Geocache transfer at Death

j6family

How do I allow the transfer of any or all of my geocaches to occur at my death or incapacitated to take care of them?  I heard that I could put something in my profile that would allow GC HQ have authority but not sure.  I only ask this because I do own a cache from 2002 and want it preserved for my area.  Yes my family are muggles---they just put up with me.  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I had not heard of any such provision. To tell the truth the only way I know to do any transfer is taking action before hand-- not planning to do do, but actually transferring via adoption.  I think the adoption procsss is initiated by the CO, so doing so afterwards would be rather difficult.

I guess you could make arrangements with someone  specific to take over in the situation you mention, just continue on without actual adoption.

Maybe you're talking about a "plan" to save "legacy" and "pioneer" hides ?   

IIRC folks with 2000 caches were contacted, and asked about what they'd like to do with their caches "JIC".  

It is mentioned that hides in a "test" within a couple states doesn't include those earlier than '04 .

I can't seem to find any thread explaining it,  but I'd bet an email to HQ can't hurt..    :)

• Upvote 1

I think giving your password to someone you trust so that they can log on as you and make a transfer is your best option.  

I am my local reviewer and I wouldn't ask me about this. In reviewer mode, I have zero authority to transfer caches.  If I were interested in arranging transfer for a particular cache on my death,  I'd contact HQ through the Help Center, contact at the bottom of this page

I'd use 01. My Account  

• Helpful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, The Leprechauns said:
2 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

I am my local reviewer and I wouldn't ask me about this. 

I love the phrasing of this.

I wouldn't ask my local reviewer either, but it's because I just don't like him.

haha

Well I would use judgment - I'd ask one of my local reviewers (probably not any of them) because he's more knowledgable than I am and he has better insight and he's very very friendly and helpful. Not all reviewers are (tho I have nothing against any of mine ;)).

That was the reasoning behind "probably best" to ask, not definitely. ;)

If you've got no helpful reviewers, or any you'd feel comfortable asking something like this, then I feel for you :unsure:

I wouldn't expect any reviewer would have the power to implement some future action. I was only suggesting asking for advice, even if they know how to direct you; some regions may already have policy, but most may n ot.  Obviously if you want to you can go straight to the top and ask at HQ if that suits you. I find reviewers tend to be more responsive in a timely manner, whether with an answer or not.  YMMV.  They are our community middle-men/women, and while some may not mind questions like this, others might. So, use judgment. But it's a safe bet that your local reviewer will be your best generic sage for advice. That's all I'm sayin'.

On 3/11/2020 at 9:33 AM, thebruce0 said:

I'd ask one of my local reviewers (probably not any of them) because he's more knowledgable than I am and he has better insight and he's very very friendly and helpful. Not all reviewers are (tho I have nothing against any of mine ;)).

:unsure: which of these to use :o :blink: :wub: :huh: :( :D :mellow:

• Funny 1
10 hours ago, CacheDrone said:
On 3/11/2020 at 9:33 AM, thebruce0 said:

I'd ask one of my local reviewers (probably not any of them) because he's more knowledgable than I am and he has better insight and he's very very friendly and helpful. Not all reviewers are (tho I have nothing against any of mine ;)).

:unsure: which of these to use :o :blink: :wub: :huh: :( :D 

vacuum.gif.ab7d9dc276fe146db47d62f14aca5bbb.gif

... *tap tap* Oh this thing is on? *glances around* What were we talking about again?

wavingyellow.gif.5a558ea96312fa584df630a5c4a500ba.gifdrinkingcheers.gif.ba3974b5c93fc5c600acc2903a3e2f99.gif

salute.gif

wedgie.gif

• Funny 1
On 6/2/2020 at 12:37 PM, Keystone said:

I wouldn't count on it.

Maybe. But a last will and testament to survivors containing your geocaching handle and password, and of course your intentions, would solve just about every possible problem arising from someone's demise.

• Upvote 1

I just have that stuff in a folder with everything else, JIC.   It simply has my password in pencil, and archiving info with directions.

When I first entered the hospital,  we had a few calling, interested in one still in play.  Only one offered maintenance...

I didn't think it was that big a deal,  but the area won't be available when it's gone.

So much for caring friends...  :D     They all did at least ask how I'm doing first.

Now that I know, I was thinking about auctioning it off while I'm alive.  :laughing:  

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1