Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
kunarion

This Site Uses Cookies, Again?

Recommended Posts

At least every couple of days, I'm accepting "Cookies" all over this site, in the same browsers over and over again.  The cookie bar pops up in the most unexpected places, in browsers with no special settings.  Even with the variety of devices and browsers, I would have thought you would have been done asking by now.  I've never seen a web site that has me "accept cookies" as often as Geocaching.com does.

 

Keep it up and I'll require your company to start sending me some very nice bakery cookies.  Just sayin'.

  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Me too! I've stopped being surprised every time it shows up, 'cuz I know I've accepted on that device before!

Share this post


Link to post

Figuring out how to block cookiebot.com is probably easier than clicking OK all the time, no?  Because Javascript from that site seems to be what generates all those cookie prompts.  And [irony alert], cookiebot probably needs to use a cookie to remember your cookiebot-managed cookie settings.

 

On my PC, I'm in charge of cookie control, via Firefox settings and a firewall rule.  Leaving it in the hands of a Groundspeak-purchased solution to a government mandate doesn't seem to be as trouble-free.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, kunarion said:

At least every couple of days, I'm accepting "Cookies" all over this site, in the same browsers over and over again.  The cookie bar pops up in the most unexpected places, in browsers with no special settings.  Even with the variety of devices and browsers, I would have thought you would have been done asking by now.  I've never seen a web site that has me "accept cookies" as often as Geocaching.com does.

I can not confirm that. The request comes to me only when I delete cookies, because then the cookie with my answer is gone again. This cookie is one of the necessary cookies for the operation of the site.
As long as I don't delete the cookies, I won't be asked again. If I neglect my tests, I have only been asked once per device.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, 2Abendsegler said:

I can not confirm that. The request comes to me only when I delete cookies, because then the cookie with my answer is gone again. This cookie is one of the necessary cookies for the operation of the site.
As long as I don't delete the cookies, I won't be asked again. If I neglect my tests, I have only been asked once per device.

 

Yeah, it's possible that I'm doing it wrong.  Site-specifically doing it wrong.  If I figure out how that happened, I'll post the info.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Figuring out how to block cookiebot.com is probably easier than clicking OK all the time, no?  Because Javascript from that site seems to be what generates all those cookie prompts.  And [irony alert], cookiebot probably needs to use a cookie to remember your cookiebot-managed cookie settings.

 

On my PC, I'm in charge of cookie control, via Firefox settings and a firewall rule.  Leaving it in the hands of a Groundspeak-purchased solution to a government mandate doesn't seem to be as trouble-free.

 

I do a few things to avoid the major issues that I see around here. Such as not relying on “phone Apps” for any important Caching thing (um, don't tell anyone I said that! :blink:). But for the most part, I go light on the Blocking Of Stuff, because when someone comes on here asking, it's usually because they haven't Blocked Stuff, and I'm in a position to address their concerns (it's in view already).

 

I've done no research into mitigating Geocaching.com's pop-up bars.  Just noticed unending wackiness, thought I should mention it.  On that site only.  Sure, every web site has these things now, but once per browser, per device.  It's an IT nightmare for sure, but sometimes it's just a matter of tweaking a timer or something.  Change that 5 to a 7,  and VIOLA!  Anyway, I'm sure it will automagically clear up on its own.  Which will sure beat adding Bots.  Or removing Bots or whatever it is.

 

Edited by kunarion

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, kunarion said:

At least every couple of days, I'm accepting "Cookies" all over this site, in the same browsers over and over again.  The cookie bar pops up in the most unexpected places, in browsers with no special settings.  Even with the variety of devices and browsers, I would have thought you would have been done asking by now.  I've never seen a web site that has me "accept cookies" as often as Geocaching.com does.

 

You haven't blocked the cookie-blocker's cookies, have you? Oh what a tangled web the internet gods have created for their amusement.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

 

You haven't blocked the cookie-blocker's cookies, have you? Oh what a tangled web the internet gods have created for their amusement.

 

I've been pondering that and other scenarios.

 

OK, sure, there is the possibility that I have selected to block cookies so they recur at random days later across every browser on all my devices, for Geocaching.com exclusively. That means I'm working against myself without knowing I'm doing so, and obviously bat-nuts insane. On the plus side, I'm a programming GENIUS!

 

That's cool and all. But it's also likely that I simply have not accurately clicked all 974 places where the cookie bars pop up, and lost track. That doesn't explain why I mentioned them and nobody else really seemed to notice (aside from the replies of "Yes it's definitely a thing" vs. "No it's not a thing at all"). But I'll go with that one, for now. :cute:

 

 

Edited by kunarion
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, kunarion said:

Yeah, it's possible that I'm doing it wrong.  Site-specifically doing it wrong.  If I figure out how that happened, I'll post the info.

Maybe you have set your device's memory optimization so that temporary files are automatically deleted from time to time. Of course, this must also affect other sides. If not ... *ahem* ... 🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post

Hosts file ...

 

0.0.0.0 cookiebot.com

 

Bye bye cookiebot

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3

×
×
  • Create New...