Stuck on a puzzle - is there help available?

gameoftheirlives

Forums for working on puzzles can become problematic spoiler... as the magic of Google can effectively ruin the puzzle for anyone else who is looking for the same GC code :-)

Admittedly there are already (regrettably) many puzzle spoiler resources out there — it’s typically something I encourage people to ask other cachers in their local group or community.

Let’s face it.. once someone posts in a forum, it’s pretty much going to be obvious to a CO that someone might have had “help” — so I typically go with the “ask the CO for a hint” route anyway!

There are likely to be experienced puzzlers in your local group or region; I’d probably ask there for a hint - or check local events to see who may have run/be running a puzzle workshop. 

• Helpful 1
7 minutes ago, gameoftheirlives said:

I am working on a puzzle cache. I would rather not ask the CO for a hint because I would like to say that I figured it out on my own. Is there a forum to discuss puzzles? 

The CO should be your first stop to ask for a hint. What reason is there that you want to lie about solving the puzzle yourself?

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
34 minutes ago, gameoftheirlives said:

I am working on a puzzle cache. I would rather not ask the CO for a hint because I would like to say that I figured it out on my own. Is there a forum to discuss puzzles? 

Am I reading this right ... you want someone, but not the C.O., to help you solve the puzzle so that you can tell everyone (presumably in your found it log) that you solved it on your own ?

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

Well, excuse me! I have no intention of cheating! I'm not asking for the solution to the puzzle. I have used a ROT 13 and have solved part of the puzzle. I have looked at the second part upwards, downwards and sideways to no avail and it is driving me crazy. I thought that if I could ask some questions about the possibilities available to solve that second part, it would free me to continue to solve. 

Thank you Cache Shadow. I really thought there would be a forum for puzzle discussion but now I see why there is not.

I would like to end this discussion now. 

5 hours ago, gameoftheirlives said:

Well, excuse me! I have no intention of cheating! I'm not asking for the solution to the puzzle.

No one said you were cheating, but why lie to the CO that you solved the puzzle yourself if someone helped you? The times I got stuck on a puzzle I asked the CO as he/she is best placed to help out.

No one is going to think less of you when you ask for help but someone who knows you got help and later claimed you solved the puzzle yourself might think otherwise.

On 3/4/2020 at 7:07 AM, on4bam said:

The CO should be your first stop to ask for a hint.

+1

Ask the CO.  Part of the fun of a Puzzle is, you may have to figure it out, including figuring out where to start :cute:.  So the CO may opt to give no hints.  Many puzzles are super easy, you just need to look at it the right way, and a "hint" ruins the whole thing.  Other puzzles are the CO's challenge to you to solve.

But if you ask, be sure to say how much of a "hint" you need.  I've been told that some people only want a "nudge", but 110% of the people who ask me, want the Smilie.  The whole she-bang.  The ball of wax.  On a silver platter.  So just, you know, be clear about what you want.