Manage NUVI Icons

colleda

I use Garmin a Nuvi, in each of my two vehicles, for navigating to Parking coords (as well as usual address finding). One is a 2360, the other is a 50LM.

The 50LM screen is now a mass of blue POI icons including geocaches, so much so that roads are almost completely covered and cannot be seen until it starts zooming in as I approach a destination. Is there some way to manage, get rid of or reduce what's shown on the screen?

The 2360 does not have this problem but I would like to get rid of ancient geocache icons that still appear years after their demise.

If the new(er) Nuvi's act like the old ones, you'll have to delete them from the device. The easiest way is to just the delete all feature. If you have personal waypoints that you wish to save, connect to your computer with Basecamp first and save those to your Basecamp database. After deleting all of the waypoints, you can load back the ones you wanted to keep.

If the new(er) Nuvi's act more like a handheld, you can plug into a computer and simply delete them from within Basecamp.

Either way, you will want to also delete the GPX files containing the geocaching waypoints so that they don't repopulate on the Nuvi.

Edited by Mineral2
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

If the new(er) Nuvi's act like the old ones, you'll have to delete them from the device. The easiest way is to just the delete all feature. If you have personal waypoints that you wish to save, connect to your computer with Basecamp first and save those to your Basecamp database. After deleting all of the waypoints, you can load back the ones you wanted to keep.

If the new(er) Nuvi's act more like a handheld, you can plug into a computer and simply delete them from within Basecamp.

Either way, you will want to also delete the GPX files containing the geocaching waypoints so that they don't repopulate on the Nuvi.

Thanks for the reply but I don't use Basecamp. I do use GSAK but at a fairly basic level, enough to load my Garmins, car and handheld.

Basecamp is great at managing waypoints, routes, and tracks. Just not for geocaches.

But Nuvi's have historically operated differently than handhelds in which they'll read data from a GPX file, but then write it to its own place such that removal of the GPX file does not remove the data from the device. Thus, waypoints will import into your nuvi's favorites, but can only be deleted from the device itself. If you have thousands of waypoints stored in your favorites, the easiest way to delete them is to clear all of your favorites, which means backing up your personal waypoint favorites (home, work, friends' and family's houses) so that you don't have to recreate them every time. Basecamp makes backing up data easy.

Edited by Mineral2