Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
on4bam

NWT/Yukon?

We're planning ahead... We're looking into the possibility of spending our 2021 in Canada making a tour starting in Edmonton, AB. It looks like many highways are paved but highway 7, which is a logical route towards Yellowknife is unpaved it seems. One way rentals between Edmonton and Yellowknife seem to be very expensive and on all sites we checked we got "no cars are available".

We have a few options from Edmonton to Dawson City (and back via Hyder, where we have been before) and Edmonton to Yellowknife (and back via an other route)

Questions for you locals:

Is our info that hwy 7 is unpaved correct?

Major car rental companies don't allow driving on unpaved roads (even with SUV/4x4). Are there companies that do allow driving those roads? We're not planning any "off-roading" just ordinary official roads.

Other hints and tips are welcome (We have been in Canada before, twice BC, once AB, NF, PEI, NS but we're fans of the North).

I'm not from that part of Canada, so I can't say what the state of that road is, but I can at least say that I had never heard of a car rental company that doesn't allow driving on unpaved roads!  There are a lot of gravel and dirt roads in Canada. I live on one, and it is only 20 minutes from downtown Ottawa...

To be fair, half the year my street is covered in snow, so no one would even know if it was paved or not ;)

57 minutes ago, The red-haired witch said:

but I can at least say that I had never heard of a car rental company that doesn't allow driving on unpaved roads

Most do. We have been renting cars for 35 years and almost all co's in different countries forbid driving on unpaved roads. Many don't allow their cars on ferries either. With more co's having GPS tracking it's too high a risk to drive where it's not allowed.

This is what Avis says (but others are about the same):

14. Prohibited Use of the Car. Certain uses of the car and other actions you or a driver may take, or fail to take, will violate the Rental Agreement. A VIOLATION OF THIS PARAGRAPH, WILL AUTOMATICALLY TERMINATE YOUR RENTAL AND IS AN EXCLUSION TO AND VOIDS ALL LIABILITY PROTECTION AND ANY OPTIONAL SERVICES THAT YOU HAVE ACCEPTED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO SUPPLEMENTAL LIABILITY INSURANCE, PERSONAL ACCIDENT INSURANCE, PERSONAL EFFECTS INSURANCE, ANY ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE PLAN, EMERGENCY SICKNESS PROTECTION AND LOSS DAMAGE WAIVER (LDW) OR PARTIAL DAMAGE WAIVER. IT ALSO MAKES YOU LIABLE TO US FOR ALL PENALTIES, FINES, FORFEITURES, LIENS AND RECOVERY AND STORAGE COSTS, INCLUDING ALL RELATED ATTORNEYS' FEES, LEGAL EXPENSES, FEES AND COSTS THAT WE MAY INCUR. It is a violation of this Paragraph if any of the following occurs:

You use or permit the car to be used: 1) by anyone other than an authorized driver, as defined in paragraph 5; 2) to carry passengers or property for hire or more passengers than the car has seat belts to carry; 3) to tow or push anything; 4) to be operated in a test, race or contest or on unpaved roads;

Edited by on4bam

Yes, it's different everywhere. We took a ferry to Vancouver Island with our rental car (from Seattle). Also took the car on the inside passage once (the one that sank a few months later :o )

In New Zealand just 1 company allowed us to take the car from the S. Island to N. Island. Other companies required to leave the car at one end and pick up another on the other side.