This Site Uses Cookies, Again?

kunarion

At least every couple of days, I'm accepting "Cookies" all over this site, in the same browsers over and over again.  The cookie bar pops up in the most unexpected places, in browsers with no special settings.  Even with the variety of devices and browsers, I would have thought you would have been done asking by now.  I've never seen a web site that has me "accept cookies" as often as Geocaching.com does.

Keep it up and I'll require your company to start sending me some very nice bakery cookies.  Just sayin'.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Figuring out how to block cookiebot.com is probably easier than clicking OK all the time, no?  Because Javascript from that site seems to be what generates all those cookie prompts.  And [irony alert], cookiebot probably needs to use a cookie to remember your cookiebot-managed cookie settings.

On my PC, I'm in charge of cookie control, via Firefox settings and a firewall rule.  Leaving it in the hands of a Groundspeak-purchased solution to a government mandate doesn't seem to be as trouble-free.

2 hours ago, kunarion said:

At least every couple of days, I'm accepting "Cookies" all over this site, in the same browsers over and over again.  The cookie bar pops up in the most unexpected places, in browsers with no special settings.  Even with the variety of devices and browsers, I would have thought you would have been done asking by now.  I've never seen a web site that has me "accept cookies" as often as Geocaching.com does.

I can not confirm that. The request comes to me only when I delete cookies, because then the cookie with my answer is gone again. This cookie is one of the necessary cookies for the operation of the site.
As long as I don't delete the cookies, I won't be asked again. If I neglect my tests, I have only been asked once per device.

1 hour ago, 2Abendsegler said:

I can not confirm that. The request comes to me only when I delete cookies, because then the cookie with my answer is gone again. This cookie is one of the necessary cookies for the operation of the site.
As long as I don't delete the cookies, I won't be asked again. If I neglect my tests, I have only been asked once per device.

Yeah, it's possible that I'm doing it wrong.  Site-specifically doing it wrong.  If I figure out how that happened, I'll post the info.

2 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Figuring out how to block cookiebot.com is probably easier than clicking OK all the time, no?  Because Javascript from that site seems to be what generates all those cookie prompts.  And [irony alert], cookiebot probably needs to use a cookie to remember your cookiebot-managed cookie settings.

On my PC, I'm in charge of cookie control, via Firefox settings and a firewall rule.  Leaving it in the hands of a Groundspeak-purchased solution to a government mandate doesn't seem to be as trouble-free.

I do a few things to avoid the major issues that I see around here. Such as not relying on “phone Apps” for any important Caching thing (um, don't tell anyone I said that! :blink:). But for the most part, I go light on the Blocking Of Stuff, because when someone comes on here asking, it's usually because they haven't Blocked Stuff, and I'm in a position to address their concerns (it's in view already).

I've done no research into mitigating Geocaching.com's pop-up bars.  Just noticed unending wackiness, thought I should mention it.  On that site only.  Sure, every web site has these things now, but once per browser, per device.  It's an IT nightmare for sure, but sometimes it's just a matter of tweaking a timer or something.  Change that 5 to a 7,  and VIOLA!  Anyway, I'm sure it will automagically clear up on its own.  Which will sure beat adding Bots.  Or removing Bots or whatever it is.

Edited by kunarion
5 hours ago, kunarion said:

You haven't blocked the cookie-blocker's cookies, have you? Oh what a tangled web the internet gods have created for their amusement.

41 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

You haven't blocked the cookie-blocker's cookies, have you? Oh what a tangled web the internet gods have created for their amusement.

I've been pondering that and other scenarios.

OK, sure, there is the possibility that I have selected to block cookies so they recur at random days later across every browser on all my devices, for Geocaching.com exclusively. That means I'm working against myself without knowing I'm doing so, and obviously bat-nuts insane. On the plus side, I'm a programming GENIUS!

That's cool and all. But it's also likely that I simply have not accurately clicked all 974 places where the cookie bars pop up, and lost track. That doesn't explain why I mentioned them and nobody else really seemed to notice (aside from the replies of "Yes it's definitely a thing" vs. "No it's not a thing at all"). But I'll go with that one, for now. :cute:

Edited by kunarion
  • Funny 1
10 hours ago, kunarion said:

Yeah, it's possible that I'm doing it wrong.  Site-specifically doing it wrong.  If I figure out how that happened, I'll post the info.

Maybe you have set your device's memory optimization so that temporary files are automatically deleted from time to time. Of course, this must also affect other sides. If not ... *ahem* ... ?‍♂️