Coronavirus COVID-19 Interactive Map vs Travels and Events

For those who like to travel to geocache, here is an interactive map from Johns Hopkins University showing the effects of coronavirus in real time:
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

And here are some Coronavirus live statistics and graphs:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Also, Coronavirus statistics by age and sex ratio :
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Figures may vary from site to site, depending on the frequency of updates.

Happy Geocaching and take care!

Edited by OusKonNé & Cétyla
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 4

I live in Japan and at the moment we are okay where I live, but the fear of using public transport has really put a damper on my caching activity so far this year. So far we have cancelled a trip to Hawaii and a conference that my wife was supposed to attend in Tokyo is now in jeopardy. 

6 hours ago, TerraViators said:

Is there any real possibility the events will be cancelled?

I'm no biologist, but most viral outbreaks tend to disappear in warmer weather. I won't make a prediction of what will happen with Covid-19, but history is on the side of it being dormant in August and then flair up again when it gets colder.

Austria: No outdoor events above 500 participants, no indoor events above 100 participants, universities closed not later than next Monday.

Czechia: schools and universities will be closed tomorrow, no events allowed with more than 100 participants.

Germany: several states (will) have restrictions for events: Bavaria, Schleswig Holsteim > 1000

France: no events > 1000

etc.

Italy of course has more severe restrictions.

More restrictions seem likely for European countries.

11 hours ago, TerraViators said:

Will the 23 reported deaths in Washington State attributed to Coronavirus COVID-19 influence your travels to the area for the HQ events in August?

Most of those deaths have been at nursing homes, where the residents are the most susceptible.  I bet TPTB are watching things but won't make a call until closer to the date.   

We just had a scheduled tour to Israel in May postponed for a year (travel insurance doesn't cover 'fear') so to save the money already paid we'll go next May.

4 hours ago, AnnaMoritz said:

Austria: No outdoor events above 500 participants, no indoor events above 100 participants, universities closed not later than next Monday.

Czechia: schools and universities will be closed tomorrow, no events allowed with more than 100 participants.

Germany: several states (will) have restrictions for events: Bavaria, Schleswig Holsteim > 1000

France: no events > 1000

etc.

Italy of course has more severe restrictions.

More restrictions seem likely for European countries.

It sounds like things are a little more restrictive in Europe.

My son was supposed to play in a high school wind ensemble concert tomorrow night in collaboration with the city concert band.  It's been cancelled.

I'm a big college hockey fan and have season tickets for the mens team at the university where I work.  Both the mens and womens teams are ranked #1 in the country right now.  The mens' team is playing in the conference tournament this weekend and so far it's still on the schedule.  However, one of the other quarter final series will be played in an empty rink.   For one of the other home series, the university is just recommending that anyone that has traveled within the last 14 days to a level 2 or 3 country, or a region in the U.S. which has had an outbreak refrain from attending large (more than 100 people)

One of the other Ivy league universities has essentially told their students that they shouldn't come back to campus from spring break.

I would imagine that at the rate things are progressing,  that their will be a recommendation not to attend any gather with more than 100 people.   Small geo-events might be okay, but really, is a geocaching event really that important that you're willing to risk the health of yourself and others?

We don’t normally travel anymore.  But with the virus, we’re staying home more.  We have tickets to a play this weekend but will likely cancel.  We’re in our 60s as is most of the attendees for these plays, so we’re being safe than sorry.

We’ll see how things play out in the next month.  To me, that’s when we’ll know which way the numbers are headed.

1 hour ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

It sounds like things are a little more restrictive in Europe.

My son was supposed to play in a high school wind ensemble concert tomorrow night in collaboration with the city concert band.  It's been cancelled.

I'm a big college hockey fan and have season tickets for the mens team at the university where I work.  Both the mens and womens teams are ranked #1 in the country right now.  The mens' team is playing in the conference tournament this weekend and so far it's still on the schedule.  However, one of the other quarter final series will be played in an empty rink.   For one of the other home series, the university is just recommending that anyone that has traveled within the last 14 days to a level 2 or 3 country, or a region in the U.S. which has had an outbreak refrain from attending large (more than 100 people)

One of the other Ivy league universities has essentially told their students that they shouldn't come back to campus from spring break.

I would imagine that at the rate things are progressing,  that their will be a recommendation not to attend any gather with more than 100 people.   Small geo-events might be okay, but really, is a geocaching event really that important that you're willing to risk the health of yourself and others?

And now all the tournament games at Cornell are cancelled and all large events at Ivy league universities are effectively cancelled.    I won't be surprised if the NCAA March Madness tournament is cancelled.

The schools and media to are free to panic but, the disease of COVID-19 is caused by the virus SARS-COV—2, pinpoint where this variant of SARS is a problem in the US and I’ll go along with shutting down events. If memory serves me correctly SARS-1 produced a casualty count of zero in the US.

On 3/10/2020 at 12:10 PM, NYPaddleCacher said:

Today I got a notice from our County Public Health agency (I live in Solano County, the first "community" case of the Coronavirus, and the home of Travis AFB where cruise passengers have been bussed to; it's a bit weird here now).  "Social Distancing Recommendations to reduce the Spread of Coronavirus" through March 31, pending re-evaluation: (paraphrased)

Cancelling or modifying "large gatherings" defined as "large numbers of people, particularly strangers, are within arm's length of one another".  And two pages of situations and recommendations.

The next county over just issued a similar document and specified gatherings of 50+ people as the threshold for cancellations.

It's directly affected my husband's work (he's retired but does safety training a few days a month) as the facility where he does the training has cancelled all gatherings for the next month or so.  A meeting I was to attend tonight was also cancelled due to the County Health recommendations (though our group is less than 30 people, and no one who is considered high risk is involved, but whatever, leadership cancelled an hour before the meeting).  

So, here I sit at home, wondering where and how all this is going to end, and if a glass of wine is any protection from whatever may be floating around in the air!!! I'm thinking it can't hurt!  I apologize to those of you in parts of the world where this is more serious - I don't mean to be flippant, but it seems our local people in leadership are over reacting and causing more disruption than is really necessary.  So I'll sip my wine and watch the numbers on the map by the OP, and figure the alcohol will kill off any virus nearby. :wacko:

• Upvote 2
9 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

I don't mean to be flippant, but it seems our local people in leadership are over reacting and causing more disruption than is really necessary.

I really do hope they are wrong, but Virologists have calculated that those infected with the virus double every 7 days.
So if we don't do anything to curb this, the US will have 20 million virus infected in about 3 months.

Current calculated death rate is about 0.5 %

Leaning back drinking wine is fine, I like this also, but the question is: should we take any risk or be proactive?

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/events-as-they-happen

WHO characterizes COVID-19 as a pandemic

11 March 2020

Speaking at the COVID-19 media briefing, the WHO Director-General said: 

"WHO has been assessing this outbreak around the clock and we are deeply concerned both by the alarming levels of spread and severity, and by the alarming levels of inaction.

We have therefore made the assessment that COVID-19 can be characterized as a pandemic.

Pandemic is not a word to use lightly or carelessly. It is a word that, if misused, can cause unreasonable fear, or unjustified acceptance that the fight is over, leading to unnecessary suffering and death.

Describing the situation as a pandemic does not change WHO’s assessment of the threat posed by this virus. It doesn’t change what WHO is doing, and it doesn’t change what countries should do.

We have never before seen a pandemic sparked by a coronavirus. This is the first pandemic caused by a coronavirus.

And we have never before seen a pandemic that can be controlled, at the same time."

• Helpful 1
16 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

My son's Spring Break just got extended another week. One small good thing. ^_^

They plan to transition to online classes after that, If I read it correctly.

Have you heard any specifics for "Spring Break", such as what to expect in regards to crowds gathering?  I had plans to visit Panama City Beach next week, mainly because it's winter and there's less going on during hurricane rebuilding.  Will there be a mass of diseased college kids partying there?  I'm still unsure about how serious everyone is about this pandemic. Um... I'm not serious about the pandemic, but supposedly everyone else is. B)

• Upvote 1

There is a second reason for everyone to be concerned about this pandemic, and it has nothing to do with catching COVID-19. The medical profession is trying to cope with this virus directly. Public health officials are trying to make sure that medical facilities are not overloaded to the point where you cannot get treated for the broken leg you got while climbing after that 2/4.5 geocache you needed to complete your D/T grid. The health and safety folks are trying to 'flatten the curve'. Google for it, there are lots of good articles.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Mausebiber said:

the question is: should we take any risk or be proactive?

Usual precautions, against the flu, this virus, the common cold ... stay home if you are sick, avoid large gatherings if possible, wash hands regularly, etc , etc.  Mydaughter in law is now working from home (that's kinda nice for her, no commute, lunch with hubby and kids, more flexible hours) indefinitely; many small buisnesses seem to be closing up shop due to loss of business, and that's really sad and done out of fear, not becuase of any direct effects of the virus.

Yes, people are sick, but many recover (just like with the flu, or a cold).  Some (elderly, those with already compromised immune systems) die, as they would with any easily transmitted diease.  

18 minutes ago, kunarion said:

I'm still unsure about how serious everyone is about this pandemic. Um... I'm not serious about the pandemic, but supposedly everyone else is. B)

And because of this seriousness, or panic, or fear, or whatever, things are snowballing, and THAT worries me!  I'm trying to go about my normal routine - but I do need to make a Costco run (NOT for TP--I got that 2 weeks ago before I knew all this was coming down so I'm stocked!) and I'm sondering what the place will look like!

Had a meeting cancelled last night (IMO, an over-reaction - it was a scout meeting, probably 20 scouts and 10 adults, no need to cancel), enjoyed my wine, and got an email this morning that another meeting tonight is still on - because they expect less than the 50 count threshold and we can sit "an arm's length away" from each other if we feel the need.  The over reactions seem to be feeding the fears ... THAT's what has me worried!!

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
39 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

Usual precautions, against the flu, this virus, the common cold ... stay home if you are sick, avoid large gatherings if possible, wash hands regularly, etc , etc.  Mydaughter in law is now working from home (that's kinda nice for her, no commute, lunch with hubby and kids, more flexible hours) indefinitely; many small buisnesses seem to be closing up shop due to loss of business, and that's really sad and done out of fear, not becuase of any direct effects of the virus.

Yes, people are sick, but many recover (just like with the flu, or a cold).  Some (elderly, those with already compromised immune systems) die, as they would with any easily transmitted diease.  

And because of this seriousness, or panic, or fear, or whatever, things are snowballing, and THAT worries me!  I'm trying to go about my normal routine - but I do need to make a Costco run (NOT for TP--I got that 2 weeks ago before I knew all this was coming down so I'm stocked!) and I'm sondering what the place will look like!

Had a meeting cancelled last night (IMO, an over-reaction - it was a scout meeting, probably 20 scouts and 10 adults, no need to cancel), enjoyed my wine, and got an email this morning that another meeting tonight is still on - because they expect less than the 50 count threshold and we can sit "an arm's length away" from each other if we feel the need.  The over reactions seem to be feeding the fears ... THAT's what has me worried!!

Is Costco packed with a fever-sweat crowd all clawing over each other for the last dust mask?  Or is it more like a long line of sullen people buying their limit of two packs of toilet paper or whatever?  I've heard that planes are almost empty, but I'm too chicken to try it.  Not because I'm expecting to die of disease, but because I'm noticing "various groups of people getting quarantined for a couple of weeks", and I sure don't want to be quarantined when I'm traveling.

Probably the best idea is to try not to get sick, and try not to make everyone around you sick.  The whole world will get these bugs, but it's great if it doesn't happen all at once.  Things like taking all the hand wipes to sell on ebay, that's no good.  I'm seeing a lot more of "taking advantage of a crisis" than "healthful dealing with a crisis".   Makes me not take it seriously.

Edited by kunarion

Until now in my country (Austria) only one person has died from Covid-19 - not a national problem

It is likely that 400 infected are reached today in my country - not a national problem

Look at this:

noproblem.jpg.f77489b87b355fab91aadecd1a85119f.jpg

Still no problem in sight, less than 500 cases in 8 million in a rich country with good health care?

My country has, let's say 8 beds in hospitals per 1000 inhabitants and let's say 2500 ICU. 4% of the infected will need ICU, 14% will need hospitalisation.

Well, now look at what will happen if no measures were taken:

problem.thumb.jpg.29ac9d3bceb185d4df1d1e43ec70c755.jpg

My country sees a problem and has taken measures that seem heavy, in a few days (incubation period, start of measures), maybe not until day 27-29 we'll see whether 'flatten the curve' works.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2
13 minutes ago, kunarion said:

The whole world will get these bugs, but it's great if it doesn't happen all at once. 

I think, this is the key.  Probably most everyone will get the virus sooner or later, and the later you get it, the better it is.  Doctors and virus experts will have more experience, maybe some medical treatment will be available, hospitals will have enough space if your case is very serious, and so on.  What I read is, that we must do everything to slow down the spreading of this virus.

Therefore, President Trump did exactly the right thing, even thousand of tourists form Europe will not be able to visit the US:

(Google Translation:)

Coronavirus: USA close borders for almost all Europeans
5.05 a.m .: In a speech from the White House, US President Donald Trump reacted to the widening coronavirus pandemic, the increasing number of cases in the USA and the political pressure in his own country: The Trump administration initially imposed a 30-day period a general entry ban for people from Europe.
The entry ban is to come into effect on Friday at midnight (local time), as President Donald Trump announced on Wednesday in his television speech. According to him, it does not apply to US citizens living in Europe who would be tested negatively for the pathogen. Great Britain is also exempt from the entry ban.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

Have you heard any specifics for "Spring Break", such as what to expect in regards to crowds gathering?  

If the news yesterday was any indication, all the bars and beaches were packed with kids in most areas they travel to already.  

I watched a sci-fi short just a little while ago that hinted that college-age kids will create the zombie apocalypse.   :D

Young, healthy, and believe they're invulnerable.  :)

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

If the news yesterday was any indication, all the bars and beaches were packed with kids in most areas they travel to already.  

I watched a sci-fi short just a little while ago that hinted that college-age kids will create the zombie apocalypse.   :D

Young, healthy, and believe they're invulnerable.  :)

It seems in this case they might well be invulnerable. From what I've heard, the virus only produces very mild symptoms (if any) in children and it's the old geezers like me who are most at risk.

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, barefootjeff said:

From what I've heard, the virus only produces very mild symptoms (if any) in children and it's the old geezers like me who are most at risk.

I hear ya.  I'm camping in.  Just left the hospital last week (Docs said home was safer) and can't afford a cold much less this carp.  :)

• Upvote 1
On 3/10/2020 at 7:52 AM, dimwit61 said:

I live in Japan and at the moment we are okay where I live, but the fear of using public transport has really put a damper on my caching activity so far this year. So far we have cancelled a trip to Hawaii and a conference that my wife was supposed to attend in Tokyo is now in jeopardy. 

@dimwit61 Can you tell me more about the situation in Japan? I had a trip planned in just 10 days and consider cancelling, even though I'll lose the money for the flight ticket. The idea was to stay in Tokyo and do a day trip to either Nikko or Kamakura, depending on jetlag. but with pretty much everything closed (that's what it sounds like to me) there's no point I guess.

7 hours ago, Wet Pancake Touring Club said:

There is a second reason for everyone to be concerned about this pandemic, and it has nothing to do with catching COVID-19. The medical profession is trying to cope with this virus directly. Public health officials are trying to make sure that medical facilities are not overloaded to the point where you cannot get treated for the broken leg you got while climbing after that 2/4.5 geocache you needed to complete your D/T grid. The health and safety folks are trying to 'flatten the curve'. Google for it, there are lots of good articles.

And here's another.  The university where I work has decided to move to virtual instruction for the remaining of the semester as well as send undergrads home at the beginning of Spring break and they are not to return for the remaining of the semester (~ 8 weeks).   That's about 15,000 students and there is another smaller college in town that is extending spring break and is "hoping" that students will be able to come back in April.   A local news source described the economic impact of students leaving early as horrific.  It is estimated that the students contribute about $4 million a week to the local economy.  This is a small town of only about 30K population (without the students).  

12 hours ago, terratin said:

@dimwit61 Can you tell me more about the situation in Japan? I had a trip planned in just 10 days and consider cancelling, even though I'll lose the money for the flight ticket. The idea was to stay in Tokyo and do a day trip to either Nikko or Kamakura, depending on jetlag. but with pretty much everything closed (that's what it sounds like to me) there's no point I guess.

Generally where I am in the west of the country there isn't a real problem. Two cases in my prefecture, one in Hiroshima, a few in Kyushu. Osaka, Tokyo Nagoya and Hokkaido seem to be the hotspots. The thing is however, there already has been a lot of events  shutting down Tokyo is not nearly is crowded as it usually is. Most of the tourist attractions are still open, it is sporting events concerts and like that are cancelled. Still if you are coming it would be a better idea to get out of the Tokyo area IMO.

16 minutes ago, dimwit61 said:

Generally where I am in the west of the country there isn't a real problem. Two cases in my prefecture, one in Hiroshima, a few in Kyushu. Osaka, Tokyo Nagoya and Hokkaido seem to be the hotspots. The thing is however, there already has been a lot of events  shutting down Tokyo is not nearly is crowded as it usually is. Most of the tourist attractions are still open, it is sporting events concerts and like that are cancelled. Still if you are coming it would be a better idea to get out of the Tokyo area IMO.

Thanks a lot @dimwit61 Getting out of Tokyo is also something I'm considering. I'm just completely unprepared at the moment to go elsewhere. The trip is too short for extensive hiking or traveling around, it's too early in the year for Mount Fuji (if still 'open') and my hiking gear not suitable for potential snow, and other tourist hotspots won't be much better than Tokyo. Need to see what I could do instead. I guess I have a weekend of googling ahead of me :)

32 minutes ago, terratin said:

Thanks a lot @dimwit61 Getting out of Tokyo is also something I'm considering. I'm just completely unprepared at the moment to go elsewhere. The trip is too short for extensive hiking or traveling around, it's too early in the year for Mount Fuji (if still 'open') and my hiking gear not suitable for potential snow, and other tourist hotspots won't be much better than Tokyo. Need to see what I could do instead. I guess I have a weekend of googling ahead of me :)

If you get out to Hiroshima there is some great hiking on Miyajima which boasts both a world famous shrine and quite a number of caches. Snow should not be a problem there. Last year at this time we went down to Yakushima (another world heritage site) in Kagoshima where there are no corona virus cases and some amazing hiking. 

44 minutes ago, dimwit61 said:

If you get out to Hiroshima there is some great hiking on Miyajima which boasts both a world famous shrine and quite a number of caches. Snow should not be a problem there. Last year at this time we went down to Yakushima (another world heritage site) in Kagoshima where there are no corona virus cases and some amazing hiking. 

Thanks a lot! That sounds fabulous! And mind you, i do 'collect' world heritage sites. :wub: Lets see what's possible. Unless of course a (not really surprising) travel ban pops up.

On 3/9/2020 at 10:46 PM, TerraViators said:

Will the 23 reported deaths in Washington State attributed to Coronavirus COVID-19 influence your travels to the area for the HQ events in August?

No, my name is NOT CHICKEN LITTLE.

• Upvote 1

Well, as someone who works in a restaurant, I lost two of my three shifts this week...my restaurant has closed for Monday tomorrow and is only open in dinner service on Tuesday....I'm going to have maybe 5 hours this week. 

In the meantime, I'll be hiding a T5 large ammocan this coming week as a way to kill some time and finally get that out of the way....I've been planning this hide since July haha. Ammocans are a rarity in my city, and T5's are pretty well only water related caches in my city.

Edited by DreamMachine74
  • Upvote 1
13 hours ago, DreamMachine74 said:

Well, as someone who works in a restaurant, I lost two of my three shifts this week...my restaurant has closed for Monday tomorrow and is only open in dinner service on Tuesday....I'm going to have maybe 5 hours this week. 

In the meantime, I'll be hiding a T5 large ammocan this coming week as a way to kill some time and finally get that out of the way....I've been planning this hide since July haha. Ammocans are a rarity in my city, and T5's are pretty well only water related caches in my city.

I feel for you.  I read that the state of Illinois is closing all restaurants and bars for at least a couple of weeks.

I am glad to see some people still placing caches.  I saw that four were published in my notification area this morning.  I don't on plan on attending any events but it seems to me that geocaching is something that can be done safely with only some basic common sense precautions.

3 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I feel for you.  I read that the state of Illinois is closing all restaurants and bars for at least a couple of weeks.

I am glad to see some people still placing caches.  I saw that four were published in my notification area this morning.  I don't on plan on attending any events but it seems to me that geocaching is something that can be done safely with only some basic common sense precautions.

It's great. Someone hid one near me, and it's still not found (1/1 cache right near one of my own), but I'm now saving it for a day when I need a find REALLY close to me.

I hid a cache a few days ago and need to figure out how to do some internet wizardry before publishing it....taking me forever because I hate using the internet for a lot of things other than browsing and such. 

Also updated a cache needing maintenance yesterday with a tougher hiding spot (2D/4T rating to 2.5D/5T)...and a local cacher is actually heading out to find it today o get some alone time due to this whole situation.

Might try and convince some high school friends to geocache....may as well in these strange times.

Hello,
Not related to travelling but covid-.19. I see a lot of discussion on social media concerning the disabling of caches to avoid people going out on geocaching. (eg facebook.)
What is the general thought about this? Disabling doesn't mean that caches can be logged is it? As long as the physical cache is not removed that is.

Is there  an official HQ directive how to treat this covid period?
Of course (big) events shouldn't be attended in most countries, but being outside, relieve from stress and get sun, fresh air shouldn't be halted? At least not in my opinion.

Would be good to get som guidance to the community.

50 minutes ago, leor888 said:

Not related to travelling but covid-.19. I see a lot of discussion on social media concerning the disabling of caches to avoid people going out on geocaching. (eg facebook.)
What is the general thought about this? Disabling doesn't mean that caches can be logged is it? As long as the physical cache is not removed that is.

Edited by TriciaG