Wow!

Kiersolvd

Looks like another instance of a code share nightmare. The TB is probably still missing. It's 99% likely related to the facebook group that's publishing trackable codes freely for people to discover.  This has to stop...

ETA: 2007, dropped in a cache, discovered 4 days later. Suddenly shows up 13 years later "at the beethoven mega" (likely a bulk discover log posted by the user from whatever list of TBs they picked up by photo at the event, if it was even from the event).

Alternatively: Someone took it from the cache in 2007 or since, kept it for themselves and it got added to a collection that somehow remained out of sight for 13 years until the Beethoven mega...

Edited by thebruce0
  • Upvote 1

My first thought was to start deleting but then...    We have a trackable that went missing in 2015 and two years later it gets a load of Discover logs in Europe.  Tons of Discover logs.   Turns out that it actually was there. 

I wrote to some of the discoverers and they said they actually saw it and one even sent a photo.  It is still stuck in Europe and I'm trying to get it back to the US to complete its goal but it appears to be the real TB. 

It would certainly be interesting to see if it is the original TB, or something given the TB code.  TB revivals happen often, being revived with a new object hosting the same code, so it can continue the mission if it was once lost.  If it is, then that's great. Especially if its owner knows.

I'm still skeptical that everything's on the up and up though :P

23 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

It would certainly be interesting to see if it is the original TB, or something given the TB code.  TB revivals happen often, being revived with a new object hosting the same code, so it can continue the mission if it was once lost.  If it is, then that's great. Especially if its owner knows.

I'm still skeptical that everything's on the up and up though :P

When I discover a long-lost TB, I leave no doubt I found it, I post actual pictures and the story (no Tracking Code in view of course), not unlike most any that I "Discover".  If only the tag remains or if the attachment has changed, I might reach out to the TB Owner to ask if that's what he wants.  But it's not "Thanks For The Stat" for me.  It's gotta be the real deal. 

It does create some serious brow-beating at an Event's TB Table.  "Whatcha wasting time here for?  There's a page of tracking numbers right there, take a copy home." :ph34r:

9 minutes ago, kunarion said:

It does create some serious brow-beating at an Event's TB Table.  "Whatcha wasting time here for?  There's a page of tracking numbers right there, take a copy home." 

Yup. When there's a table of TBs laid out, including a sheet with all the codes, I explicitly avoid the list. I don't know what's on that list. I will individually check out the TBs and record the ones I'd like to actually discover. That to me only makes sense and it's the most rewarding.

1 hour ago, kunarion said:

I post actual pictures and the story (no Tracking Code in view of course), not unlike most any that I "Discover". 

That might be a way to stop (or slow down) the problem... To log a discover you must include a photo.

• Upvote 1

I'd be for that, only problem is it would effectively force the TO to do a whole lot more policing of photo content if they want to ensure the TB code isn't visible =/

And you might get people who want to discover without a photo, and just post random pics. Kind of like find logs with "." or "tftc" but in pic form...

Edited by thebruce0
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

When there's a table of TBs laid out, including a sheet with all the codes, I explicitly avoid the list.

I don't know what's on that list. I will individually check out the TBs and record the ones I'd like to actually discover.

That to me only makes sense and it's the most rewarding.

There's been more than a couple events the other 2/3rds was uncomfortable, when I asked the person passing lists if they all belong to him.    :D

The outcome depends on areas,  though usually there's a bunch who at least realize what's being said.

- But those same people wouldn't bat an eye if that same person dumped a box full of other-people's-property  trackables they've been lugging to events for months in a huge pile on a table...

1 hour ago, L0ne.R said:

That might be a way to stop (or slow down) the problem... To log a discover you must include a photo.

I have a hard time flawlessly conveying that information, even in this Forum.  I’ll say, “Post a picture of it...” [caveats ensue].  Don’t post this or that, do post this and this.  Sometimes trying to get them to do it right is like herding cats.  It becomes quite... difficult... at times.

Its great if people will consider posting some evidence that the TB is actually being held/seen.  But if it is dropped by one cacher and retrieved by another, I don’t need a picture.  It likely is truly back in play.  Grabbed and held forever by one guy, or Thanked from Germany, not so much. :)

Edited by kunarion
5 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

But those same people wouldn't bat an eye if that same person dumped a box full of other-people's-property  trackables they've been lugging to events for months in a huge pile on a table...

I'm fine with discovering TBs that are 'dumped on a table' even if questionably 'held' by their current holder - they're physical there, and if I hold them and want to discover them, then I know my log is 1st hand legit (how it got there isn't relevant to me - that's between the TO and the current holder). I don't want to discover a code, I want to discover the TB using its code. For me, the issue with the paper lists is both of the above - it's a code, not the TB, and I don't have 1st hand verification of what I'm discovering. That can lead to misleading logs. (such as in the OP if the code was on a sheet and the TB wasn't actually there, or if the code was added to some object that's not the lost original TB sent by the owner, etc).

Obviously there's also no guarantee that what I hold in my hand IS the TB as in its original (or latest TO-'approved') state, but at least that's the best I can do for legitimacy, both for the TO and for myself. I vastly prefer that TB ethic than the bulk-logging of codes, in any manner.

• Upvote 2