Feature Request - Add to List

thebruce0

This has been mentioned in other topical threads, but I thought I'd start a request specifically to address this:

Can we have the option to include a description when using the "Add to List" link on the cache listing? It's extremely tedious to add it to a list, reload the page, then open the bookmark list, find the cache you just added, then edit it inline to enter the relevant content.

Sure you can pre-open the bookmark list in another tab, but from a base usability standpoint, it would be so much more user friendly to simply provide an input box (even if optionally toggled) to include a relevant description with the add.

Now that the distinct add to list web page is gone, but descriptions are supported in the list itself, this would be a very appreciated addition.

Thanks for considering!

ETA: Even though one can write or use a custom script to simplify the process, having it native would be beneficial to everyone by default (nods to 2Abendsegler)

Edited by thebruce0
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

This has been mentioned in other topical threads, but I thought I'd start a request specifically to address this:

Can we have the option to include a description when using the "Add to List" link on the cache listing? It's extremely tedious to add it to a list, reload the page, then open the bookmark list, find the cache you just added, then edit it inline to enter the relevant content.

Sure you can pre-open the bookmark list in another tab, but from a base usability standpoint, it would be so much more user friendly to simply provide an input box (even if optionally toggled) to include a relevant description with the add.

Now that the distinct add to list web page is gone, but descriptions are supported in the list itself, this would be a very appreciated addition.

Thanks for considering!

That would be such a nice feature!

Your point is so obvious, I can't imagine why someone thought otherwise when they removed the feature. I almost always want to preserve some additional information in the list entry's description. The original implementation was done by someone that wanted a list feature and knew what it had to support to be useful. I can't understand what the people were thinking that eliminated the feature, so I don't know where to begin explaining to them why it should be restored.

Just for the record: the list entry's name could be changed, too. Although not as commonly used, I want to point out that that feature was eliminated by the same changes and is similarly hard to simulate using existing mechanisms.

Yeah, another way to think of it - originally, it was like adding a cache to a list was the medium experience: not super-speedy, but not super-tedious, yet fully functional.  With the update, they added super-speedy but removed some options that pushed fully functional to super-tedious.  The most common use that isn't merely super-speedy could be made just as super-speedy by the re-addition of the description field in the Add popup.