on me. But then I came back to England and carry my driver's licence in my wallet (which I then have with me 90% of the time, so it kind of rubbed off on me!

Getting the feeling we're slowly passing the peak of this - I'm mentally prepared for this lifestyle until the end of May, will start to get a bid fidgety after that!

After some early confusion and tales of heavy-handed policing, the official police guidance is that you're OK driving a few miles (it's undefined how many miles) to a trailhead so that you can walk or cycle and get your once-a-day exercise. After all, if you live in a town and there's a cycle trail five miles away, it's pretty silly to require people to cycle or walk the five miles of dangerous roads, potentially spreading the virus on the way and risking accident or crime , rather than spend ten minutes sealed in a car.
I did consider disabling my caches when the lockdown started. I held off to wait and see. There seems very little activity on the caches presently and while things remain quiet I don't see any point in disabling them. The occasional log is (presumably) from geocachers on their exercise walk, and why should they be denied a cache log? If one of my caches was in a particularly dubious location such as outside a busy shop I might consider disabling it, but certainly the ones spread around the countryside seem to be quite within the regulations as long as people continue using common sense and sound judgement.

Edited by Keystone
fixed quote
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

Here (Belgium) non-essential driving is still forbidden (€250 fine). It's specifically forbidden to drive to go walk/bike elsewhere. There was some finetuning to this rule by allowing people with <5 year old children and seniors to drive a short distance to a park. Sitting on a bench while on a walking/biking tour is still forbidden. In some places benches were removed. Playgrounds are cordoned off. Yesterday was decided that no mass events are to be held until the end of August. Several big multi-day festivals are now cancelled. Current regulations stay in effect until May 3rd.

1 hour ago, Happy Humphrey said:

as long as people continue using common sense and sound judgement.

Yup.... Common sense as in buying toiletpaper for the next 25 years?  Some recycle parks opened again recently here,  Some waited in line for hours as they opened...

On 4/15/2020 at 6:25 AM, Lynx Humble said:

it's strongly discouraged to take your car for exercice.

Yes, but often you can walk or cycle to a cache. I have been preserving some caches closer to home for times like this, and have been cycling to them as my exercise. We don't have lock-down in the ACT where I live, just strong advice to stay home, which appears to be working, as we have only had one new case in the last five days. However, over the border in NSW, about six kilometres from my house, they have lock-down, but they are allowed out for exercise. I am thinking of riding across the border as part of my exercise and to log a cache. The bike path to the border, runs close to my house. I don't expect to be stopped on a bike as that's exercise (& how do they know where I live?), but I might in a car with ACT plates, as that's not exercising. Some borders in Australia are closed, but not the ACT's border with NSW. However, driving far is discouraged and you are likely to be stopped. The cache I am targeting is not far. Best to ride or walk from your house for exercise, and draw less attention.

Edited by Goldenwattle

My nearest unfound cache is 5.6 miles away by bike and (4th calendar loop) I want to get a cache next Saturday... either I go for that cache, log a liar cache (got 1 or 2 in stock) or just leave it  for a year...

Junior and I have been on ~1-hr bike rides, 2 to 6 miles, every day for the last 12 days... not used a bike that much in my life! He's picked up 4 or 5 caches I'd done on my own, but I've not found a cache since we got 22 on 22nd March, day before UK lockdown.

It's very area-dependent and up to the area reviewers, of course.

Back in late June, our reviewers in Ontario started sending reminders that caches were disabled - essentially, not forcing anyone to re-enable their cache listings, but moving to a system of "log a note every 4-6 weeks so that we know you're still active".  So it's pretty much the normal, built-in system now: a CO can keep the caches disabled, but they must let the world know they're still alive and kicking. As one of our reviewers said,

"There's no way to be sure if a cache has been Disabled and forgotten, Disabled and abandoned, COVID-19 Disabled and should remain that way, COVID-19 Disabled and forgotten, Repaired but still Disabled due to the wrong log type being used or Disabled, jinxed, trapped in fourth dimension and/or affected by Gremlins... without feedback from the cache owner on the cache page."

• Funny 1