LIttle Free Pantries (formerly Blessing Boxes)

Please take a moment to read and comment on the following category proposal.  

Free Little Pantries and Blessing Boxes

Description:
A Little Free Pantry, Blessing Box, or by any other name is what this category is looking for. The idea is simple. The box is a miniature food pantry -- receiving items from those who want to donate, and offering it to those who need them. The most common design is that of the Free Little Library - a post mounted wooden box with a door to protect the contents from the elements. Inside is placed non perishable food items..

Expanded Description:
Little Free Pantries and Blessing Boxes are along the same concept as Little Free Libraries but they are filled with donated, free nonperishable foods and personal hygiene products and left in public locations. The Little Free Pantry utilizes a familiar, compelling concept to pique local interest in and action against local food insecurity. The Little Free Pantry offers a place around which neighbors might coalesce to meet neighborhood needs. The typical Little Free Pantry looks like a Little Free Library but they have their own website and mapping network. (visit link)

The motto of the little free library might be Take One, Leave One. The motto of the Little Free Pantries box would be Take what you need, Leave what you can.

The preceding is from the Little Free Pantry website: (littlefreepantry.org)

How does the Little Free Pantry differ from other food pantries?

• The LFP is small, so it cannot stock the quantity and variety other food pantries can. For this reason, it should not be relied on for meeting pervasive need.
  • Many food pantries require application before use and have set hours of operation. Anyone may access the LFP at any time.
  • Food pantries operate as service providers, those who use them as clients. The LFP dissolves that professional boundary. Whether stocking or taking stock, everyone approaches the LFP the same way, mediating the shame that accompanies need.
  • Food pantries are critical in addressing food insecurity. But some fall through the cracks. The LFP is a safety net.
  • The LFP is a proving ground, testing concepts like community, charity, justice, and sharing economy.

Instructions for Posting a Little Free Pantry Waymark:

Long Description:  Please include a description of the FLP, its location and some of the items which are inside.

A minimum of TWO ORIGINAL SENTENCES are required.

Language Requirement:"If your Waymark submission is located in a non English speaking area, please include an English translation in addition to your country's language.

Photo Requirement: At least TWO photos are required. One close up and one showing the FLP and surroundings. Additional photos are appreciated.

Naming of Waymark:
Title: Name - Town/City - State/Province - Country.

Instructions for Visiting a Waymark in this Category:

First and foremost respect the privacy of anyone in the area.

Post at least one photo taken during your Waymarking visit along with your comments about the FLP or your visit.

As of this draft, there are no photos in the description.  Do they need to be added?  

Edited by jhuoni
Added LONG DESCRIPTION requirements -- removed line spacing in bullets -- edited "Language Requirement" statement -- Added "from website" info.
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

It is my opinion....that these little pantries shouldn't be in the Little Free Library category. When I voted for the free community book exchange, only books were mentioned. Not food donations. I definitely think the pantries should be in their own category. But what about the pantries that are already waymarked until the free community book exchange category? It is my opinion that one shouldn't be in both categories.

It's unlikely that those pantries accepted in error in the book exchange category would be cross-posted in the new category.

11 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

The description says "Anyone may access the LFP at any time.". Does that mean that such places wouldn't be accepted, if they are NOT available 7x24?

I checked several locations at https://foodsharing.de/karte and found only one that is available day and night.

I don't believe that hours of availability would be a problem.   I found refrigerated food in the UK.  I am sure that these are somehow secured overnight,  

Yes, the Freedge would be accepted as well. 

Hi John,

"If your waymark submission is located outside the USA"

Please amend that to read something more like "If your Waymark submission is located in a non English speaking area".

That sentence is, however inadvertently, extremely nationalistic, somewhat regionalistic, particularly with regard to its its potentially negatively inferred meaning. It disregards the entirety of the English speaking world outside the USA, of which there is a great deal. In terms of both land area and population, it exceeds those of the USA.

Thanks, Keith

PS - I would suggest that you remove the spaces between the bulletted points. The bullets themselves create sufficient "spacing" between individual points. That's their job.

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Upvote 2
20 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

Hi John,

"If your waymark submission is located outside the USA"

Please amend that to read something more like "If your Waymark submission is located in a non English speaking area".

That sentence is, however inadvertently, extremely nationalistic, somewhat regionalistic, particularly with regard to its its potentially negatively inferred meaning. It disregards the entirety of the English speaking world outside the USA, of which there is a great deal. In terms of both land area and population, it exceeds those of the USA.

Thanks, Keith

PS - I would suggest that you remove the spaces between the bulletted points. The bullets themselves create sufficient "spacing" between individual points. That's their job.

Edited translation sentence.

Took out the spaces - they were actually caused when I pasted the whole thing in.

• Upvote 1
On 3/5/2020 at 3:00 PM, jhuoni said:
  • The LFP is small, so it cannot stock the quantity and variety other food pantries can. For this reason, it should not be relied on for meeting pervasive need.
  • Many food pantries require application before use and have set hours of operation. Anyone may access the LFP at any time.
  • Food pantries operate as service providers, those who use them as clients. The LFP dissolves that professional boundary. Whether stocking or taking stock, everyone approaches the LFP the same way, mediating the shame that accompanies need.
  • Food pantries are critical in addressing food insecurity. But some fall through the cracks. The LFP is a safety net.
  • The LFP is a proving ground, testing concepts like community, charity, justice, and sharing economy.

Some small suggestions for you, John

mediating the shame that accompanies need.

ameliorating the shame that accompanies need. - this seems to better express your inferred intent.

Food pantries operate as service providers, those who use them as clients.

Food pantries operate as service providers to those who use them as clients.

Food pantries operate as service providers, those who use them as clients. The LFP dissolves that professional boundary. Whether stocking or taking stock, everyone approaches the LFP the same way, mediating the shame that accompanies need.

Here, I'm not certain what you're trying to say.  I don't understand the "professional boundary" to which you refer. I think I may have an inkling of what you intend here, but don't quite grasp it.

Thanks, Keith

2 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

Some small suggestions for you, John

mediating the shame that accompanies need.

ameliorating the shame that accompanies need. - this seems to better express your inferred intent.

Food pantries operate as service providers, those who use them as clients.

Food pantries operate as service providers to those who use them as clients.

Food pantries operate as service providers, those who use them as clients. The LFP dissolves that professional boundary. Whether stocking or taking stock, everyone approaches the LFP the same way, mediating the shame that accompanies need.

Here, I'm not certain what you're trying to say.  I don't understand the "professional boundary" to which you refer. I think I may have an inkling of what you intend here, but don't quite grasp it.

Thanks, Keith

Uh, I copied that from their site.  :unsure:

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

On the category page, maybe the quote from the LFP site should be attributed to the source. 

Done.  

The preceding is from the Little Free Pantry website: (littlefreepantry.org)

How does the Little Free Pantry differ from other food pantries? .......

21 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Just wondering if the "preceding" is correctly placed, since it seems that the words following it are what's taken from the LFP website? Maybe?

You are correct, the word should be "FOLLOWING". We will have to fix that one if it goes forward.  

Thanks 

Yep - it was in the tiny park at the foot of Spokane Street, just below 1st Avenue. (Rossland)

Long term memory still functioning to some extent :) - short term memory, substantially less so. :(

BTW - I think I just got your Avatar!!!!!

Keith

PS - If you can't find pix I may have them - who knows?

Edited by ScroogieII
21 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

Yep - it was in the tiny park at the foot of Spokane Street, just below 1st Avenue. (Rossland)

Yep, it is still there. Barely could see the tip of the roof above all the snow. The road crew must push all the snow into this park. Downtown is clear, Hwy to Rossland is clear. It will be May before enough snow melts to actually take pictures. BTW: the park is on Spokane.

From 12/6/19 in another message thread:

After going through all 524 entries in Permanent Charity Donation Locations,  I see three different types of waymarks:

Donation Bins

Storefronts

Recycling Stations

The category description  reads: "Permanent locations used to collect clothing, household goods, non-perishable food, and other items for charity."  

None of the waymarks I see have anything to do with food donations.  Most of them are donations to organizations which resell the items to benefit their mission.  

These are not Little Free Librairies by any means.

The Little Free Pantry organization has a website http://www.littlefreepantry.org 

Where I live, Galveston County, Texas, there are several of these locations.  

These are 24 hour, anonymous  food banks.  Used by people in need when they do not have access to the other resources .   Two that I see on a frequent basis are stocked solely by community donation, with no affiliation to any business or church.  

If these should be considered Permanent Charity Donation Locations then Little Free Libraries should be in the same category as Libraries.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to thank everyone for their input and attention to this.

I know that we all have a lot of other things that are more important these days.

With so much uncertainty in the world, Waymarking is probably the last thing on your mind.  

Be safe and stay well

John 

Freedges are also accepted in this category.

Freedges (Community Refrigerators)

Freedge is a sharing mechanism aiming to reduce food waste and build a stronger community. We promote the installation of community fridges (public refrigerators) that are used to share food and ideas at the neighborhood level.

GIVE
Leaving for the weekend with a full fridge? … OR Too many leftovers after a dinner party? … OR Your garden is full of fruits and veggies and you don’t know what to do with all that produce?

TAKE
Feeling Hungry? Check the freedge… OR Planning a grocery run? Maybe the ingredient you need is there waiting for you.

Get involved in your community! Freedge is a free sharing space used not only for food, but also stories, art and ideas!

Freedge Locations.

Argentina 4 
Belgium 2 
Brazil 59 
Canada 11 
Columbia 1 
Egypt 1 
France 2 
India 1 
Lebanon 2 
Slovakia 2 
US 14

1 hour ago, jhuoni said:

Leaving for the weekend with a full fridge? … OR Too many leftovers after a dinner party?

What does this mean exactly?

Someone made too much spaghetti and meatballs, so they leave it off in one of these Freedges (Community Refrigerators).

No thanks, who made it, who touched it, who may have sampled it or even worse contaminated with no telling what: COVID-19.

• Upvote 1
On 3/18/2020 at 4:20 PM, jhuoni said:

The category description  reads: "Permanent locations used to collect clothing, household goods, non-perishable food, and other items for charity."  

Interesting

1. Blessing Box and Little Free Library - Bloomingdale, Indiana - USA

(Permanent Charity Donation Locations)

2. Blessing Box and Little Free Library - Bloomingdale, Indiana - USA

(Free Community Book Exchanges)

Too late now, however this is just too coincidental to pass up. 

Will the leader of the group allow the first example to be cross posted in Little Free Pantry

I wonder...

On 3/18/2020 at 4:20 PM, jhuoni said:

If these should be considered Permanent Charity Donation Locations then Little Free Libraries should be in the same category as Libraries.

Following your logic the second example should go in Libraries.

Edited by T0SHEA

"How long will this map be available"

"This map is a temporary resource that we will update daily, Monday – Friday, as long as necessary. It does not replace our standard world map which is always available on our website here."

We will have to see where this goes.  I would hate to think that every library would switch over to a pantry - both serve different needs of the people.

This is an interesting case.  Imho I think that a small library with an integrated free pantry should be accepted in both cat's. If I take for instance the Eiffel Tower, that one fits in 10 cat's. 

The purpose of this cat is to Waymark little free pantries. When a little free pantry is combined with books, then there is still the feature of the pantry in it.  So, I would say welcome in both cat's as long as the requirements for posting are met.

On a short walk the other day, we came across 2 LFL's, both official with numbers and the LFL plaque and all.  I'll check and see if they are already listed, and then visit or waymark them soon when I am prepared to get coordinates and take photos and all that.

One had books all individually wrapped in cellophane, said they had been sanitized, and said to take one if we wanted to , but please don't leave any during this time of COVID.

The other had books on the top shelf and canned goods, boxes of pasta, etc on the the bottom shelf, so a combination box.  I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable taking food items from a place like a LFP - the idea sounds good, in theory, but how long have they been there, and it just seems weird to have food out there like that.  Just me and my opinion, and I realize there are some who are grateful for a little bit of food provided.

• Surprised 2
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

Officers of this category: it is way past time for a hostile takeover. An officer and his imaginary friend are retroactively declining waymarks in retaliation for an officer doing exactly what he's supposed to do. You have got to get your group under control. 

Apparently what is happening already for the category "Historic Upping Stones, Hitching Posts, and Carriage Blocks", it becomes recurring. Too bad.

On 2/27/2021 at 9:33 AM, Max and 99 said:

I have confidence that wayfrog will take care of it when he's back. He said this will not be allowed to happen again. I see only one course of action to fix this. 

Unfortunately, I don't.

Though I like The Wayfroggie as a person and admire him for his dedication to Waymarking, I continue to believe that he should have taken a more positive line of action with regard to the insurgence of an individual who has quite plainly embarked on a campaign of anarchism.

All the regulars here are aware of the individual in question and the fact that he has created and maintains "strawman" characters through which he has created and maintained categories. To my knowledge, it remains without the rules and regulations of Waymarking and ground speak that an individual should create or maintain more than a single account with which to post Waymarks.

In fact, following what I suspect was a request from the person in question, The Wayfroggie asked me if I might be posting from a "strawman" account in the latter stages of 2019 [which I wasn't].

I still have faith in The Wayfroggie's ability to properly deal with the subject at hand, eventually, but I also appreciate that his position is a difficult one, to some extent.

For example, how does one prove that an account is a "strawman", or duplicate, account?

For myself, I wish that Waymarking were a wholly democratic entity, in which the membership, through a vote, could expunge an individual from, not only a category, but the community.

I know. That sounds a bit "over the edge". It was just a thought.

Keith

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 2
  • Love 1

I have had enough.  I realize that wayfrog is busy.  Even so, if Individual 1 is not gone for good by the end of April, I will be gone for good from this forum.  Because the new improved forum no longer works on my device of choice, leaving for good will be simple.

• Funny 1
On 3/12/2021 at 5:51 PM, elyob said:

I have had enough.  I realize that wayfrog is busy.  Even so, if Individual 1 is not gone for good by the end of April, I will be gone for good from this forum.  Because the new improved forum no longer works on my device of choice, leaving for good will be simple.

That's right, go away and let the bad guy win. You obviously have other devices.

Keith

• Surprised 1
On 4/1/2020 at 2:59 PM, Max and 99 said:

Are you taking part in this trend? If so, please consider filling out this form to add your location to our new sharing-box map!

Add a Location to Our Sharing Box Map Now
Please note that your sharing box does not need to be registered with a charter sign to be included on the sharing-box map.

Not paying strict attention to this thread, I just now became aware of this post.

The trend noted is an admirable one. Kudos from here to all involved!

One day we may even have a "Sharing Box" in my town. Heck, there may be one here already - I don't ALWAYS get to EVERY street in the town EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Keith

On 3/14/2021 at 7:34 PM, ScroogieII said:

That's right, go away and let the bad guy win. You obviously have other devices.

Keith

Bad guys always win, no?  It might be time to find myself a nice quiet corner of the Waymarking sphere, if I continue at all.  One can only take so much negative stuff.  Having just lost my geoSchnauzer who was born the same week that I started to play outdoors with a GPSr, my attitude needs some adjusting.