Not Receiving E-mails when my caches are logged

Rad Booley

Hi... Rad Booley here.  For about the past month, I've not been receiving the automatic e-mails from Geocaching.com when any of my caches are found or otherwise logged by fellow cachers.  As a result, I missed a maintenance issue that a finder reported (I've since fixed it). :( Anyone else running into this problem?  As far as I know, I haven't changed any of my settings.  Any hints/suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thanks, and Happy Caching to all!

Have you checked your spam folder?  Sometimes, email providers decide that all those automated notices "must be spam" and start filtering them without notice to you.  The solution is to whitelist the addresses that send the notifications.

This solves the vast majority of "I'm not getting emails" issues.  If it doesn't work, let us know.

I guess I'm seeing the effect similar to x_xenolith_x's.

Seven of my caches were logged today, none of the emails arrived, and they were logged (hard to tell, but maybe) 3 hours previously, about 5PM (EST).  I've had no trouble til today.  I don't know what changed, and I've made no changes since it worked, which was March 16th.  But two of my Trackables were discovered today as late as 4:25PM (EST), and I received those log emails.  I don't see anything in Spam or Trash. 

I tested my forwarding addresses, and they are working.

On 3/12/2020 at 3:49 PM, Rad Booley said:

Hi... Rad Booley here.  For about the past month, I've not been receiving the automatic e-mails from Geocaching.com when any of my caches are found or otherwise logged by fellow cachers.  As a result, I missed a maintenance issue that a finder reported (I've since fixed it). :( Anyone else running into this problem?  As far as I know, I haven't changed any of my settings.  Any hints/suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thanks, and Happy Caching to all!

I just checked, and sure enough I'm not getting logs on my caches! 

10 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Got an e-mail for a find on March 18, but not for the find on March 19.  DNFs or NMs would be much harder to find.

Use your dashboard. All logs will be shown there.

image.png.86691c2e65f62a6f139944759b4ac4b3.png

7 minutes ago, SN67 said:

That's a workaround not a solution.

The issue is that the email functionality for sending out notifications on your own caches is obviously broken and needs to be fixed.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

I got an e-mail yesterday (19th)  from another cacher (via Groundspeak) about something they noticed at one of my caches which suggested they found another of mine nearby, they had logged that other find , but their log did not get e-mailed to me. I had to check the cache page to see what they wrote.

Auto e-mails of logs to C.O.s does appear to be not working.

3 hours ago, SN67 said:

This change must be a bug.  There was no announcement that Notifications would stop.  Internet companies kill email from entire domains at times, but I’m seeing some logs, such as TB discoveries, are getting through.

My default Geocaching home page URL shows local caches, so I see Finds when I open the page.  But for the past couple of days, I was surprised by a bunch of Finds on my caches.

If at least MC Messages are still live, it’s not terrible.  But I’m changing my Geocaching bookmark to show most current Finds.  While we wait. :ph34r:

Cachers probably assume that Cache Owners know instantly when the logs occur.  I may need to add a notice to my cache descriptions.

Edited by kunarion
I heard somebody sneeze, so I hid under a desk.
40 minutes ago, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

We are not seeing any emails service errors on our end for the past days. Let us know if the issue persists and we can do some more digging.

The fastest way is if you contact us via the Help Center. Cheers!

Ticket request 1096362 submitted via the Help Center.

image.png.77e74ec7ecdc9d1f23f4da0f5cac6459.png

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Jack Dalton said:

I did not get Notifications for logs on  my caches from March 17th to 19th (Caches https://coord.info/GC7EHQV and https://coord.info/GC6YHA7). No Mails arrived in my Inbox neither in my SPAM folder. Has the problem been fixed yet?

I don't believe the fix works retroactively.

Notifications for new logs (since the problem was fixed) are coming in fine.

• Helpful 1

We have not been receiving notifications of new caches placed within our designated area.  Finally tracked the problem down to the fact that something has "unvalidated " our primary email address.  Went in and edited our profile to validate our email address and hopefully that will let us see new caches placed once again.

sktqch

Edited by sktqch
kant spel
3 hours ago, sktqch said:

We have not been receiving notifications of new caches placed within our designated area.  Finally tracked the problem down to the fact that something has "unvalidated " our primary email address.

IIRC, if enough email bounces (for whatever reason), then the system marks the email address as unvalidated.

31 minutes ago, marmotte407 said:

I did not get Notifications for logs on  my caches, notifications, watchliste, etc. since  about one week or ten days. No Mails arrived in my Inbox neither in my SPAM folder. Has the problem been fixed yet?

It looks like gmx is a particular problem right now, along with a couple of other German ISPs.  Check this post >>