Stalking via statistics

libby.de

I am confronted with a other user who is stalking my account via the statistics. Curious that the same person has blocked his own statistics on GC.

Is it possible to prevent this stalking by a setting like "statistics only viewable for users who has not blocked his own statistic"?

And in addition to prevent that he is only switching his own status for minutes with a 3 day blocking of viewing other statistics.

The user is confronting me with "impossible facts" he read out of my statistics.

Yes he sent me messages.

Didn't you never look into a statistics to find out what goals someone hit?

This user does it and contacts me with "impossible find numbers and allegations of fraud". And otherwise he hides his own statistics. Why can he read other user statistics but he hides his own?

Something's going wrong.

38 minutes ago, libby.de said:

Yes. :cute:

But this was a great day.

Must have been but I realize that finding a cache every 1'36" including taking the container, opening, retrieve log, write/stamp the log, put log back, close container, move 161m for 24 straight hours (no eating/drinking, toilet break) can raise questions. But if Santa can do it ;)

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 7
2 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

If the messages amount to harassment, then report the user to HQ.

I agree.

@libby.de - You're asking for an engineering solution to your problem.  However, rather than writing new software to fit the situation, it might be better if Groundspeak reviewed the conduct in question and took appropriate action

You can report this behavior via the Help Center.  Scroll down to "Can't find what you need?  Contact us" and fill out the form.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, libby.de said:

The user is confronting me with "impossible facts" he read out of my statistics.

Yes he sent me messages.

This user does it and contacts me with "impossible find numbers and allegations of fraud". And otherwise he hides his own statistics. Why can he read other user statistics but he hides his own?

Something's going wrong.

I do not understand how this other user is able to hide his statistics on geocaching.com ( on project-gc, yes, that's easy, but here ? Please explain)

If the wording of their messages via Groundspeak is offensive, then complain as others above suggest.

However, if you personally found all those caches that day, signed them all yourself, and replaced them all yourself with no team logging or (as I've seen some do)  cachers with one account for the family splitting to log separate lots of caches in one day, if you are confident your finds are beyond reproach why take any notice ? Looking for their stat.s to find, compare, and perhaps take issue with their 'caches in a day' might seem a good idea, but it's really not worth arguing. Ignore them and get on with life.

Comparative statistics are affected by that old line some people trot out  ' you cache your own way , and I'll cache mine' and are therefore often not truly comparable between cachers  : there are some high numbers finders who place throwdowns to keep their score up, or simply log a find because they were nearby ... prolific  FTFers where 4 cachers somehow multiply one little micro's FTF because they were all there and agreed to share whoever was really 'first' so a single cache is claimed to have 4 FTFs,  and people whose stat.s are inflated by 'finds' on virtuals in countries they've never visited...  placing too much importance on statistics and comparisons does not lead to happiness.

13 minutes ago, hal-an-tow said:

I do not understand how this other user is able to hide his statistics on geocaching.com ( on project-gc, yes, that's easy, but here ? Please explain)

Go to "Statistics" and uncheck "Show my statistics on my public profile" > Click "save

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Go to "Statistics" and uncheck "Show my statistics on my public profile" > Click "save

OK thanks, I'd forgotten that ... probably because hiding the statistics seemed a silly idea to me back when I started , and looked at such settings. It was a long time ago, and I probably had little in the way of stat.s to hide anyway !

8 hours ago, libby.de said:

But doesn't solve the problem that someone reads others statistics while hiding his own.

The best thing about geocaching is that anyone can play. The worst thing about geocaching is that anyone can play.

If you don't want to show your statistics to anyone (including those who hide their own statistics), then you are free to do so. But your decision to hide (or not) your statistics is independent of others' decisions to hide their statistics.

And as others have said, if the email is abusive, then report the Terms of Use violation to Groundspeak.

Finally, to explain to this person how those kinds of numbers are possible, you could just share this video:

2 hours ago, hal-an-tow said:

Folks have hidden their stats for some time.     :)

We'd notice a bunch when gripes about the end of double-logging, and logging your own caches found  started.

- The folks griping all had their stats hidden, so no one could ask them about all the "unique" caches they had.     ;)

22 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Apparently I'm missing something since I still don't understand the OP's statement.  Thanks for trying to help me understand, though.

Just to say, I don’t agree with this, but...

12 hours ago, libby.de said:

Is it possible to prevent this stalking by a setting like "statistics only viewable for users who has not blocked his own statistic"?

The OP wants users who hide their stats to be blocked from viewing others’ stats.

12 hours ago, libby.de said:

And in addition to prevent that he is only switching his own status for minutes with a 3 day blocking of viewing other statistics.

If that was only check, then a user who hides their stats could temporarily display them for just as long as it takes to ‘stalk their target’ before hiding them again.

The OP is suggesting they would have to wait 3 days from switching on their stats before they can view somebody else’s.

18 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

Just to say, I don’t agree with this, but...

The OP wants users who hide their stats to be blocked from viewing others’ stats.

If that was only check, then a user who hides their stats could temporarily display them for just as long as it takes to ‘stalk their target’ before hiding them again.

The OP is suggesting they would have to wait 3 days from switching on their stats before they can view somebody else’s.

Thanks. I read it as a current action. He is..I

Now I get it.  

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, libby.de said:

I am confronted with a other user who is stalking my account via the statistics. Curious that the same person has blocked his own statistics on GC.

13 hours ago, libby.de said:

Yes he sent me messages.

This user does it and contacts me with "impossible find numbers and allegations of fraud". And otherwise he hides his own statistics.

Why can he read other user statistics but he hides his own?   Something's going wrong.

I feel that once you hit whatever magic number folks deem a "leader" in leaderboards, there's bound to be someone who's either jealous, ticked off, or both, and you become a target.        :)

Seems you have a nut bothering you on finds.  Can't consider the source and ignore them ?

If they're really annoying, you can block your stats too, or contact Geocaching HQ with your information, if they've gone extreme in language.

- But if they're a problem,  guess I don't understand why you'd want to get yourself involved in their stats.    Is there a history between you two ?

For the record, I don't care what someone's stats are.  We've seen how quite a few have come by those numbers...

I only look at my own when someone has a question here, and need it for reference.  I don't even log some finds, and most events too.  ;)