Mission Mammoth

Max and 99

15 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Did anyone else see hilarious post by the hider of tag 316? Creative!

HaHa.  That was a pretty funny write-up.  Looks like 2 tags left to go.  Hopefully some of the missing tags get claimed and/or found.  Read a log where another hider found a tag.  They at least returned it.  

7 minutes ago, INTIMIDAT3R said:

The hider of the Mammoth in LaCrosse, WI, hid it at a place where homeless and drug addicts gather.

Needless to say, it disappeared before anyone found it.

Yeah, sometimes hiders flat out ignore the rules. Sometimes finders do. ?

It's a shame when things like you described happen. Sounds like a place most would not want to search for a tag. That's too bad. 

Just now, Max and 99 said:

Yeah, sometimes hiders flat out ignore the rules. Sometimes finders do. ?

It's a shame when things like you described happen. Sounds like a place most would not want to search for a tag. That's too bad. 

It was under one of the river bridges, "on the wrong side of the tracks", and when we walked up to the hiding spot... there were 2 homeless folks there who asked us if we were looking for the "clue" cuz several had come before us and not found it.

They were nice, but even they said, "This is the wrong place to hide anything or put anything of value."

We thanked them and left.

9 minutes ago, INTIMIDAT3R said:

It was under one of the river bridges, "on the wrong side of the tracks", and when we walked up to the hiding spot... there were 2 homeless folks there who asked us if we were looking for the "clue" cuz several had come before us and not found it.

They were nice, but even they said, "This is the wrong place to hide anything or put anything of value."

Oh man! That's funny. How right they were!

2 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I have somewhat mixed feelings about PAF with this game. It's a one-shot-deal. 

Could be having another off day, but don't see how phone a friend is a one-shot deal.  Please explain.  Thanks.  :)

The other 2/3rds does it all the time.  Online games with them too.

I've yet to do it for finds, but I did call a guy for help once when I was literally at the end of my rope.     

50 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Could be having another off day, but don't see how phone a friend is a one-shot deal.  Please explain.  Thanks.  :)

The other 2/3rds does it all the time.  Online games with them too.

I've yet to do it for finds, but I did call a guy for help once when I was literally at the end of my rope.     

Mission Mammoth: each tag is only a one-shot-deal. ONLY one person can find it. After that, it's gone.

• Helpful 1
On 7/27/2020 at 5:47 PM, INTIMIDAT3R said:

No luck again? I hope you snag one soon!

Update: Congrats! You snagged one!

Edited by Max and 99
On 7/28/2020 at 12:47 PM, Max and 99 said:

I'm curious about what people who are finding the mammoth think about paying the shipping cost to get their coin, and how much the shipping cost is. 

I am curious too.  I asked a finder of one of my tags to let me know how much it cost to get the coin, but never heard back. Maybe Intimadat3r will let us know now that he had found one.   

To claim the skeleton mammoth partner coin, you've got to log the 6 digit code on the mammoth coin you find.

You'll then receive a discount code that makes the skeleton mammoth coin FREE.

***Shipping to get your free skeleton mammoth coin is only $4.05.***

I can live with that. Especially after the 500+ miles of driving to find one. 

Third time was definitely charm.

BTW, both coins are magnetic so when they join together one side is the mammoth and the other side is skeleton.

The 66 mile drive to Cresco this morning took FOREVER it seemed. NINJAB beat us there by 5 minutes and vanished. We never even saw a footprint of him, but the mammoth was gone.

We jumped back into the car and drove the 61 miles to McGregor and I was like kid waiting for Christmas hoping we'd be there first. We were and the rest is history.

Edited by INTIMIDAT3R
2 minutes ago, INTIMIDAT3R said:

To claim the skeleton mammoth partner coin, you've got to log the 6 digit code on the mammoth coin you find.

You'll then receive a discount code that makes the skeleton mammoth coin FREE.

Shipping to get your free skeleton mammoth coin is only $4.05.

I can live with that. Especially after the 460+ miles of driving to find one. 

Third time was definitely charm.

BTW, both coins are magnetic so when they join together one side is the mammoth and the other side is skeleton.

Cool.  Thanks for letting me know. 

On 8/2/2020 at 2:38 PM, outdoorsoccer said:

Congrats on snagging a tag.  How long/far did you travel between the different cities to get one?  

Last week, July 25...

Waterloo, IA to LaCrosse, WI

266 miles round trip, 5 hours 4 minutes

Kaddy's Cafe(excellent food) in LaCrescent, MN we ate lunch and grabbed a few caches there too.

Today, August 2...

Waterloo to Cresco

73 miles, 1 hour 17 minutes

Status: Mammoth claimed by NINJAB, 5 minutes before we got there ?

Cresco to McGregor

62 miles, 1 hour 12 minutes

McGregor to Waterloo

93 miles, 1 hour 39 minutes

Grabbed caches all along the way if they were close to the highway.

On a side note, that whole "loop" we drove today is beautiful and fun to to drive anytime, but absolutely gorgeous in the fall when the leaves change.

Edited by INTIMIDAT3R
On 7/28/2020 at 11:47 AM, Max and 99 said:

I'm curious about what people who are finding the mammoth think about paying the shipping cost to get their coin, and how much the shipping cost is. 

After the hunt and the anticipation of finding a mammoth, the $4.05 to get the free companion skeleton mammoth coin is acceptable to me.

If $4.05 is going to break my bank account, I've got more problems than paying for shipping. LOL

• Upvote 1
On 10/31/2020 at 10:00 PM, Max and 99 said:

Well the new promotion, Agent 2020, will have tags that are trackable on geocaching.com. Unfortunately all those tags were sold out as soon as I heard about the promotion, as well as the tags for the promotion that starts today. They could be selling so many more!

I was able to get an agent tag to hide when I emailed SnagTheTag folks and they let me know they had one extra I could have.  I didn’t realize another game (get the Ape) had started too.  So far I don’t think there has been any agent tags in my neck of the woods.    Do you know if you have to set notifications on for every single game?
   I wish they sent out a newsletter detailing upcoming games.  I’ll need to keep a better eye out on the website.  Good to hear it’s trackable  on Geocaching.com

43 minutes ago, outdoorsoccer said:

I was able to get an agent tag to hide when I emailed SnagTheTag folks and they let me know they had one extra I could have.  I didn’t realize another game (get the Ape) had started too.  So far I don’t think there has been any agent tags in my neck of the woods.    Do you know if you have to set notifications on for every single game?
   I wish they sent out a newsletter detailing upcoming games.  I’ll need to keep a better eye out on the website.  Good to hear it’s trackable  on Geocaching.com

Yes, I believe you need to set notifications for each game. We've had one agent hidden in my area. 

They did tell me that they are going to try to do better for people who don't use social media to hear about upcoming opportunities, such as purchasing tags to hide. 

On 11/2/2020 at 6:55 AM, Max and 99 said:
On 11/2/2020 at 6:10 AM, outdoorsoccer said:

Do you know if you have to set notifications on for every single game?

Yes, I believe you need to set notifications for each game.

Yes, you do need to set up notifications for each game.  Click the Alerts button on the top right corner of any active game.  Set that alert, then click on New Alert and you can choose another one.

image.thumb.png.965a3a3209058d20151783ef0586e2a8.png

I discovered that when I checked on the Agent progress - and hey, there was one hidden about 10 miles away!!  No one has gone for it yet (it's been a couple of days), but I don't know when I'll get over that way, either.  The nearest Mammoth was about 50 miles from me.  I don't think many geocachers around here play this game, or are even aware of it.  I know the geocacher who hid the Agent Dusk tag; if I'm nearby and snag it, I'll be happy.  If someone else snags it first, I'm curious to see who it will be!

2 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Yes, you do need to set up notifications for each game.  Click the Alerts button on the top right corner of any active game.  Set that alert, then click on New Alert and you can choose another one.

image.thumb.png.965a3a3209058d20151783ef0586e2a8.png

I discovered that when I checked on the Agent progress - and hey, there was one hidden about 10 miles away!!  No one has gone for it yet (it's been a couple of days), but I don't know when I'll get over that way, either.  The nearest Mammoth was about 50 miles from me.  I don't think many geocachers around here play this game, or are even aware of it.  I know the geocacher who hid the Agent Dusk tag; if I'm nearby and snag it, I'll be happy.  If someone else snags it first, I'm curious to see who it will be!

I had a default setting that I thought took care of all notifications, but I guess not.  I just updated my alerts.  So hopefully someone hides an agent dark or an ape nearby.  Thank you to you and Max and 99 for both your help. Just waiting now....lol

I'm almost certainly missing something really obvious. In the previous one game I participated in, you could see who hid the tag. In the 2020 Agent game for the tag hidden in my state I cannot find that anywhere.  Where is the name of the person who hid it listed on the 2020 agent page?

Can you pick a random tag and circle that for me cuz my eyes cannot find it. 

4 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm almost certainly missing something really obvious. In the previous one game I participated in, you could see who hid the tag. In the 2020 Agent game for the tag hidden in my state I cannot find that anywhere.  Where is the name of the person who hid it listed on the 2020 agent page?

Can you pick a random tag and circle that for me cuz my eyes cannot find it. 

I tried finding the hider directly from the tag on the map page and got the same result. I was able to see who hid the tag if you go to the tag page and search for the tag number.   Hope this helps.  

13 minutes ago, outdoorsoccer said:

I tried finding the hider directly from the tag on the map page and got the same result. I was able to see who hid the tag if you go to the tag page and search for the tag number.   Hope this helps.  

I'm lost. After 10 minutes of searching I finally found a way to search for a tag number but I still didn't see a hider name on that page. 

Well the image clips above are showing different tags.

It seems 115 does show a tag hider, but 861 doesn't.  Oddly, searching for a number doesn't produce a single result (note that outdorsooccer's search results for 861 shows #115 first of 3 results, not #861, which is why there is a hider name; scroll to see 861 and there shouldn't be a hider name)

Kind of a confusing interface...

On 11/3/2020 at 7:49 AM, CAVinoGal said:

I got the tag!  No one had gone for it yet this morning, so I took the drive and there it was!  That was fun.  Now to log in and "redeem it" - and see what I get!

23 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Well the image clips above are showing different tags.

It seems 115 does show a tag hider, but 861 doesn't.  Oddly, searching for a number doesn't produce a single result (note that outdorsooccer's search results for 861 shows #115 first of 3 results, not #861, which is why there is a hider name; scroll to see 861 and there shouldn't be a hider name)

Kind of a confusing interface...

I haven't yet figured out why the result shows multiple tags. I'm wondering if maybe somewhere in that tag description those numbers are there but I haven't taken a closer look yet. 

5 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Using Chrome on Android, there's no hider name shown.

I switched to a desktop, using Firefox, and there's still no hider name shown.

I'm not seeing hider names either - on any tags.  In the description of the tag I found today, the owner/hider referenced himself as Special Agent GTG (a shortened version of his geoname that he uses often) so that told me who he was, but I can't see that info on the tag page anywhere.

This is an interesting side game...and in this iteration it appears you can try to find both the Dawn and Dusk pair of tags.  Based on the photo GTG left on the Dusk tag I found, he also got a Dawn tag to hide, and the map page still shows I can find the Dawn tag of the same number (or any Dawn tag?).  Or am I misinterpreting things?

image.png.f2d8692df80406633d3332d4b8944a56.png

On 11/5/2020 at 3:36 PM, CAVinoGal said:

I got the tag!  No one had gone for it yet this morning, so I took the drive and there it was!  That was fun.  Now to log in and "redeem it" - and see what I get!

Please accept my late Congrats.  I saw you had claimed a tag and meant to congratulate you, but work got in the way and I forgot....

On 11/5/2020 at 7:03 PM, CAVinoGal said:

I'm not seeing hider names either - on any tags.  In the description of the tag I found today, the owner/hider referenced himself as Special Agent GTG (a shortened version of his geoname that he uses often) so that told me who he was, but I can't see that info on the tag page anywhere.

This is an interesting side game...and in this iteration it appears you can try to find both the Dawn and Dusk pair of tags.  Based on the photo GTG left on the Dusk tag I found, he also got a Dawn tag to hide, and the map page still shows I can find the Dawn tag of the same number (or any Dawn tag?).  Or am I misinterpreting things?

You can still find any hider’s agent dawn tag. It should be a different number.  I received 2 agent dawn tags and they have different numbers on them.  My first one has been claimed and I am about to hide my second one.  

I have been trying to find an agent dusk tag, but looks like no one hiding in NC (yet?) . I was 1week too early as I saw an agent dusk tag hidden in Myrtle beach sc after I got back from vacation.  

On 11/5/2020 at 7:03 PM, CAVinoGal said:

Sorry I meant to clarify it means you can still find an agent of dawn tag.