Switching from Mystery to Multi-Cache in Design

Chipper3

I have a 7 stage cache under construction and originally thought it should be Mystery.  Based on advice I received in the forums I am considering switching type to Multi.

When I changed type in the edit mode to Multi, I received a message that if I switch type, I will lose all the stage information.  Ouch!

I am afraid to change the type just to see what happens.   I do have all the info for the stages but would hate to type all that back in, etc.

What has been your experience?

1 hour ago, Chipper3 said:

I have a 7 stage cache under construction and originally thought it should be Mystery.  Based on advice I received in the forums I am considering switching type to Multi.

When I changed type in the edit mode to Multi, I received a message that if I switch type, I will lose all the stage information.  Ouch!

I am afraid to change the type just to see what happens.   I do have all the info for the stages but would hate to type all that back in, etc.

What has been your experience?

Create a new traditional cache for each of the stages first then change the type of the original Mystery?

35 minutes ago, colleda said:
2 hours ago, Chipper3 said:

I do have all the info for the stages but would hate to type all that back in, etc.

Create a new traditional cache for each of the stages first then change the type of the original Mystery?

But then he's still typing all the information in again - for each of the newly created traditionals.  And the stages may not support the placement of a traditional....

I have a Mysery that I realized after publication and comments from finders probably should be a multi.  Changing it now, after it's published, would mean archiving and then republishing as a new cache.  Since you haven't published it yet, other than the inconvenience of re-typing all the stages, it makes sense to me to change the type now, before publication.  YMMV

3 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

But then he's still typing all the information in again - for each of the newly created traditionals.  And the stages may not support the placement of a traditional....

If the stages cannot support placement of a cache, then they are not legal for a multi, either.

You know, there is this thing computers do called "cut and paste."  In fact, it is generally a good idea to use it for all cache hides, not just this kind.  Make a text document that has the waypoints, descriptions, etc.; everything you need to submit the cache.  Spell- and grammar-check it and make sure it is all perfect.  Then, and only then, populate the cache page and submit it.  Keep the text file you made as a reference.

• Helpful 1
18 minutes ago, fizzymagic said:
25 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

If the stages cannot support placement of a cache, then they are not legal for a multi, either.

If the stages are far enough from other caches, but within 528ft/161m of each other, then it is possible that a multi-cache would work in a location where a series of traditionals with a bonus cache would not.

41 minutes ago, niraD said:

If the stages are far enough from other caches, but within 528ft/161m of each other, then it is possible that a multi-cache would work in a location where a series of traditionals with a bonus cache would not.

Or if the stage is a 'virtual stage' where info is gathered from an existing object.

First, on the edit page, convert all physical waypoints to REFERENCE.  then change the cache type.

You'll lose the FINAL, it simply cannot be salvaged, though you could copy it as a reference point before making the change.    Reference waypoints will remain, and you can change them back to stages with the coords, and text if any , as original.

The form says you'll lose all waypoints, but it's really only stages that are lost.  And it may only be physical stages, though I'm not sure of that.

• Helpful 6