Animated GIF's : No Longer work

RayQix

Good morning.

I have had some Animated GIF images in some puzzles of my own hides, some as recent as a year, and now those are either missing or do not work.

They were hosted on OTHER sites, but even adding them to the Cache Page themselves, have done nothing and the Animations no longer work.

This has now disabled the function of the puzzle(s) and i can LINK to another site, but not have the animations actually on the page(s) like they were.

Any idea how to fix this or make it work?

thanks - in advance. :)

- RayQix - Metro Detroit MI, USA

6 hours ago, RayQix said:

Good morning.

I have had some Animated GIF images in some puzzles of my own hides, some as recent as a year, and now those are either missing or do not work.

They were hosted on OTHER sites, but even adding them to the Cache Page themselves, have done nothing and the Animations no longer work.

This has now disabled the function of the puzzle(s) and i can LINK to another site, but not have the animations actually on the page(s) like they were.

Any idea how to fix this or make it work?

thanks - in advance. :)

- RayQix - Metro Detroit MI, USA

Do you mean the GIFs are in view but they don't animate?  Do you have an example?  You have a ton of puzzle caches, and here's one of them with animated GIFS embedded in the page and hosted on Geocaching.com, and they are animating. 

If you have GIFs hosted on Geocaching.com and they aren't loading properly anymore, you may have to instead host them elsewhere.  If the files are especially huge, you also need a suitable server and cache page visitors who have a fast connection or patience.  The thread you linked to had a "9.1 MB GIF", and it's been 3 months without publication of that cache.  If it's not part of the puzzle, it could be a static JPG and exist on the page just fine.  Or it can be any kind of linked file that users are likely to be able to run.  I've found that I can't talk people out of a way-cool (and ill-advised) "animated GIF idea", so I tend to just post what one may try, and watch them crash and burn :huh:.  

Edited by kunarion
4 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Alternatively you could just provide a direct link to the animated GIF instead of embedding it in the description.

Yeah, but for a lot of animated GIF puzzles, that makes it obvious to the point of being a spoiler.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, niraD said:
16 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Alternatively you could just provide a direct link to the animated GIF instead of embedding it in the description.

Yeah, but for a lot of animated GIF puzzles, that makes it obvious to the point of being a spoiler.

I didn't say it was an optimal solution :P Just an alternative (and in the context of a 9MB animated GIF, I for one would prefer it's not auto-loaded with the viewing of a cache description).

I've done a number of puzzles where linking to the image would betray the natural assumption that the image is just a basic embedded image.  But I fear that HQ is moving to the point where we won't be able to do any of that without linking to any obviously 3rd party hosted media.

The only other option is to use your own host for every image, even normal ones, to somewhat hide the 'special' ones.