Novice puzzle cacher,please help!

Roosterraw

Can anyone please help me with cache GC7Z51G. It is my first puzzle cache I have tried to solve,having already gone over the text and got the hidden info I have a few sums but think am going about it all wrong! I have asked the owner of the cache ,who helped get me started,but would appreciate some help from fellow geocachers! 

Thanks in advance

25 minutes ago, Roosterraw said:

Can anyone please help me with cache GC7Z51G. It is my first puzzle cache I have tried to solve,having already gone over the text and got the hidden info I have a few sums but think am going about it all wrong! I have asked the owner of the cache ,who helped get me started,but would appreciate some help from fellow geocachers! 

Thanks in advance

First of all, giving hints/solutions on these forums is not allowed.

First stop should be the CO. Ask for a hint

Now, I think you didn't read the whole cache listing and that's where you got stuck. It's all there. ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
2 hours ago, Roosterraw said:

Thanks in advance

As on4bam said, you should ask the Cache Owner for another nudge.  Forum participants are not supposed to publicly work on puzzles with you.  That could spoil a lot of caches.  But if you want help from other cachers, and you might consider attending an Event.  People may have solved it, or at least may help you work it out. 

That one looks like a cool intro to puzzle caches!  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't solve it right away (I have no idea at the moment).  Sometimes I just place a mystifying one at the bottom of the pile and go look at one of the bah-zillion other ones, and come back later :).

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 2

I echo what Kunarion said.

By way of encouragement, I WILL say that this is a good beginner puzzle, without any of the "mind-reading" aspects of more obtuse efforts.

You WILL get this! Please let us know back in this thread when you do! (without posting the solution, of course.)

We're rooting for you.

• Helpful 1

As others have mentioned, according to section 2-D of the geocaching.com terms of use, "You agree not to: [...] xxiii. Publish on our websites the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the geocache owner.” However, here are some general puzzle tips (based in part on a puzzle-solving class event presented by The Rat a while ago):

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes’ jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 37° xx.xxx W 122° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 37xxxxx122xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 37 (or the digits 3 and 7) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 122 (or the digits 1, 2, and 2) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

If you ask the cache owner for a hint, then be sure to mention the approaches you have tried so far, and the results those approaches have yielded. It can also be helpful to work together with others who are trying to solve the same puzzle. Geocaching events are a good place to meet other geocachers; ask around to see if anyone else is trying to solve the same puzzle(s) as you.

Other useful resources include:

Edited by niraD
  • Helpful 5
14 hours ago, niraD said:

As others have mentioned, according to section 2-D of the geocaching.com terms of use, "You agree not to: [...] xxiii. Publish on our websites the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the geocache owner.” However, here are some general puzzle tips (based in part on a puzzle-solving class event presented by The Rat a while ago):

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes’ jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 37° xx.xxx W 122° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 37xxxxx122xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 37 (or the digits 3 and 7) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 122 (or the digits 1, 2, and 2) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

If you ask the cache owner for a hint, then be sure to mention the approaches you have tried so far, and the results those approaches have yielded. It can also be helpful to work together with others who are trying to solve the same puzzle. Geocaching events are a good place to meet other geocachers; ask around to see if anyone else is trying to solve the same puzzle(s) as you.

Other useful resources include:

Thank you for the resources! I'm a newbie to puzzles (I've solved 3 so far) but would love to do a few more and then work on writing my own!

15 minutes ago, mandymk86 said:

Thank you for the resources! I'm a newbie to puzzles (I've solved 3 so far) but would love to do a few more and then work on writing my own!

There's a mass of links on the GGA Forum.  I re-formated a post and edited as many dead links as possible at the time (there are a ton of links!).

One of the active ones is a huge PDF "CODEBOEK" (search there specifically for CODEBOEK) with pictures of various code symbols. All of this could keep people busy solving or creating puzzles for a while!  Too many secrets. :)

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1