Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
jhuoni

LIttle Free Pantries (formerly Blessing Boxes)

I had a trip planned to waymark a bunch of LFP.  After I got those all planned out with addresses, etc., I thought I'd see if there were any LFL nearby that  I could also visit. I was so surprised to find out that quite a few of the free pantries I had planned to waymark were already way marked under free book exchanges. Now I wish I hadn't looked. So if you are an officer in the free pantry category can you please chime in. Are those pantries that are waymarked as a library not waymarkable under pantries now? And what would have happened if I hadn't known about it, and submitted it as a pantry? I hope an officer will explain what to do in these situations. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

This is just my personal opinion: I think those boxes that are pantries and not a combination of a library and a pantry, should be declined in Free Community Book Exchanges and resubmitted in the correct category. At first I thought there was just a few but I'm seeing more. 

This is an interesting case.  Imho I think that a small library with an integrated free pantry should be accepted in both cat's. If I take for instance the Eiffel Tower, that one fits in 10 cat's. 

The purpose of this cat is to Waymark little free pantries. When a little free pantry is combined with books, then there is still the feature of the pantry in it.  So, I would say welcome in both cat's as long as the requirements for posting are met.

23 minutes ago, Axel-F said:

This is an interesting case.  Imho I think that a small library with an integrated free pantry should be accepted in both cat's. If I take for instance the Eiffel Tower, that one fits in 10 cat's. 

The purpose of this cat is to Waymark little free pantries. When a little free pantry is combined with books, then there is still the feature of the pantry in it.  So, I would say welcome in both cat's as long as the requirements for posting are met.

Thank you for responding! I assume from your response that if I find a pantry that is a pantry only but it is waymarked under free community book exchanges I can still submit it to free pantries. 

Thank you very much for posting a response!

• Upvote 1

Today I visited what is touted, if I understood correctly, as the very first LFP, the one that started the movement. I was hoping for a plaque stating this so I could waymark it under Firsts. 

On 9/19/2020 at 8:00 PM, Max and 99 said:

Today I visited what is touted, if I understood correctly, as the very first LFP, the one that started the movement. I was hoping for a plaque stating this so I could waymark it under Firsts. 

So, make your own sign. :D It doesn't say you can't:D

On a short walk the other day, we came across 2 LFL's, both official with numbers and the LFL plaque and all.  I'll check and see if they are already listed, and then visit or waymark them soon when I am prepared to get coordinates and take photos and all that.

One had books all individually wrapped in cellophane, said they had been sanitized, and said to take one if we wanted to , but please don't leave any during this time of COVID.

The other had books on the top shelf and canned goods, boxes of pasta, etc on the the bottom shelf, so a combination box.  I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable taking food items from a place like a LFP - the idea sounds good, in theory, but how long have they been there, and it just seems weird to have food out there like that.  Just me and my opinion, and I realize there are some who are grateful for a little bit of food provided.

• Surprised 2