JaVaWa help

MonkeyFaceX2

I have bought a new 66st, tried a SD card with a few countries ordnance survey maps on, all worked fine until after I opened JaVaWa and disconnected the device. Booted up the device after looking at JaVaWa 'show maps on basecamp' and now get "Cannot authenticate maps. Contact the map content seller for help."

- Four of the five maps work on the 66st and all work on the 62

My thinking is that the maps were locked to the original device but they were working beforehand on the 66. Or I lost authentication for the Spain map when disconnecting the 66.

This is total user error on my part and was wondering if anyone has experience with this software and maybe able to point me in the right direction please?

I can read the map in Basecamp with the 66st, any ideas please?

Side note - When I open JaVaWa GMTK, I dont see any maps? I am running GMTK as administrator. I can only backup codes in GMTK.

I did not back up the maps before I delved into the software...

Any help will be appreciated,

Thank you

maps.png

map.png

That's correct Mineral. A few years ago though.

I know that some content is tied to a device. But that sd card has been in two different 62st, and briefly worked in the 66st, albeit now the Spanish one does not. Hmm.

I have other Garmin maps on other sd cards all work fine that I use locally. This card I used for keeping other countries on.

I am stumped

Edited by MonkeyFaceX2

If these are Garmin's proprietary maps that you purchased for download, they are locked to the device you first used them with, or at least they are supposed to be. It may have been a fluke that they worked with the 66 when you first transferred the card.

There are some good free maps for Europe that you could use instead.

I am now thinking that too Mineral , could of just been a fluke.

I have downloaded OSM maps once in the past which essentially these maps are. As you know garmin just wrap these maps which are open source with some clever code for rouatble nav and elevation and put a hefty price tag on them.

I guess things might have changed with open source maps now, Ive only used it once for a country with very little mapping, and I suffered for it not knowing the elevation beforehand, but you have spiked my interest to try OSM again, can you guys recommend one with preferably elevation please?

Atlas, I wish it was that easy for me to tell you the info, Ive downloaded the program and drawn a blank, searched online for info, the yield was bare. It looks like you need to have a firm grasp of computer tech for which I am lacking. If you could pm me a link of what I need to do that, would be much appreciated. I did have a look on your Gpsrchive forum regarding JaVawa unfortunately nothing concerning my predicament.  I backed up the maps after the incident on javawa and when I go to restore the it says no maps found in the file. Kinda frustrating.

I cant complain I still have use of the map through the 66 on basecamp and full use on 62, I must say, I am enjoying learning about how the maps work together with the different components and learning of the handheld at the same time too. Its all good learning.

Cheers

Edited by MonkeyFaceX2

Alas, I still haven't found a good OSM topo map that I really like. Contours tend to be drawn in such a way that is aesthetically displeasing, and they don't seem to come at a small enough interval for my detail liking. Nevertheless, you can give https://extract.bbbike.org a try. The map can be downloaded in a number of different display styles, and a transparent contour overlay can be downloaded along with the maps. They'll be two separate layers, though, so  no map and contour data in basecamp.

Brilliant Mineral. I will give that a try tonight/tomorrow and see what I can come up with. The beauty of OSM maps, they don't take up much space and don't cost much if anything so I shall make a few and do a bit of trial and error. Cheers for the suggestion

I have a few questions/niggles with the 66 but I'll read the posts on here again and Gpsrchive first.

Cheers

OK, that took a bit longer than expected...

Its looking good too, I went back and downloaded the latin1 but I must of mixed up my files as it is showing utf-8, I shall redo it tomorrow.

Here are some pictures for anyone who is interested in the difference between OSM, Pro and the Topoactive map that is inbuilt into the device.

I could not get the contour lines to work, I downloaded the STRM world contour lines and put it into the garmin folder, is that correct item and procedure?

I shall try again tomorrow and I expect it to take a lot less time!

Cheers

osm (2) - Copy.png

Pro (2) - Copy.png

Topoactive (2) - Copy.png

I enjoyed doing that, satisfaction for sure 'creating' that map, sure feels good and quite good to look at too. The pictured area is from a quiet area, I probably should of gone to an area where more is going on.

Draws well on the osm map with lots of colour and detail on other parts. So thanks for your advice Mineral.

I still would like to give Atlas the detailed information he wanted from the map file and report back, you might be a relic by then Atlas but I will keep trying different avenues.

Cheers

6 hours ago, MonkeyFaceX2 said:

Atlas, I wish it was that easy for me to tell you the info, Ive downloaded the program and drawn a blank, searched online for info, the yield was bare. It looks like you need to have a firm grasp of computer tech for which I am lacking. If you could pm me a link of what I need to do that, would be much appreciated.

1. Open GMapTool. (Default 'Files' Tab will be active)

2. Drag *.img map file to GMapTool window

3. Select 'Details' button (wait a minute or two or three while map is read)

4. Copy/Past text result to share here

I have since run mutiple sd cards that I puchased with the maps inbuilt into the SD card and ran it through the programe and all state    "priority 20, parameters 1 8 36 33, locked"

where the above maps posted here state     "priority 20, parameters 1 4 10 13, signed" or "priority 20, parameters 1 8 36 33"

Cheers

Roger that Atlas, as you first said, if its UTF-8 you snookered.

The Gmaptool looks like a very powerful tool, in the right hands, I am sure you can do plenty with it.  I will definitely have more of a play with it as well as GMTK in the near future.

Mineral2. I'm super impressed with the bbbike suggestion. The trail and roads have ' turn-by-turn directions' on roads and tracks like the Pro version as well as a searchable database... That was a great surprise. I have not worked out the contour overlay as of yet but that will come in time.

This will probably be old news to quite a few here. If you don't have mapping and just want to know the lay of the land of an area. Have a look on opentopomap.org, it has worldwide contour lines of up to 10m with some relief shading. You may also import a GPX file to see what your route might look like. Looks rather good.

Thanks again

Edited by MonkeyFaceX2

OpenTopoMap is beautiful and I await the day that its full visual style (including 10m contour lines) is made available for garmin GPS. Unfortunately the best I've found for contours is 40m resolution.

Edit: There is a Garmin style available and even worldwide over at extract.bbbike.org. But it doesn't have the same beauty as the web interface. It's not my favorite OSM style to use. The web interface.... that's what I want my Garmin map to look like.

Edit Edit: Ok, part of the beauty is the shaded terrain. That I have from the Garmin Topo100K data, but won't be available in a Garmin GPS without a DEM map. The other part is the orange contour lines. With grey contours, the map looks a bit busy.

Edited by Mineral2
11 hours ago, MonkeyFaceX2 said:

I'm super impressed with the bbbike suggestion. The trail and roads have ' turn-by-turn directions' on roads and tracks like the Pro version as well as a searchable database... That was a great surprise. I have not worked out the contour overlay as of yet but that will come in time.

Please report if you were successful.

Some months ago I also tried in vain to get a transparent overlay from the bbbike contour lines for my Oregon 600. I even contacted the maintainer who could not figure out what I was doing wrong.

I have not managed to fix the issue Hynz, but this is what I found so far.

I too have downloaded the STRM 40m Garmin  world contour lines from bbbike. When I went to bbbike I chose the same area for contours as I did the map. When I open JaVaWa Device manager I first had to rename one of the image files or else it would not let me have both .img files in the Garmin folder. I had to rename one in the device manger first before it would accept the second .img file.

When I had both .img files in the folder I ran it through the device manager again, and it was showing an error. When double clicking on the map name it states: "Error: Segment codes from this file reside in other files. This will cause problems with routing and/ or displaying maps" Ive downloaded the contour lines a few different times with no joy

I know the above is of no help, but it might be the problem we are both experiencing and would be my first line of inquiry? However, I could be barking up the wrong tree. That is as far as I got with the issue, how to proceed I hear you ask? I don't have a clue I'm afraid.

If you do find out or anyone else who might know on how to resolve this issue, I'm all ears.

Cheers

strm (2)_LI.jpg

Edited by MonkeyFaceX2

I wonder if there's been a change in the way either the contour maps or OSM maps are being generated. I had made a set of contours last summer for my region that displayed fine. I downloaded another set of contours for an area of the country I was visiting last month that I couldn't get to load at all (IE that map wasn't an option to turn on/off in my GPS). I had other topo maps, so it wasn't the end of the world, but those maps didn't have the trails I was hiking.

Not doubting you for a second Mineral, I think these maps look great and work as they intend too.

This might be total user error here, well I hope that's the case anyway.

Here might lie the problem (see picture)

On going into JaVaWa Device manager, which I don't fully understand yet hence the OP, Ive seen this. When clicking on the error, the contours .img file are not showing as transparent so that's where the conflict of interest is?

How to download a transparent .img File, I am not sure. I am getting there slowly but surely.

Cheers

transparent.jpg

Not much of an update.

I guess JaVaWa is giving up errors to inform me of duplicate map tiles, rather than being an actual problem?

I know this is not the point, but I can pull up each 'map' IE map and contours independently in Basecamp just not together. So I need to find a source of  a transparent .img provided if there is such a thing to merge with the map?

I tried an experiment with Gmaptool to join the to .img together (I don't have a clue) but that did not work, do back up your files beforehand if you try anything...

All the above is out of my league, so unfortunately, I need to sit on my hands for now.

If anyone with experience or just thoughts can chime in, please do.

Cheers

Edited by MonkeyFaceX2

I'm only referencing to the contours/bbbike issue here.

I only have a basic understanding of JaVaWa and so far I only used it to rename maps and assign different IDs to maps downloaded from garmin.openstreetmap.nl (Lambertus) which by default have the same ID which makes problems when present together on the Garmin.

I don't remember if or how much I used JaVaWa during my attempts with the bbike contours.

I received the confirmation from the maintainer that at least when downloading from bbbike one .img file containing a map and one .img file containing the contours they should work without the need of additional software like JaVaWa and the contours should be transparent.

Later he confirmed that he also had sometimes problems on his Oregon with the visibility of maps but they disappeared without further intervention.

I attempted bbbike to get contours from the USA.

In case you need contours from countries in Europe (I see you are located in the UK) have a look at http://garmin.opentopomap.org/ 

When downloading and extracting the Garmin zip-file you get two .img files. One is the contour file and they work flawless on my Oregon 600.