Editing a "Found" log from a new member

HunterandSamuel

A new basic member (March 1st 2020) found 5 of our non premium caches. In several of the logs she described exactly where the cache is hidden. lol I would like to edit her logs but not delete them. Just delete the cache location in her logs.  Is this possible? She did this on another hide belonging to a cache friend so I know it's just someone who doesn't know to not give away the exact hidden location of caches. It's obvious she is trying to be helpful. If I can't edit her logs I'll message her and gently let her know the ropes of the sport. 

When this happens to me (someone described exactly where the cache is hidden in their "Found IT" log), I send them a private message asking them to change their log. This is usually enough to get people to change what they have said. If they dont change the log you always have the option to delete but this should be avoided if possible. As far as I know there is no way for a CO to edit a Found It log of another person.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

Very small directly on the fence third fence into your left

Well, that is a spoiler - and there are more. You have to do something that is for sure.

What you can do: use "edit log" and than "permanently encrypt" (small red lock icon in the upper right). This makes the logs rot13 decrypted.

What you cannot do: delete parts from logs. Only the loggers can do this. You can do everything or nothing.

What I would do: decrypt the log at first (or leave it as I don't find spoilers too bad at difficulty 1 caches) and contact the cacher. Inform her about logging. If noone does she will continue that way and obvisously that's not how logging is meant.

Stey calm and gently but from your first post I am sure you will! :-)

Edited by frostengel
mixed up permanently decrypt/encrypt :-)
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

I email and message them to let them know that their logs are spoilers (and define it if they're new) and could they please edit their logs to remove any mention of the spoilers they have included.  I also let them know (if they're new) that I'm happy to help them figure out how to edit their logs, step by step.  COs don't have the ability to edit logs, only encrypt or delete.  If they don't get back to me, then I will delete the log about a week later.  I don't really have that many finds that are found more than once a week so I find that time frame to work for me.  Yours may vary.  For the most part, the finders end up editing their log or deleting it and filing a new one without the spoilers.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, DARKSIDEDAN said:

When this happens to me (someone described exactly where the cache is hidden in their "Found IT" log), I send them a private message asking them to change their log. This is usually enough to get people to change what they have said. If they dont change the log you always have the option to delete but this should be avoided if possible. As far as I know there is no way for a CO to edit a Found It log of another person.

Thanks. I'll message her a welcome to geocaching and then explain that we aren't suppose to give away the exact location in our logs. Its part of the fun of finding a cache! 

3 hours ago, frostengel said:

Well, that is a spoiler - and there are more. You have to do something that is for sure.

What you can do: use "edit log" and than "permanently encrypt" (small red lock icon in the upper right). This makes the logs rot13 decrypted.

What you cannot do: delete parts from logs. Only the loggers can do this. You can do everything or nothing.

What I would do: decrypt the log at first (or leave it as I don't find spoilers too bad at difficulty 1 caches) and contact the cacher. Inform her about logging. If noone does she will continue that way and obvisously that's not how logging is meant.

Stey calm and gently but from your first post I am sure you will! :-)

Great advice, thanks! I'll try the encrypt option. Never knew it was there!

2 hours ago, coachstahly said:

I email and message them to let them know that their logs are spoilers (and define it if they're new) and could they please edit their logs to remove any mention of the spoilers they have included.  I also let them know (if they're new) that I'm happy to help them figure out how to edit their logs, step by step.  COs don't have the ability to edit logs, only encrypt or delete.  If they don't get back to me, then I will delete the log about a week later.  I don't really have that many finds that are found more than once a week so I find that time frame to work for me.  Yours may vary.  For the most part, the finders end up editing their log or deleting it and filing a new one without the spoilers.

Thanks! I'll message her and if she doesn't change her log description after a week, then use the encrypt option. You all gave great advice. It is so appreciated! 

• Love 1

I'd email the new cacher, explain what a "spoiler" is, and give them a couple days to a week to fix their log.   

- Pics I delete right away and mail 'em why.

I wouldn't encrypt it, as I feel that brings more attention to a log with those who'd rarely read them otherwise.    :)

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, HunterandSamuel said:

It's obvious she is trying to be helpful. If I can't edit her logs I'll message her and gently let her know the ropes of the sport. 

When I started Geocaching, I posted only "TFTC" on my first 5 caches.  It was what I saw most often in other logs.  I didn't even realize that my "log" is something I'm telling the Geocaching Community, nor that people would want to read my caching experience.  A little while later, I changed all logs to be more log-like.

But I resisted telling exactly where the container is hidden.  People just starting out have typed a lot of logs like that on my caches.  "In the tree stump!" or whatever.  Really?  That's all you wanna say about the cache?  I've never deleted one of those, nor asked people to delete/edit them (look at responses just in the Forums here, you know you need to walk on eggshells if you correct someone.  Not everycacher is... mentally stable).  But it's a good idea if everyone knows that the default log can say pretty much anything except giving away the hide style.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1