Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Max and 99

Mission Mammoth

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

1 new state added today. Total tags published: 39. Are there 500?

Looks like there might be around 400 or so tags for this game. The  tag Statistics it says 260 to hide and 31 claimed  and 8 available and 91 queued for publication

Share this post


Link to post

It's 5 a.m. and I'm hoping if I continue to stay awake until the new tags are published I'll increase my chances of getting to one first? :D

 

Share this post


Link to post

I knew it! As soon as I logged out of the forums the tags got published.

Share this post


Link to post

What does this mean: "Taking the tag off the map while waiting for it to be claimed?"

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

What does this mean: "Taking the tag off the map while waiting for it to be claimed?"

Maybe that means the hider checked and the tag was found, but not yet logged as found on the website by the finder?

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, outdoorsoccer said:

Maybe that means the hider checked and the tag was found, but not yet logged as found on the website by the finder?

That makes sense!

Share this post


Link to post

Someone is messing up my record keeping! 

One tag was claimed, but not published. Another tag taken couldn't be logged because that user already claimed one. I saw another log where two family members were planning to claim a tag each. 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Someone is messing up my record keeping! 

One tag was claimed, but not published. Another tag taken couldn't be logged because that user already claimed one. I saw another log where two family members were planning to claim a tag each. 

    I wonder if the claimed, but not published was due to a muggle seeing the hider placing the tag, finding it and claiming it before it got officially published.   
 

    I wondered how you could tell if someone tried to claim 2 tags even though it says 1 per household/family.  
 

   I guess members of the sane family could claim 2 tags if they used a different address to claim each tag, although I wouldn’t post that I and my sibling found it.  
 

  I saw a statistic where it said 1 tag was missing.  I guess that is the unclaimed tag?

Share this post


Link to post

The same person who logged the unpublished tag also tried to claim a tag with the very next number, both same tag owner. When this person tried to log/claim a tag, the number was invalid. I think that may be why the owner explained only one tag is allowed per household. It's confusing to me  because of that unpublished tag.

Share this post


Link to post

It appears to me that 466 is claimed but not published yet, and 467 is marked missing because the same person who "claimed" 466 was not able to log a second one. So yes, 467 is the missing one. 

 

We got a great photo of someone who found a tag in my state today. The tag owner posted a note to suggest it's like a 3.5/4.5 geocache.

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

It appears to me that 466 is claimed but not published yet, and 467 is marked missing because the same person who "claimed" 466 was not able to log a second one. So yes, 467 is the missing one. 

 

We got a great photo of someone who found a tag in my state today. The tag owner posted a note to suggest it's like a 3.5/4.5 geocache.

I saw that photo. Cool hiding spot.  Not sure if I could hide one like that as I am not sure how I would feel if someone got hurt looking for it. I know the finder accept sall responsiblity for safety.  
 

 BTW.  I didn’t realize the tags were magnetic until I read some of the descriptions.  Lol. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

The same person who logged the unpublished tag also tried to claim a tag with the very next number, both same tag owner. When this person tried to log/claim a tag, the number was invalid. I think that may be why the owner explained only one tag is allowed per household. It's confusing to me  because of that unpublished tag.

Maybe the hider didn’t realize he hid both tags by mistake. And the finder is trying to claim both. But the finder claimed the unpublished tag first vs the published tag.  I read someone found 2 tags at a hiding spot and was trying to get one of the tags back to the hider.  I didn’t know they were magnetic, so they could have easily possibly stuck together? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, outdoorsoccer said:

Maybe the hider didn’t realize he hid both tags by mistake. And the finder is trying to claim both. But the finder claimed the unpublished tag first vs the published tag.  I read someone found 2 tags at a hiding spot and was trying to get one of the tags back to the hider.  I didn’t know they were magnetic, so they could have easily possibly stuck together? 

 

I can see that happening!

Share this post


Link to post

End of Day 5: Mammoths have been published in 28 states. 22 states waiting for Mammoths to appear.  

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

End of Day 5: Mammoths have been published in 28 states. 22 states waiting for Mammoths to appear.  

Only one in California so far, 4+ hours away; and one in Northern Nevada that's 3 hours away.  I check the map each morning by 8 or so, and there are still many days to go!  In the meantime, 36 new caches have published in the last 10 days within 20 miles of my house, several mysteries and traditionals.  One is mine, a puzz le, one is hubby's, a traditional (we've done our part to keep geocaching viable for locals in this crazy time!) and the others are placed by a variety of cachers in the area.  So this "SnagtheTag" game, right now, is not nearly as engaging as geocaching, for me!

 

I'll continue to watch and check the map each day, before we go out and find a few of the new geocaches that have popped up around us.

Share this post


Link to post

Three were published within 30 miles of me. Two I got the notification for but wasn't fast enough to get there first.  The third I missed the notification and didn't know about it until someone was there. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

Only one in California so far, 4+ hours away; and one in Northern Nevada that's 3 hours away.  I check the map each morning by 8 or so, and there are still many days to go!  In the meantime, 36 new caches have published in the last 10 days within 20 miles of my house, several mysteries and traditionals.  One is mine, a puzz le, one is hubby's, a traditional (we've done our part to keep geocaching viable for locals in this crazy time!) and the others are placed by a variety of cachers in the area.  So this "SnagtheTag" game, right now, is not nearly as engaging as geocaching, for me!

 

I'll continue to watch and check the map each day, before we go out and find a few of the new geocaches that have popped up around us.

I also have noticed an increase in caches planted in my neck of the woods (NC).  So far only 1 tag in NC (mine) and was found sane day it was officially published.  
 

  I have also seen an increase in finds also on my caches.  I went to check my small ammo can after a few finds to make sure there was enough swag in it.  Good thing I did as I found a Capri Sun drink and rocks inside the cache.  Threw out all the junk and replaced it with more swag. 

Share this post


Link to post

Sweet.  Just saw another tag added to the  total for NC.  I wonder where in NC it’s going to be hidden.  Tried looking back to see if it was already hidden but I couldn’t see a description for it.  

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, outdoorsoccer said:

Sweet.  Just saw another tag added to the  total for NC.  I wonder where in NC it’s going to be hidden.  Tried looking back to see if it was already hidden but I couldn’t see a description for it.  

I only see one total published  in N C.

Share this post


Link to post

Rules are being ignored. Like placing the tag at a geocache.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Three were published within 30 miles of me. Two I got the notification for but wasn't fast enough to get there first.  The third I missed the notification and didn't know about it until someone was there. 

I was just testing to see if anyone was paying attention. 😕

Apparently not.

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Rules are being ignored. Like placing the tag at a geocache.

I saw that too.  But I guess that will help increase the odds that your tag would be found.  I saw last game had a few tags unfound.  

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I was just testing to see if anyone was paying attention. 😕

Apparently not.

I read your post. I thought you were going to try and see if you could beat someone to the tag.   I thought about doing it if the other NC tag (not mine) gets published near me.   I wouldn’t claim it, but it would be a fun to post the FTF or FTS (First to see)?

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I only see one total published  in N C.

Yes.  Only 1 published (mine) but if you check out the statistics page the tag count in NC went from 1 to 2.  So someone has a tag soon to be published in NC.  Although I wonder if only hiders can see the statistics?  Hopefully I didn’t give too much away. ..,

 

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, outdoorsoccer said:

Yes.  Only 1 published (mine) but if you check out the statistics page the tag count in NC went from 1 to 2.  So someone has a tag soon to be published in NC.  Although I wonder if only hiders can see the statistics?  Hopefully I didn’t give too much away. ..,

 

I know not of this page. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I know not of this page. 

Click the tag icon and then hit the statistics symbol on the top right of the page.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, outdoorsoccer said:

Click the tag icon and then hit the statistics symbol on the top right of the page.

It took a while, but I found it. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, outdoorsoccer said:

Yes.  Only 1 published (mine) but if you check out the statistics page the tag count in NC went from 1 to 2.  So someone has a tag soon to be published in NC.  Although I wonder if only hiders can see the statistics?  Hopefully I didn’t give too much away. ..,

 

My state shows 2 more than have been published. 😯

Now I understand! 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, outdoorsoccer said:

I read your post. I thought you were going to try and see if you could beat someone to the tag.   I thought about doing it if the other NC tag (not mine) gets published near me.   I wouldn’t claim it, but it would be a fun to post the FTF or FTS (First to see)?

Ohhhhh. That would be fun! 

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, outdoorsoccer said:

I saw that too.  But I guess that will help increase the odds that your tag would be found.  I saw last game had a few tags unfound.  

But it also increases the chance of a tag being found before it is published. I also wonder if a finder is more likely to log a claim if they were already registered on snag the tag. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

But it also increases the chance of a tag being found before it is published. 

That’s probably true too.  I hope the finder of the tag is not a kid as that will definitely reduce the chance the tag would be claimed.  

Share this post


Link to post

I've been happy seeing the logs of people who find the tags. Lots of fun!

Share this post


Link to post

One was published at 6am this morning, I happened to be awake at 5:30. It was over an hour drive, but I decided on it. I was 17 mins out and got the alert that someone else claimed it. They live nearby, but they also happened to be awake in time for the alert and decided to go for it. d'oh! The first published in Canada. I'll have to be on my toes if I want to get the hider's second one, also about an hour away. I had a good chance because of its early publish; during the day, there's a good chance at least 2 or 3 other people much closer will be on their toes ready to rush for it =/

 

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

One was published at 6am this morning, I happened to be awake at 5:30. It was over an hour drive, but I decided on it. I was 17 mins out and got the alert that someone else claimed it. They live nearby, but they also happened to be awake in time for the alert and decided to go for it. d'oh! The first published in Canada. I'll have to be on my toes if I want to get the hider's second one, also about an hour away. I had a good chance because of its early publish; during the day, there's a good chance at least 2 or 3 other people much closer will be on their toes ready to rush for it =/

 

Awww man!

Share this post


Link to post

The tag closest to where I would have gone for spring break vacation, if I had been allowed to, is still there 7 days later. So far, from what I can tell, 6 days is the longest between publish and claim. 

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

One was published at 6am this morning, I happened to be awake at 5:30. It was over an hour drive, but I decided on it. I was 17 mins out and got the alert that someone else claimed it. They live nearby, but they also happened to be awake in time for the alert and decided to go for it. d'oh! The first published in Canada. I'll have to be on my toes if I want to get the hider's second one, also about an hour away. I had a good chance because of its early publish; during the day, there's a good chance at least 2 or 3 other people much closer will be on their toes ready to rush for it =/

 

Aww man.  It’s kinda heartbreaking to read about folks going to look for one, but someone beat them to it.  And they drove a bit to get there too.   Good luck on the next one.  Maybe that’s the real draw for being a hider.  No need to “look” for one....

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

The tag closest to where I would have gone for spring break vacation, if I had been allowed to, is still there 7 days later. So far, from what I can tell, 6 days is the longest between publish and claim. 

I wonder if it will go unfound?  Still plenty of time though for it to be found. 

Edited by outdoorsoccer
Hit reply too soon.

Share this post


Link to post

The other NC tag was published yesterday.  I checked it out and it’s about 15 miles away.  Cool statue to hide it on.    

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

So far, from what I can tell, 6 days is the longest between publish and claim. 

 

The one closest to me, 3-4 hour drive depending on the weather conditions, is still unclaimed and it's 5 days and a few hours so far.  I doubt we will make that drive anytime soon, but I wonder if it will get claimed?

Share this post


Link to post

I can't help but wonder....if maybe people see that a tag hasn't been found in days and think it's probably already taken, and just not logged. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, outdoorsoccer said:

The other NC tag was published yesterday.  I checked it out and it’s about 15 miles away.  Cool statue to hide it on.    

I just saw the 2nd NC tag has been claimed today.  

Share this post


Link to post

How can the longest wait time be 13 days when the game started 10 days ago?

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

How can the longest wait time be 13 days when the game started 10 days ago?

Maybe they submitted the tag for publication before the game started?  I would have received my tags a bit before the game started, but the university mail

system was slowed a bit by the COVID-19 issue and I didn’t receive my tags until 2 days before the game started.  

Share this post


Link to post

My second tag was published this morning and found the same afternoon.   Woohoo!  I was going to try and be a finder next game (if possible) but if only 1 other person is hiding, I may have to rethink it.  
 

  Max and 99...both your tags were found too right?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, outdoorsoccer said:

Maybe they submitted the tag for publication before the game started?  I would have received my tags a bit before the game started, but the university mail

system was slowed a bit by the COVID-19 issue and I didn’t receive my tags until 2 days before the game started.  

By wait time I assume between publication and Claim.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

By wait time I assume between publication and Claim.

When I look at the statistics page,  there are 2 separate times tracked.   The publish queue stat says 13 days,  but the claim stat says 11hrs+ on average.  So the claim time is what I believe is the publication to claim time.    Maybe a more experienced person will weigh-in. 
 

My first tag took a few days to get published, but my second tag was published the next morning after I submitted it.   

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, outdoorsoccer said:

Max and 99...both your tags were found too right?  

Yes! I was very happy with my hiding spots and days between each of their  publication. Next time I'll have a better idea of the different ways to hide things. I was kinda clueless. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Yes! I was very happy with my hiding spots and days between each of their  publication. Next time I'll have a better idea of the different ways to hide things. I was kinda clueless. 

Same here.  It was pretty fun to read all the hiders descriptions and finders comments.  I’m just glad to have hidden my 2 tags and had them found before the game was over.   

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1

×
×
  • Create New...