what I Do and what I did

Jayeffel

This morning when I started I  had in my inventory ten TBs, yea too many but I have been finding caches too small.  Anyway,  I normally find a cache and log it in on the app, then later when home edit it and add info and using the drop down menu visits all TBs, or drop as it occurs.

Today I found 10 caches, logging finds as mentioned above. Was going to take care of TBs us usual.  But for some reason on the ninth cache there was a container big enough so I dropped three TBs. And I logged them in the app as dropped/ Then found the tenth cache and logged a find.

When I got home I f realized the first eight caches may not have the choice of visiting those three TBs, the system knew the to be dropped. So to show them. as visited I went to number nine cache and under Trackables went to each log and deleted the "dropped". Then I went back to each cache log in order to do my usual edit.

Under TBs the drop down menu showed all but those threeTBs ,all I could do was visit the other seven TBs in the first eight caches. I went back to number nine cache and hoped they showed up and not be lost in I messed up land somewhere. They did show up, all three listed in that cache's inventory. It looks like all is okay, I just I cannot visit them to the other eight cache's found before. If it is okay I am not going to mess with anything. I guess I should either have visited them all as I went , then dropped them. Or waited until I got home to do anything.

Okay all that to ask a question.  If I deleted the dropped TB logs how do they show in the inventory of that cache? Did the Delete not go through ( hopefully), or is the system set up so that action will show up later? 

I guess I should have done what I usually do, stay with plan that works! I think all is okay  just cannot visit them to the other caches, which is no big deal.

Now to find a large enough caches for the other TBs.

Curious...why the desire to be sure caches were visited ?   There's no requirement to "visit" caches once they're in your possession.    

Seems you may be burdening yourself with actions not really needed.  Relax and get a better grasp of the basics of the hobby first.   :)

If you delete a log, the action disappears. 

Rather than make matters more difficult for you, I feel it may be easier to just forget about them, and let someone else correct them (if there is an error...) when they find them.

I could only find three trackables in your possession, so not sure what you're referring with totals...

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Jayeffel said:

If I deleted the dropped TB logs how do they show in the inventory of that cache? Did the Delete not go through ( hopefully), or is the system set up so that action will show up later? 

6 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

If you delete a log, the action disappears.

As Cerberus says, the action might ‘disappear’, but deleting the log does not undo the action.  The only way to get a trackable back into your inventory is to re-retrieve it.

My MO:

1. I don't dip trackables into every cache I visit, but I do like to mark significant steps on a journey.  (First cache in a new area, etc.) 

2. I tend to do most of my logging at home, but I do try to log trackable drops more quickly (particularly if I know I’ll not be logging the caches for a few days or more).

Unfortunately these two can conflict, so some trackables may miss out on a more interesting route and a bit of mileage.

Edited by IceColdUK
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 2

It looks by what I see under my TB inventory and the inventory of the cache I dropped them all is as it should be.

But under the individual TBs  I  dropped in the affected cache the history shows "seen in the cache" does not say "dropped". I don't need it back in my inventory as such, just like the retrieve-drop- retrieve - drop cycle to show up. 

3 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

My MO:

1. I don't dip trackables into every cache I visit, but I do like to mark significant steps on a journey.  (First cache in a new area, etc.) 

2. I tend to do most of my logging at home, but I do try to log trackable drops more quickly (particularly if I know I’ll not be logging the caches for a few days or more).

^^^THIS!

If the TB's in question are showing up in the inventory of the cache where you dropped them (even if the "Drop" log is missing) then all is well.  You can leave a note on the cache page with or without the TB code.  Someone may notice it is there without a drop and log a drop to "correct" the journey, or not. Someone may retrieve it and log that properly so the journey continues.  You can be as meticulous as you want while the TB's are in your possession, but once you drop them, you can't control what the next cacher does with them!

I've picked up TB's that were NOT listed in the inventory, and were showing in a cache miles away, from months prior - I just grabbed it from wherever it said it was, dropped it in the correct cache, and then retrieved it for MY inventory.  I always look at some of the current logs to see where it's been and try to correct anything that seems amiss.  Not all cachers are as conscientious, and there are some things you can't fix, so notes as to what really is happening help for those that actually want to read the history of that TB. (Like the TO!)

So, if the TB's are listed in the inventory of the cache where you left them, it's all good.  If they are listed somewhere else, and if you still have the code, you can re-log the drop in the correct cache.  Then move on - we've all made mistakes with logging these travelers, and in the grand scheme of things, it really is a minor thing!  Someone will get the record back on track (sooner or later, hopefully) and life goes on.

Cache on!!

Just two comments to make on this:

Reemphasize that Deleting a TB log does NOT undo the action.

I much prefer that my TBs NOT have dozens, even hundreds of Visit/Took it to logs and I do NOT treat others that way either.  A Visit a day, or a Visit in each new area, is all I want and all I log.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1