Mission Mammoth

Max and 99

Snag the Tag and Shop Geocaching

partner for Mission Mammoth!

Are you new to Snag the Tag? Snag the Tag is a trackables game that relies on hiders and finders! Join the hunt from March 18 - April 30 to play Mission Mammoth! The game is simple, purchase a hiding packet that includes a complete set to keep (mammoth tag and museum geocoin) and two mammoth tags to hide. 

Follow the instructions that come with the hiding set and make sure to hide the trackable before the game begins on March 18. When someone finds one of your mammoths, they can claim it as their own and even get the matching museum geocoin to keep!

57 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm new to this game and learning! But it kinda sorta seems to me that I'd be the one "paying" for the "free" coin someone gets when they find the tag that I paid for!

Does anyone else have experience with this game?

This is all new to me - and apparently it is a different website, a different game, and not connected to geocaching, except that you can buy these "kits" to hide things at the geocaching shop.  If I'm reading the rules correctly, if you are a "hider", you can't be a "finder" for each specific game?  https://www.snagthetag.com/faq.php  Each "game" is for a limited time - you have one hider and one finder for each tag, and the finder is supposed to get some sort of prize.  But what's in it for the hider?  I'm not sure I really understand this new game....or what is has to do with geocaching??

The person who finds the tag that I hide gets to keep that tag, PLUS gets a free geocoin from Shop Geocaching. But for the $30 I pay (plus shipping) to get the tag, it feels to me like I'm the one paying for the other person's "free" geocoin that Shop Geocaching sends to them. But then again, I'm still trying to figure it all out.

I see no benefit to the hider. Only expenses and work.

• Upvote 5
6 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

The person who finds the tag that I hide gets to keep that tag, PLUS gets a free geocoin from Shop Geocaching. But for the $30 I pay (plus shipping) to get the tag, it feels to me like I'm the one paying for the other person's "free" geocoin that Shop Geocaching sends to them. But then again, I'm still trying to figure it all out.

I see no benefit to the hider. Only expenses and work.

Is it possible that there are numerous official volunteer non-paying “hiders” for the main game, and additionally a “limited number” of kits you could buy in the Store? Because they mention that you can request on their site to be a hider.

[Edit]: OK, after reading more about this, I’m uncertain if there are sponsored volunteer hiders, or if all hiders buy the kits.  Anyway, hiders who do buy kits receive a Geocoin to keep, and finders can redeem a found tag for a Geocoin (I guess Trackable).  That’s about all I figured out. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

Snag the tag is design around a two part Geocoin. One part is a Tag that is hidden like a geocache, meaning it has coordinates, a description, photos, and a hint. This is published on Snagthetag.com. The difference is that these tags are a one shot deal... someone goes to the published coordinates, finds the tag and gets to keep it. When they "log" the find online. the tag is credited to them and the tag is marked as claimed on the map. The finder then has to "redeem" the tag online (they still get to keep the tag) and will receive a trackable geocoin that the tag attaches to. The finder has to pay for shipping for the coin.

Hiders buy the tags to hide. So yes, hiders bear a majority of the cost. I have hidden tags for 7 games so far. It is a lot of work and I gladly bear the expense. I've also hosted two fall events to redeem tags. But, it is also a lot of enjoyment interacting with the finders and hearing their tales of trying to get a tag. 

One complaint from finders is "there are none in my area". This is because there are no set hiders. It is all dependent on who steps up to buy tags to hide. Just like hiding a geocache, it is dependent on those people that like to be hiders.

Edited by igator210
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, igator210 said:

Hiders buy the tags to hide. So yes, hiders bear a majority of the cost. I have hidden tags for 7 games so far. It is a lot of work and I gladly bear the expense. I've also hosted two fall events to redeem tags. But, it is also a lot of enjoyment interacting with the finders and hearing their tales of trying to get a tag. 

The part that confused me (OK, one of the parts) was the FAQ:

"How can I become a hider?

Hider opportunities come up from time to time. Reach out to us and inquire."

Why would you "inquire" if you have to buy one, and then why don't they instead state that "You buy a kit online when available, ask us where."?  Everything else seems to match up with what everyone knows about it.

https://www.snagthetag.com/faq.php?mode=1

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, igator210 said:

Snag the tag is design around a two part Geocoin. One part is a Tag that is hidden like a geocache, meaning it has coordinates, a description, photos, and a hint. This is published on Snagthetag.com. The difference is that these tags are a one shot deal... someone goes to the published coordinates, finds the tag and gets to keep it. When they "log" the find online. the tag is credited to them and the tag is marked as claimed on the map. The finder then has to "redeem" the tag online (they still get to keep the tag) and will receive a trackable geocoin that the tag attaches to. The finder has to pay for shipping for the coin.

One complaint from finders is "there are none in my area". This is because there are no set hiders. It is all dependent on who steps up to buy tags to hide. Just like hiding a geocache, it is dependent on those people that like to be hiders.

I get all of this, so far. Why is it so hard to find a tag? I have no reference for what information is given to seekers when a tag is hidden. Coordinates, photo. Is that it?

Can you elaborate on hosting an event to redeem tags? I thought you weren't allowed to tell anyone where you were hiding it. Does the event state that when you come there will be tags to find and redeem?

When a clue to the location of a tag is announced, it is very similar to an FTF race for a new cache.  This can be fun at an event that isn't a short meet and greet, such as a Mega Event.  Tags released every few hours during the Mega provide lots of opportunities for friendly competition and fun.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

From my limited understanding (this will be my first time participating) the 2 tags you hide will eventually be published (the coordinates and possibly pictures to the tags you submitted) will be released via the snag the tag (STT) website.  People, who would like to find a tag, have signed up on the STT website and set-up a notification to be alerted when tags (that are hidden in their area) are published.  Then it is a race to find the tag.  Similar I guess to an FTF race for a geocache.   The person who finds the tag first, removes the tag and logs it as found on the STT website so other people don’t go looking for that tag anymore. 

The guidelines on the website (for hiders) say not to place it in a  geocache.  

• Helpful 1
21 minutes ago, outdoorsoccer said:

From my limited understanding (this will be my first time participating) the 2 tags you hide will eventually be published (the coordinates and possibly pictures to the tags you submitted) will be released via the snag the tag (STT) website.  People, who would like to find a tag, have signed up on the STT website and set-up a notification to be alerted when tags (that are hidden in their area) are published.  Then it is a race to find the tag.  Similar I guess to an FTF race for a geocache.   The person who finds the tag first, removes the tag and logs it as found on the STT website so other people don’t go looking for that tag anymore. 

The guidelines on the website (for hiders) say not to place it in a  geocache.  

That is my understanding as well. 

14 hours ago, igator210 said:

It is all dependent on who steps up to buy tags to hide. Just like hiding a geocache, it is dependent on those people that like to be hiders.

So if no one in my local area is a "hider" there will be no tags to find?  And only one find per tag, plus if you hide you can't find, but there are multiple "games" so you have lots of opportunities?  This is all confusing to me!  I did sign up to get notified of tags, so maybe if I have the opportunity to find one it will make more sense.

14 hours ago, igator210 said:

But they are all a one time shot, right?  Once found, no one else can claim it?  I think I'd rather create a geocache that many people can find!  And although I can't find my own geocache, I can find others.  If I'm reading the rules correctly, for each "game" you can either hide or find but not both.  Right?

2 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

So if no one in my local area is a "hider" there will be no tags to find?  And only one find per tag, plus if you hide you can't find, but there are multiple "games" so you have lots of opportunities?  This is all confusing to me!  I did sign up to get notified of tags, so maybe if I have the opportunity to find one it will make more sense.

But they are all a one time shot, right?  Once found, no one else can claim it?  I think I'd rather create a geocache that many people can find!  And although I can't find my own geocache, I can find others.  If I'm reading the rules correctly, for each "game" you can either hide or find but not both.  Right?

Those are my understandings as well. I sure hope Finders have a good cell signal to log the find right away!

I wish there was a way to see, on a map, areas with lots of registered finders. Just my luck, no one will go after the ones I hide, within the time frame. 

Yes.  If there are no hiders in your area then there will be no tags to find. 

From the FAQ notes on the website, I believe hiders will get to see a map of all the tags hidden (not sure of just your area or all tags hidden for this game) hence you can’t be a hider and finder as you will have an unfair advantage.  Hopefully someone with more experience with this game can chime in.   Otherwise we will see what unfolds in a couple of days when  the game starts.  

18 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I get all of this, so far. Why is it so hard to find a tag? I have no reference for what information is given to seekers when a tag is hidden. Coordinates, photo. Is that it?

Can you elaborate on hosting an event to redeem tags? I thought you weren't allowed to tell anyone where you were hiding it. Does the event state that when you come there will be tags to find and redeem?

Finding a tag isn't hard, but if I hide 5 tags and 8 people try to get one, 3 people aren't going to find one. Its like an Easter Egg Hunt. 

Hosting is a special version of the game. There have been two fall games so far where tags are published leading up to a final event where all finders can redeem the tags they found. Its a celebration event of sorts.

16 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

More information.

How is the coordinate accuracy with non-geocachers who hide these tags?

As far as I know, all past hiders have been geocachers. Could a non-geocachers hide one? Sure. But you still need to provide coordinates, so accuracy wouldn't be any different than a new geocacher hider. 

16 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Why would my Hider Tag be on a Watchlist? Who is going to see it? Or get the number? Are they talking about geocachers finding it if I put it in a geocache?

After a tag is publish, you can watch it to see if it gets found. 

7 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Yes, there have been multiple games, but there is only one running right now... Mission Mammoth. You can be a finder in this game, and then a hider in the next. Or always be a finder. Some people like finding and some like being hiders... just like Geocaching. 

Yes.. its like an FTF prize. 

7 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Just my luck, no one will go after the ones I hide, within the time frame. 

Maybe my area is different since so many people know about it now, but out of all the games I've hidden for, only one tag had been in the wild for more then 24 hours. They rest took less than 6 hours to claim. 

7 hours ago, outdoorsoccer said:

From the FAQ notes on the website, I believe hiders will get to see a map of all the tags hidden (not sure of just your area or all tags hidden for this game) hence you can’t be a hider and finder as you will have an unfair advantage.  Hopefully someone with more experience with this game can chime in.   Otherwise we will see what unfolds in a couple of days when  the game starts.  

Hiders get to see where all submitted tags are for the game. Finders get to see where all published tags are for the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

A log from a previous game:

"Missed out by 15 minutes or less about 4 times ! Even beaten out other night by ******, with both if us traveling over 1 hour to get there! Was waiting at *******, when it went off! Figures! Closer to home than all the rest! Slow driver ahead of me, but I pulled in to see no other cars. Could it be? Headed over to tree and there it was! YEAH BABY!"

So it's like geocaching in that you use GPS coordinates and clues to hide/find the tags; it's like travel bugs in that once you "snag the tag" you trade it for a trackable (that can be placed in a geocache after the initial game) that can travel from cache to cache; and it's a FTF winner take all, one time find and only one find per tag.  Am I close?

I do enjoy travel bugs - setting them up and releasing, picking them up and moving them from cache to cache, taking photos of their journeys, and all that.  I'm not big on the FTF race when a new cache publishes - if it's fairly close by (5 miles or less?) and the timing works, then yeah, we'll give it a shot, and we've gotten a few, missed a few.  I've hidden a few caches and I enjoy the continuing logs I get from finders - with this I'd only get the one log from the single finder.  I don't think this game is for me!

A lot of folks don't "get" geocaching either, some don't do travel bugs, or the FTF side game, or challenges, or puzzles - you make the hobby what you want it to be and find the caches that appeal to you!  Waymarking is the same way - it doesn't appeal to everyone, and others love it.  These are all variations on a theme, and you play the one(s) that work for you!  I did sign up for this and will see what happens in a few days when tags get published; maybe I'll find one and get hooked!  But once I find one, I can't look for any more until the next round - so I'm done, right?

On 3/11/2020 at 5:18 PM, CAVinoGal said:

This is all new to me - and apparently it is a different website, a different game, and not connected to geocaching, except that you can buy these "kits" to hide things at the geocaching shop.  If I'm reading the rules correctly, if you are a "hider", you can't be a "finder" for each specific game?  https://www.snagthetag.com/faq.php  Each "game" is for a limited time - you have one hider and one finder for each tag, and the finder is supposed to get some sort of prize.  But what's in it for the hider?  I'm not sure I really understand this new game....or what is has to do with geocaching??

Looks like we will be learning the snag the tag game together.

13 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I wish I had a clue how much information to provide (besides accurate coordinates). Seeing a previous listing sure would be helpful.

You should be able to go into previous games and see the maps and tags . On the main screen click a game and then toggle the Missing & Claimed option on and off. Click a tag icon on the map and you can read the description.

36 minutes ago, igator210 said:

You should be able to go into previous games and see the maps and tags . On the main screen click a game and then toggle the Missing & Claimed option on and off. Click a tag icon on the map and you can read the description.

Thank you! Looks like the pages I created yesterday were done like most I've seen on the map.

There sure are a lot of "Redeemed not claimed" tags from a previous game!

I've noticed in photos of hidden tags for previous games that the tags are just hanging from trees. Mine are hidden inside a baggie, inside a fake rock, and I'm still worried about the weather affecting them! :D

If no one claims a tag I've hidden, am I supposed to go retrieve it when the game ends? I have absolutely no idea if anyone in my area is registered to be a finder. Clueless!

I'll find out soon enough. My two have been approved and are ready to be published.

Looking at some of the previous games it looks like there could be different styles of the same coin.  One of the rules says only 1 coin per household, so if you are a hider I assume the coin that comes with your pack counts as your household coin.  Although to me it would it would be cool to find a different style of the coin. 

Good luck Max on some one finding your tags!  Please us know when someone does find them.

Things are coming together. I woke up to a notification with zero chance of me going after. Still, it was fun. I love this random publishing algorithm! You have to be ready! 

7 hours ago, outdoorsoccer said:

Good luck Max on some one finding your tags!  Please us know when someone does find them.

Thank you!

On 3/16/2020 at 8:46 AM, Max and 99 said:

There sure are a lot of "Redeemed not claimed" tags from a previous game!

I noticed the same thing when I looked at previous games.  I wonder if that means finders didn’t log it as found, but they did use the code on the tag to get the real geocoin.  Or if they did log as found but didn’t pay the shipping for the real geocoin.  The tag is pretty nice by themselves.    I also noticed some tags were found after the event was over and after the redemption deadline.  So I guess people are leaving them out in the wild even after the game is over.   

Yes, if no one finds or claims a tag, it can be reported as missing. The way it works is that since they're all already purchased, it's no loss to STT if a tag is lost - it's a loss for the hider who bought it; so that encourages hiders to put them places where they want to be found, and ideally by a someone actually looking for the tag.

As far as STT goes, the 'prize' is the trackable tag, and the geocoin that goes with it for claiming the tag.  It's technically not "trading" the tag for the geocoin once you find it. The tag and its connected geocoin are yours to keep as a finder.

As a hider there isn't fundamentally a unique design tag/coin pair you purchase - you get from the same batch of coins minted for the game. A previous game had a variety of styles though which were basically random. There were multiple 'zombie' designs, so part of the fun was seeing which you would get, and opened the door for people (hiders and finders) to trade if they desired. I believe some people managed to trade and/or buy to collect each of them for a full set. Who knows.

Anyway... the very basics:

1. Hiders buy a pack to hide, including (typically) a tag/coin pair to keep, and a couple of tags to hide.

2. Once hidden, create the listing with coordinates and a description (it's more fun if the description and hide is in the theme of the current game)

3. The system will auto-publish the tag at a fairly random time

4. As a finder, set up notifications to learn of new publishes nearby

5. When you get a notification, decide if you think it's worth the rush to attempt the "FTF" (can't blame anyone but yourself if you're too late) - as with a geocaching ftf, never assume the finder will immediately report the find

6. If you are the first to find the tag, take it and keep it, report it as claimed, and win the partner geocoin which will be mailed to you.

* The initial tag you snagged is trackable on geocaching.com, as is the geocoin itself.

Games could be worldwide, regional, or closed to a specific localized event. Last year's Midwest Geobash had a game, and it was a ridiculously frantic fun time when any time during the days of the event a tag would be published on the event grounds, and within minutes almost each one was claimed, with crowds gathered trying to find it.

Of course there are downfalls - in a limited area, people tried to find them before they were published (since they have to be hidden beforehand without knowledge of when they'll publish) so some were reported as missing. Infamously, one had upwards of 50 people searching and everyone was certain it must have been found, but no one was claiming it. It got pretty annoying. Eventually the hider confirmed it was missing, but it was never claimed. It's possible that if someone doesn't know the game, they could find the tag and keep it not realizing it's an active piece; they may or may not even activate it as a trackable item. So it's good if hiders include some form of instruction with the tag.

I've been a finder for a few games and a hider for the zombie game. Sticking to finding this time, hoping someone else in my region signed up to hide :)

ETA: Further to point #1, each tag/coin pair is associated with a listing # on STT, whether it's from a hider pack or hidden in the wild. So a hider would "claim" the tag and coin they were sent in the hider pack, while finders would "claim" the tag they find in the wild so they can be sent the coin.  A listing that's hidden can be watched, mainly for those who are contemplating making a run for it, but can be given a chance to cancel the plan if it ends up found first.

Edited by thebruce0
  • Helpful 2
14 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Questions like this discourage me:

Are the hider coins the same as the finder coins? Basically if I’m a hider should I still watch for any to go find as well to get different color or finish?

No.... there is only one version of this coin.

21 hours ago, Max and 99 said:
On 3/12/2020 at 10:35 PM, CAVinoGal said:

I did sign up to get notified of tags, so maybe if I have the opportunity to find one it will make more sense.

I have a watch out for your area, so good luck!

So far the closest one published was several hours drive away - but I am watching the map too.  Our whole area is on "Shelter at Home" orders, only essential travel - I filled my gas tank today and we are stocked with food (but not overstocked, just enough for a couple of weeks).  We CAN get out and walk, and I do that every day, as do many others with dogs and kids and ....I just am not too sure about driving any distance just to get a tag, although I would be by myself, or just hubby and I.  Guess I just wait and see; the issue may never come up if no one near me has hidden one.  As with everything else, I'm taking things one day at a time, since every day seems to bring more changes.