Mission Mammoth

Max and 99

19 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm having slightly conflicting views on this trend of sending a friend to grab a tag for you. Do these people also send friends to sign their name on a geocache log?

I know, it's not the same game. Hence the "slightly conflicting" statement.

I don’t have as much of an issue with this as long as the “finder” logs the tag as claimed ASAP.  That way it keeps people from driving crazy distances to look for a tag that is not there.   

Did you see one hider “stole” my idea of looking for another hidden tag...LOL!

I can’t believe the increasing amount of missing tags.  Hopefully they are just unclaimed.....

Well tags are no longer being published for now; I think they also said there are none in the queue either.

Tag #2 from the hider here was published on another early morning, but I woke up late, and woke to him texting me that I missed out on it - I could have had it if I'd been up 2 hours earlier but it was found after another geocacher casually checked and saw it hadn't been found yet, then found it... d'oh!

I'm pretty sure for Ontario there aren't any other (reasonably local) hiders left so - in any other circumstance I'd now be watching for new hides just over the US border. But noooooo... 'rona's in town....  Even if they were getting published I wouldn't be able to hop the border to try for one. *sigh*  Ah well, may not get one this round.

1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

I'm pretty sure for Ontario there aren't any other (reasonably local) hiders left so - in any other circumstance I'd now be watching for new hides just over the US border. But noooooo... 'rona's in town....  Even if they were getting published I wouldn't be able to hop the border to try for one. *sigh*  Ah well, may not get one this round.

I saw there are still 222 tags left to hide.  So there is still a chance to get one.  

I am still waiting on the 2nd tag to be hidden by the other NC hider.  

do you think they will extend the game or just publish  a bunch in quick succession? 

I saw another tag was hidden in a geocache.

im curious about the 2 tags missing from the same hider that used the same description for both his tags and no response from him either...

On 4/26/2020 at 1:06 AM, Max and 99 said:

Wow even after all this time someone claimed a Mammoth today!

Cool!  Can’t believe it went almost a month before being found.   How about the tag (near your vacation spot?) that you mentioned way back.  Has it been found yet?  I still see some tags out there unfound.   

11 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Here come some new ones. I did not see that coming this morning.

Edit: I was wrong. Only one got published. 

I’m glad to see they are starting to publish the tags again.  I enjoy reading the hide and find logs.  Gives me some ideas if I participate as a hider next game.   

4 minutes ago, outdoorsoccer said:

I’m glad to see they are starting to publish the tags again.  I enjoy reading the hide and find logs.  Gives me some ideas if I participate as a hider next game.   

I agree! This was my first experience, so I was clueless. I've learned SO much from seeing how/where other people hide tags and the finder's experiences.

1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

I agree! This was my first experience, so I was clueless. I've learned SO much from seeing how/where other people hide tags and the finder's experiences.

I learned (from reading find logs) that some finders will drive some crazy distances to find one of these tags.  There are some diehard fans of this game.  Lol. 

6 hours ago, outdoorsoccer said:

I learned (from reading find logs) that some finders will drive some crazy distances to find one of these tags.  There are some diehard fans of this game.  Lol. 

Yep =) Especially when you know there may only be a handful of chances for one in your entire region...

6 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm not a big fan of having to pay a fee to get one, though. What a shame to pay a fee, get to the coordinates, and find out it's already been taken!

eh? You don't have to pay a fee to go search for a tag... 

3 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Yep =) Especially when you know there may only be a handful of chances for one in your entire region...

eh? You don't have to pay a fee to go search for a tag... 

Some of the hiding spots require a fee to enter the area, though. And sometimes you don't realize till you go looking that it's not there and maybe someone already grabbed it but didn't log it but you still had to pay the fee to go check it out.

15 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Oh, you're just referring to the chance that a hider paid entry to hide a tag somewhere you'd need to pay to enter... Well I would HOPE that hider would state that you need to pay to enter if you want to try to find that tag :(

It was stated in the mammoth tag page that there is a fee to enter the area. Not so bad if you are the one to find the tag. But if you come next, and the tag hasn't been logged yet, you pay the entrance fee and get no tag.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

It was stated in the mammoth tag page that there is a fee to enter the area.

Yeah, for the specific tag. I thought you were saying in general when you said "What a shame to pay a fee, get to the coordinates, and find out it's already been taken!"  I missed the context for the comment ;)

On 5/27/2020 at 1:24 PM, Max and 99 said:

I do not like what 389 is doing! 

I hope the “Soon to be” geocache belongs to him/her for providing the spoiler location. I wonder how many finds it gets before publication. Or will it get muggled before publication?  Lol. I guess they followed the rules about not hiding it in a “geocache” unlike some other hiders)....

On 4/6/2020 at 5:55 PM, thebruce0 said:

Well tags are no longer being published for now; I think they also said there are none in the queue either.

Tag #2 from the hider here was published on another early morning, but I woke up late, and woke to him texting me that I missed out on it - I could have had it if I'd been up 2 hours earlier but it was found after another geocacher casually checked and saw it hadn't been found yet, then found it... d'oh!

Hi thebruce0,, 

Congrats on snagging a tag!  Or at least I hope that was you.  I just read that “you” snagged  a tag recently.  

On 6/3/2020 at 3:00 PM, outdoorsoccer said:

Congrats on snagging a tag!  Or at least I hope that was you.  I just read that “you” snagged  a tag recently.

Indeed, everything just lined up perfectly. Didn't expect any others in Ontario, but I supposed there's another hider fairly distant from my area ;) At least now we know there's at least one more out there for Ontario.

1 hour ago, TmdAndGG said:

Managed to snag one of the tags yesterday. Our first time playing! Pretty cool!:cool:

Hi!  Congrats on finding the tag! Is there a lot of hiders/finders in your area?   Did you find a tag recently hidden or one that has been out for a bit?  Anyone know if there are there any long hidden tags anymore?

1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

Mammoth is not available overseas.

Ahh.  Sorry I meant not in the continental US.  I thought I saw some hidden in Guam? Or somewhere like that.  I’ll need to take a look at the map.  Thanks for info.  I’m curious now. Not that I could go looking for them if they are still unfound in Guam.  Lol

1 minute ago, outdoorsoccer said:

Ahh.  Sorry I meant not in the continental US.  I thought I saw some hidden in Guam? Or somewhere like that.  I’ll need to take a look at the map.  Thanks for info.  I’m curious now. Not that I could go looking for them if they are still unfound in Guam.  Lol

Yes! Guam was included.

Just now, Max and 99 said:

The one in Maryland has had several notes saying they can't find it. Which is not good news!

Yeah.  I saw the one in Minnesota said folks couldn’t find look for it due to flooding.  

looks like the Maryland hider left it in his geocache.  Some cachers visited the cache after he placed the tag, but no mention of snagging the tag.  Maybe it’s attached to the metal of the LPC where his cache (GC53MJ5) is.  Or possibly they didn’t know what they picked up? Hence the name of the tag.  I think????

5 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I got that notification. Congrats!

Thanks!

4 hours ago, outdoorsoccer said:

Hi!  Congrats on finding the tag! Is there a lot of hiders/finders in your area?   Did you find a tag recently hidden or one that has been out for a bit?  Anyone know if there are there any long hidden tags anymore?

Thanks! Only know about one person who plays the game in our area (the hider of the tag we found) but I'm sure there's a few more. The tag that we found was very close to where we live (15 min drive) so we got it later the in the day that it published.

5 hours ago, outdoorsoccer said:

Yeah.  I saw the one in Minnesota said folks couldn’t find look for it due to flooding.  

looks like the Maryland hider left it in his geocache.  Some cachers visited the cache after he placed the tag, but no mention of snagging the tag.  Maybe it’s attached to the metal of the LPC where his cache (GC53MJ5) is.  Or possibly they didn’t know what they picked up? Hence the name of the tag.  I think????

470 Claimed.

34 minutes ago, TmdAndGG said:

Thanks!

Thanks! Only know about one person who plays the game in our area (the hider of the tag we found) but I'm sure there's a few more. The tag that we found was very close to where we live (15 min drive) so we got it later the in the day that it published.

Sweet.  That’s pretty lucky.  TheBruce0  had to drive 2hrs.  Lol.

On 6/18/2020 at 2:36 PM, outdoorsoccer said:

That’s a pretty devious and clever hide.  Was the paper clip end was sticking out more than what is shown in the video!.  

Nope, I didn't touch it until I pulled it out. The flashback showed it in my first sweep and I didn't notice it. I was mentally focused on a geocache-style, like a magnetic keyholder :) #oops!

On 6/18/2020 at 2:38 PM, outdoorsoccer said:
On 6/18/2020 at 2:35 PM, Max and 99 said:

Mammoth is not available overseas.

Ahh.  Sorry I meant not in the continental US.

...and Canada. ;)  In this case. When the game first launched they promoted it as US-only, forgetting that Canada is right there. Quietly they allowed delivery to Canada (though it's more expensive) so in this game there were very few hides outside of the US, unfortunately. Only a handful of people opted in to become hiders, if they discovered it included Canada.  We kind of get the 2nd tier with US-centric marketing fairly often. *sigh*

On 3/23/2020 at 9:04 AM, CAVinoGal said:

Only one in California so far, 4+ hours away; and one in Northern Nevada that's 3 hours away.  I check the map each morning by 8 or so, and there are still many days to go!  In the meantime, 36 new caches have published in the last 10 days within 20 miles of my house, several mysteries and traditionals.  One is mine, a puzz le, one is hubby's, a traditional (we've done our part to keep geocaching viable for locals in this crazy time!) and the others are placed by a variety of cachers in the area.  So this "SnagtheTag" game, right now, is not nearly as engaging as geocaching, for me!

I'll continue to watch and check the map each day, before we go out and find a few of the new geocaches that have popped up around us.

Three months later, and still only 8 Snag the Tags published in California, and none really, reasonably obtainable by me. I still check the map every few days, (see today's screenshot, the red circle is me, at least 2 hours from the closest, most of those 8 are 3-4+ hours drive, and that just isn't going to happen!) but don't hold out hope one will pop up nearby before the promo is over.  New caches are still appearing at the rate of 6-10 a day, within 20 miles of my home, so there is plenty to find out there!

image.png.04a52bd45db94e1eaece713793ce2d1b.png

Edited by CAVinoGal
Added screenshot
11 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Three months later, and still only 8 Snag the Tags published in California, and none really, reasonably obtainable by me. I still check the map every few days, (see today's screenshot, the red circle is me, at least 2 hours from the closest, most of those 8 are 3-4+ hours drive, and that just isn't going to happen!) but don't hold out hope one will pop up nearby before the promo is over.  New caches are still appearing at the rate of 6-10 a day, within 20 miles of my home, so there is plenty to find out there!

image.png.04a52bd45db94e1eaece713793ce2d1b.png

Well you still  had double the amount in my state of NC (4 and I hid 2 of them...LOL).  It looks like the game is slowly coming to an end.  I read over some of the missing tags and it looks like 2 of them were found but not claimed.    One of them was even found by a tag hider too (didn’t think you could do that).  

I read one finder drove 5hrs to find one.  That’s dedication right there.  Not sure I would make that long of a drive.  

Next game I might still be a hider as it doesn’t look like many folks around here are playing, but maybe the word is out now and next game night be different.   Who knows.  Still pretty fun game (despite the circumstances).