More Charlotte Caches!

Guest Hard Slate

Guest Hard Slate

It's great to see more caches popping up in Charlotte.I will plant one in the city limits before venturing out and planting some in the surrounding wilderness areas.I hope to see more soon.Cache-on!

Hard Slate

[This message has been edited by Hard Slate (edited 18 June 2001).]

Guest adventuretom

It's nice to see a mix of easy and hard. There are those that you can grab coming home from work and others that take half the day or more. I know it has kept me busy. I'm going to plant one this week that will allow people that work in my area to make a lunchtime hunt (or quick after work). I figure it will help break up the day. If it works out, I will move it every couple of weeks. I am also working on a multiparter that will take a while to set up. This one should have a bonafide treasure at the finish. -- adventuretom

Guest Snowtrail

I was going to go after the Knight yesterday, but after a pretty lengthy backpacking trip, I decided to unpack instead. I'll try again this coming weekend. I think it's time for another in town cache. I have to find just the right place for it though...

Guest Hard Slate

Yes,I hope to post one this weekend. Then plan on placing one possibly in Pisgah.[This message has been edited by Hard Slate (edited 19 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Hard Slate (edited 24 June 2001).]

Guest CacherintheRye

I am going to do my part in keeping the interest in caching growing in the area ..i am planning a multi-stage cache in the near future (by or before the 4th of July) stay tuned for more details.....

Guest adventuretom

If you place that one I look forward to hunting for it.

[This message has been edited by adventuretom (edited 26 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by adventuretom (edited 26 June 2001).]

Guest Hard Slate

Allright Tom!Good job!I hope you enjoyed the hunt. Tho I was hoping it would stay a little longer. But, good news, I get to find it again!-Hard Slate

---by the way, THANKS!

[This message has been edited by Hard Slate (edited 26 June 2001).]

Guest adventuretom

I still can't get over Chaz finding a couple having sex where I hid the garden. Maybe one of my new caches needs to be called "Sex in the trees". LOL.

Guest adventuretom

Well, after today I think I need to set a goal of hiding a cache that remains hidden from Bounty Hunter for more than 24 hours. He scooped both of my new locations today! Neither one stayed hidden more than a day. LOL.

Guest Hard Slate

Yeah, you gotta watch that Bounty Hunter,he gets on them quick.But when you see his numbers, I guess he's drooling over new local caches.As soon as my work calms down a little, I plan on placing a good one.I was going to place an easy one up from the house, but after exploring a little, I think these woods would make a great multi-leg.-Hard Slate

[This message has been edited by Hard Slate (edited 28 June 2001).]

Guest adventuretom

Failure! Could not find Off the Beaten Path. I was getting good readings so I'm sure I was close but never could find the blue marker (or tape). Saw lots of tape (orange) a bike ramp and the remains of an old treehouse. Hard Slate e-mail me a hint at the one you found yesterday. adventure_team@juno.com -- adventuretom

Guest Hard Slate

Hi Tom,that musta been you coming in about the time I was leaving(about 8:20).I wanted to say more than just hi, but decided to hide my gps so as not to give anything away.So let me apologize for not being more friendly, that normaly isn't my style.OK, hint, I'll e-mail you.

I also need to tell you guys I just posted my first cache!YEAH! icon_biggrin.gifI'm afraid I might have underated the difficulty a little. But we'll see soon enough.

I've allready started plans for a multileg to post in a couple of weeks.

Good Luck and,

Good Caching!

Hard Slate

Guest Hard Slate

Hi Tom,that musta been you coming in about the time I was leaving(about 8:20).I wanted to say more than just hi, but decided to hide my gps so as not to give anything away.So let me apologize for not being more friendly, that normaly isn't my style.OK, hint, I'll e-mail you.

I also need to tell you guys I just posted my first cache!YEAH! icon_biggrin.gifI'm afraid I might have underated the difficulty a little. But we'll see soon enough.

I've allready started plans for a multileg to post in a couple of weeks.

Good Luck and,

Good Caching!

Hard Slate

Guest CacherintheRye

Actually Hard Slate I think that was me sat 8:20 am--had my Gps in hand looked for yours didn't see it so just said hi also.

However did not locate cache ..unit said 2 feet no blue tape to be found circled saw plenty of orange tape too-looks like i'll have to revisit.

Planning some hide myself.

Guest adventuretom

Yeah, we came later after lunch. I met two other teams of cachers today and they failed at this one also. I think maybe the obvious fooled us all. It fits none of the patterns I look for, which means it was done very well. I need to think smarter from now on! Thanks for the tip. I'll swing by tommorrow. I worked some on my multiparter this weekend. Those take a while. I hope to finish it over the holiday weekend. Already made up the container and a very worthy prize.

Guest adventuretom

Oh yeah. While hunting another cache I swung by to check out the Octi Garden. No kids having sex, but there was a chicken there! Must be something odd about this spot, it really attracts strange things. I still can't beleive a live chicken was roaming around. I posted a picture if you haven't seen it. I think in addition to finding all the new trails and parks I like all the surprises that keep popping up.

Guest Hard Slate

A chicken hunh?This may be a strange place. My first cache doesn't have any special prize, other than the walk in.If you choose the right path it is a nice walk through some varied landscapes(go left).I grew up running through here, it was nice to go back in there.Awesome mtn bike trails.

Guest adventuretom

with a door on the side and front. Obviously for wildlife, but for what? Nice location, all the holes add to the atmosphere and it's nice to beat Bounty Hunter for once. I covered it back up well, so it won't be easy for him. Thanks Hard Slate!

Guest Hard Slate

Tom, I ran these woods as a kid back in the 70's, they sure have changed.The big box is an owl box. We are trying to keep these woods from becoming condos, and the wildlife sanctuary seems to be paying off.

[This message has been edited by Hard Slate (edited 02 July 2001).]

Guest Hard Slate

Snowtrail, I never laughed.I got a phone call a couple hours later wanting to know "where the **** is this **** thing!"

But anyway, it was a pleasure to meet you face to face,And I'm glad to see you found it.Until next time.....Hard Slate

Guest Snowtrail

I did have fun. When they're a little hard to find, it makes the find that much more gratifying. Glad the fire is out. It'd be awful for us to finally save the woods and then have them burned down and made into condos anyway...

I placed one today (1/1) nearby The Big Hole, relatively speaking. I averaged the coords and am going to go back to it tonight to check to see if they were even close. I'll post them tomorrow.

Guest CacherintheRye

After work today --and taking four hours to "do"---I wanted to give an advance notice of my 4-parter multi-cache.These multi parters are harder to set up than i thought. eek.gif

Guest CacherintheRye

Hard Slate, I think the 1st would take no longer than the typical 1/1 cache...2nd one about the same as the first but you will need to do some info gathering at that location or on the internet to solve clues to get to #3..#3 is going to take longer to find and figure out how to get to/attack and find...4th alittle easier but remote.

All that being said...including drive time and info gathering 6 to 8 hours should be about right. An all day or weekend cache would probably be about right.

Guest adventuretom

Yep, these multiparters take quite a while to set up. I spent about five hours considering time to fix up the locations with the clues. Just posted it today. I need more time to find all the new ones though! Mine should take less than a typical four parter because clues are at each location and the area is not real large.

Guest Hard Slate

Wow! Didn't expect that.But I am looking forward to jumping on it.I was right at the first clue today with gps in hand, didn't have time to go for it tho.

Guest CacherintheRye

Hard Slate & others, Dont be intimadated by the time I said it could take less if all goes well and you move quickly from cache to cache.But to do it leisurely (sp?)with a couple of pit stops 6-8 would be about right.

Guest CacherintheRye

I guess intimadated was a little strong .D But I was a little off on time needed since the PGA crew did it in about 4 hours..caching in the dark..interesting concept.Later.

Guest adventuretom

Snowtrail - Your coordinates were dead on. I went right to the spot. Neat hiding place. At first I didn't see it and had to work a little to find it.

Guest Hard Slate

I've noticed that too.I'm almost dissapointed

He hasn't hit mine yet.

And to date, BH's knight for a day cache has been the best I've been on.Tho there are two more multi leg caches I havn't seen yet(gonna fix that this weekend).

Guest Snowtrail

Bounty Hunter might be on vacation or a business trip. . .

Thanks Adventuretom, I took 3 points on each day over two days and then averaged them. Then I went back the following day just to see if they were correct. It's a little intimidating placing your first cache, and my last coords were off...

I have a tendency to look at parks in a new way after getting a GPS.

Guest adventuretom

My multi is much easier than Knight. It wasn't the area I wanted and I needed to test how the stages are set, so I scaled it back. Let me know how you think the way I placed the "clue" coordinates works. It's not the typical ziploc bag or small container. It's also pretty permanent if not removed. I think these are pretty visible, so my next ones will probably be in camo, if this works out!

Guest Hard Slate

AT,found the gold, well the treasure chest anyway.I have to say I was impressed.This was the kind of cache I really enjoy.I'm glad I got to find your multileg before planting mine.I have to put mine on hold for a little while unfortunatly, but I did get an idea or two to think about.I can't wait to jump on ryecacher's.But that will have to wait a little while also.I am shamed that I took the tags and had nothing to leave in it's place. icon_frown.gif But I can't resist your luggage tags, I wish more caches had them.Thanks again for a fun afternoon! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Hard Slate

AT,found the gold, well the treasure chest anyway.I have to say I was impressed.This was the kind of cache I really enjoy.I'm glad I got to find your multileg before planting mine.I have to put mine on hold for a little while unfortunatly, but I did get an idea or two to think about.I can't wait to jump on ryecacher's.But that will have to wait a little while also.I am shamed that I took the tags and had nothing to leave in it's place. icon_frown.gif But I can't resist your luggage tags, I wish more caches had them.Thanks again for a fun afternoon! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest adventuretom

There's not much room in that one to leave anything! I'm glad you took one of the tags. That hunt was originally going to be bigger, but I had to scale it back when I changed the location. Still it took a while to set up because I had to record all the coordinates, then go home and make the markers and then go back a few days later and place the markers. The working names of the four stages were yellow, orange, blue and pink. If you have really good eyes you can see why they are named that.

Guest Hard Slate

Cacherintherye, great cache!The dash for the cache was a lot of fun.I hope more people try this cache, they don't know what they're missing! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Hard Slate

Cacherintherye, great cache!The dash for the cache was a lot of fun.I hope more people try this cache, they don't know what they're missing! icon_biggrin.gif