reactivating archived Cache.

wirebrain1

Who archived it?  You or the reviewer?  If it's the reviewer, there's nothing you can do.  If it was you, then it could, conceivably, be unarchived.  However, I can't think of very many caches that were archived and then unarchived and activated again, with a couple exceptions of some older caches.

Is the area and the hide going to be the same experience you initially had with the archived cache?  If it's different enough then I'd go with the new cache.  If it's very similar, then it's possible option.

Do you want previous finders of the archived cache to be able to find a new cache?  If it was found by most of the local cachers then that means those local cachers will not have the ability to come find it again.

How long ago was it archived?  The longer ago it was, the less likely I would consider it to be activated again (my opinion).  The more recent it was archived, the more likely I'd think about reactivating it.

Are you more interested in keeping a GC number and the placed date rather than the experience of finding the cache? This isn't really a good reason to reactivate an archived cache, again in my opinion.  It seems to me that if you wanted to keep those numbers and dates relevant, it wouldn't have been archived in the first place.

• Helpful 3
17 hours ago, wirebrain1 said:

Is it Possible to reactivate one of my old Archived Caches or should I just start a new one ?

Since you have one archived cache, I presume we're talking about this one, archived by the reviewer.  Normally, reviewer archival due to lack of owner response is the end of the discussion for a given cache

If you have compelling circumstances why you did not respond to your reviewer before he archived it, he might consider a request to un-archive the cache.  I would recommend you have that conversation via email, not in the forums. 

If you don't have a good argument, then I would recommend submitting a new listing.

• Helpful 3

You can see this in the Help Center

Unarchive a geocache

Archiving a geocache is meant to be a permanent action. Only community volunteer reviewers and Geocaching HQ can unarchive caches. This is done only in rare circumstances and only if the cache meets the current geocaching guidelines.

If a cache is archived by a reviewer or staff for lack of maintenance, it will not be unarchived.

If you accidentally archive your cache, contact the reviewer who originally published your cache page or another local reviewer. Make sure to explain why your cache should be unarchived. Provide the GC code.

Usually once you get past a few months, or if the reviewer archived it for possible maintenance issues, the reviewer  wont unarchive it.  you can ask, but I would not get your hopes up. 

• Helpful 3
On 2/23/2020 at 11:50 AM, wirebrain1 said:

Is it Possible to reactivate one of my old Archived Caches or should I just start a new one ?

Looking at the cache in question (the only one of yours that has been archived) it looks to me like your only option will be to place a new one.  I wouldn't fight to have this one unarchived, but you  can duplicate it and place it at a new location with a new GC #.

• Helpful 1
On 2/23/2020 at 2:50 PM, wirebrain1 said:

I would start a new one, even the same one in the same location if you want. That gives cachers another cache to find and a smiley point!  We recently archived a TB hotel because of an increase in traffic that made it dangerous for children to find. We are relocating it to another location. Same cache. Good luck! 

• Helpful 1
On 2/23/2020 at 2:50 PM, wirebrain1 said:

I feel after almost a year of "log wet" in logs before the TD saying it would be fixed ASAP, only to have a Reviewer archive it for you ... that starting a new one might be your best option.  You could call it by it's original name.    :)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, StormyCherokee said:

Why not put a link for you to easily re-activate an archived Geocache.

For the same reason that there isn't just a link to automatically publish your own geocache - reviewers exist to ensure caches comply with the guidelines.

If you read the rest of the thread, you'd see the reasoning for this, including the link to the relevant article in the help center. So I'd start by scrolling up.

One particular issue might be because a newer cache was placed in the area since the original cache was archived, and so the archived cache might no longer be publishable on that spot due to the 528 ft / 0.1 mile / 162 meter rule. Since there's a multi 520 feet from your archived cache, that may be the case in your situation, but your local reviewer will let you know.

Edited by geoawareUSA9
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 4
On 7/22/2022 at 7:15 AM, StormyCherokee said:

I'm sure I'm not alone on this, but why does Geocaching.com make it so difficult for us users to use their system.  Why not put a link for you to easily re-activate an archived Geocache. 

Given how many unarchived listings I've seen get archived a second time because the CO is baffled by the concept of the Enable log, it seems a good reason not to make it easy.

And that's on top of what issue caused the original archival and whether the unarchived listing still meets proximity rules and current guidelines.

Most archived caches should not be unarchived.

• Upvote 4
On 7/22/2022 at 7:15 AM, StormyCherokee said:

I'm sure I'm not alone on this, but why does Geocaching.com make it so difficult for us users to use their system.  Why not put a link for you to easily re-activate an archived Geocache.  It is things like this that have discouraged 100's of thousands of users from playing.  :-(

Really? Not doing your position any favors here.

• Upvote 3