Geocaching terminology

wixter

6 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I recently found a cache that had a hint we could not figure out. One of the previous logs stated: You'll understand the hint after you find the cache.

Which, unless it is maybe a hint about how to open the cache (for example, a cache with a lock), or instructions on returning the cache to it's correct position, or something in a similar vein, means it's a pretty poor hint.  

34 minutes ago, rosebud55112 said:

Which, unless it is maybe a hint about how to open the cache (for example, a cache with a lock), or instructions on returning the cache to it's correct position, or something in a similar vein, means it's a pretty poor hint.  

Same as a hint on a local cache, "It's red". The finder only discovers this when they open a cover and see the red box, which is obvious it's the cache, regardless of whatever colour the box had been. A non-hint.

My guess is "hidden in the open", i.e., in plain sight. That's the only thing I can think of that's generic enough for someone to think people could recognize it by its initials. Although, of course, no one actually would recognize it by its initials, hence this thread.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
2 hours ago, rosebud55112 said:

Good point. It was a hint on how to find the cache, so it truly was a poor hint.