Notification not working

pppingme

I have a couple notifications, but one of them seems to have stopped working for no obvious reason. Last one I received was Feb 8th. I can only assume its an email issue between gc and t-mobile.

The specific email address on the notification is {my10digit}@tmomail.net

• Yes, the email address is "validated"
  • Yes, it worked previously
  • No I haven't made any changes
5 hours ago, palmetto said:

Have you seen the Help Center article on this? LINKY

Since this did work up until very recently, its not up to me to track down gc's email issues. Best guess is that they've apparently po'd t-mobile, and they need to provide errors or work with t-mobile to fix it. Silence isn't really a good response on something like this, as they have an immediate and exact issue by simply looking at their logs. My hands are tied until gc takes action.

To take this a step further, I've removed and re-added the email, AND RECEIVED THE VALIDATION, proving that none of the above is the issue. Something is going on with the hand-off between gc and t-mobile, and until gc coughs up some error messages or something, there's nothing that anyone else can do.

Im experiencing this exact same issue. Starting mid February I suddenly started getting error messages instead of text notifications. I also have T-Mobile. I have also deleted and readded my number and reverified with no issue.

Its odd that the verification text worked perfectly but the actual notifications don't work. 

I opened a ticket about 2 weeks ago, no response at all. Opened another today.

On 2/26/2020 at 10:13 PM, pppingme said:

To take this a step further, I've removed and re-added the email, AND RECEIVED THE VALIDATION, proving that none of the above is the issue. Something is going on with the hand-off between gc and t-mobile, and until gc coughs up some error messages or something, there's nothing that anyone else can do.

This has been a pain in my rear as well.  Started in February for me.  I've experienced the same thing you have, exactly.  I tried everything...I changed my notifications back to email and set up a filter to forward the message as a text.  at THAT point I discovered that the email address noreply@geocaching.com was being rejected by the tomail.net server.  I ran other tests to be sure.

Along the way I sent several (3) tickets to our geocaching overlords.  Each time I got the autoreply that they received my help request, and all three times that help request disappeared into the depths of the deathstar...uh...I mean HQ with zero response.  Why is this?

So, today, being that I seem to have a bunch of time on my hands I reached out to T-Mobile directly.  As fate would have it I connected with Colby, and after describing the problem it turns out that he is a lapsed geeocacher!  Awesome, that makes this easier.  After explaining in detail and some tests he tells me that geocaching.com has seemingly been added to a blacklist (see the attached screenshot of the texts).

I await his reply on Monday.

Eric1701

Screenshot_20200408-115853_T-Mobile.jpg

Final Update - 04.16.20

I literally spent HOURS on the phone with T-Mobile and talked to 3 different people along the way.  We did a massive amount of troubleshooting!  Each one of their support people were very nice, and very helpful.  Finally I was escalated to "Highest Priority" and made contact with one of their Network Engineers - Gary.  He called ME when he got the ticket and we went through the issue once again, through all the troubleshooting steps.  Turns out there are TWO problems.... and most of it is technical and way more information than I want or need inside my head (need to reserve that space for those tough cache puzzles).  Bottom line is - The T-Mobile TMOMAIL.NET firewall was blocking the notifications for published caches (not the verification text) due to something in the header or content of the notification (again, too technical for me to remember).  The firewall team reviewed the notifications and altered the firewall rule early this morning.

TEXT NOTIFICATIONS FROM Geocaching.com through T-Mobile are now operational again!!  Whoo hoo!!  You should DELETE any text notifications you already have setup and rebuild it.  be sure that you are using: yourphonenumber@tmomail.net as the address.  Be sure that you MMS messages turned on (does anyone really have that option turned off?).

He DID warn me that T-Mobile (and most other providers) AUTOMATICALLY throttle texts (meaning stop texts from being delivered for several hours) if the network sees 101 or more texts arriving from the same address during a single 10 minute period.  This sounds like you'd never need to worry about it, but it could happen is a large series, or Geoart publishes at the same time in your area.  So keep this in mind.

Hope this helps!

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 3
7 hours ago, Eric1701 said:

Final Update - 04.16.20

I literally spent HOURS on the phone with T-Mobile and talked to 3 different people along the way.  We did a massive amount of troubleshooting!  Each one of their support people were very nice, and very helpful.  Finally I was escalated to "Highest Priority" and made contact with one of their Network Engineers - Gary.  He called ME when he got the ticket and we went through the issue once again, through all the troubleshooting steps.  Turns out there are TWO problems.... and most of it is technical and way more information than I want or need inside my head (need to reserve that space for those tough cache puzzles).  Bottom line is - The T-Mobile TMOMAIL.NET firewall was blocking the notifications for published caches (not the verification text) due to something in the header or content of the notification (again, too technical for me to remember).  The firewall team reviewed the notifications and altered the firewall rule early this morning.

TEXT NOTIFICATIONS FROM Geocaching.com through T-Mobile are now operational again!!  Whoo hoo!!  You should DELETE any text notifications you already have setup and rebuild it.  be sure that you are using: yourphonenumber@tmomail.net as the address.  Be sure that you MMS messages turned on (does anyone really have that option turned off?).

He DID warn me that T-Mobile (and most other providers) AUTOMATICALLY throttle texts (meaning stop texts from being delivered for several hours) if the network sees 101 or more texts arriving from the same address during a single 10 minute period.  This sounds like you'd never need to worry about it, but it could happen is a large series, or Geoart publishes at the same time in your area.  So keep this in mind.

Hope this helps!

Phenomenal work, Eric!

2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Can someone please remind me where I enter this information on my GC account to get  text notifications?

The geocaching site doesn't generate text notifications, only emails. If you want to get text notifications, you have to use an email-to-text service such as the T-mobile one being discussed here.

On 3/20/2020 at 3:45 PM, Eric1701 said:

Im experiencing this exact same issue. Starting mid February I suddenly started getting error messages instead of text notifications. I also have T-Mobile. I have also deleted and readded my number and reverified with no issue.

Its odd that the verification text worked perfectly but the actual notifications don't work. 

I opened a ticket about 2 weeks ago, no response at all. Opened another today.

Can you remind me how to set this up for T-Mobile? Thank you.

I remember doing this many years ago for an old phone.

On 4/16/2020 at 8:27 AM, Eric1701 said:

You should DELETE any text notifications you already have setup and rebuild it.  be sure that you are using: yourphonenumber@tmomail.net as the address. 

In answer to your ? above: 

On 4/16/2020 at 6:31 PM, Max and 99 said:

Can you remind me how to set this up for T-Mobile? Thank you.

IF your cell phone carrier is T-Mobile, set the email notification to send to the email that Eric1701 provided.  Other carriers have their own email that converts to a text message,  you can google or check with your provider to find out the correct email address - typically your 10-digit number followed by @some email address, which is specific for each carrier.  You can test it first by sending an email to your phone number@whatever address and if that works, set up the notification for that email address.

Edited by CAVinoGal