Corvallis Cache Machine, March 21, 2020

travisl

Note: circumstances may change after this initial posting. Look for my posts (with the icon13.gif icon) in this thread for all the important details and changes. If you think you've seen this all before, focus on the unique-to-this-event information in red.

(Link to dinner event cache)

Corvallis' tourism site mentions hiking, biking, wine tasting, theater, bird watching, craft beer, and public art. I'm sure omitting geocaching was just an oversight.

So fill up the tank, grab your gear, toss down some breakfast at way-too-early o'clock, and start on the route at GC2F9D5 Greater Love IV. From there, move at your own pace and get as many as you can.

Dinner will be at Woodstock's Pizza Parlor at 1045 NW Kings Blvd, N 44° 34.632 W 123° 16.488. Be there at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, March 21, 2020. Please log your "will attends" on the event page so I can let the restaurant know how many to expect.

Note that some caches on the route map may be marked with a "do not enter" icon icon_disabled.gif. Those cache owners have justifiably asked for their cache to not be on the route, and for the cache to not be sought during the cache machine. The cache is, in the owner's opinion, in a sensitive area, whether it's environmentally unwise, socially sensitive, or physically fragile. Just don't get it. It's not like there's a shortage of caches in the area.

Rules:

1) Follow all traffic laws, and drive safely. This is not a race; there are no winners. The only loser will be someone who gets hurt. When someone asks what you're doing, the right answer is honesty: "geocaching".

2) Respect private property, even if the cache owner didn't. Post your DNFs proudly.

3) One logbook entry for "CCM" is fine for most small and micros. Don't go filling up the logbook just because you want to mark your territory. 50 people's names and dates will fill up most one-sheets. Be kind and bring extra paper to add to caches with full logbooks.

4) As with all cache machines, if you find the cache, you'll be the one who has to re-hide it. Hide it as well as you found it. Handing it off to someone else and pointing down saying "it goes there" isn't good enough. Don't be a jerk. The extra 45 seconds isn't going to ruin your day.

5) Be gentle. Some cache containers are fragile, delicate, or weather sensitive. Take your time, double check the cache description, do it right.

If you’ve already found a couple of these caches, that’s fine - give us a chance to find the cache, and then we may turn to you for a hint. Suggestions and ''Count me ins'' are welcome on the event page.

----

The Corvallis Cache Machine FAQ:

When is it? 

Saturday, March 21, 2020. Start time is 6:45 a.m at  GC2F9D5 Greater Love IV.

Will it be one large group, will we be split into teams, or what?

We'll start as one large group, but after a dozen caches or so, the large groups will likely fragment, and on a long day like this, you'll probably be on your own by the time most people in town are waking up. If you want to go off-route to find letterboxes, Pokémon, portals, or Starbucks, well, you do you.

Is anything going on before, during, or after?

An unofficial informal they-don't-know-we're-coming pre-event dinner will be at Sky High Brewing and Pub (families welcome), 160 NW Jackson Avenue, at 7:00 PM on Friday, March 20. The official event dinner is this event cache.

Hey, there's a cache *right there!* Why aren't we getting that one?

My standard answer here is that I try to avoid most multicaches, most puzzle caches, caches that appear to be overly time consuming, and caches that the owner has asked us to avoid. The route is built around highly-favorited caches, so some just didn't make the cut.

A cache on your map shows the wrong place to park. // Hey, that road doesn't exist! // That's a long hike! // What's with making us ford the river?

Thanks for catching that! Let me know, and I'll incorporate it your fix into the route.

Why does the route go way past the dinner time? Is this a two-day event?

The extra time is a buffer, in case you're so good that you'd run out of caches before you run out of daylight. I don't expect anyone would be able to hit all of them between sunrise and sunset. Of course, if you wanted to hit them after dinner, or on Sunday, I'm sure you'll be able to find folks to join you.

It sounds fun, but I've already found some of them.

Then come laugh at us, try to remember where they were, look at the old logbook signatures, or guess when we'll be at the caches you haven't hit yet. Maybe pass your phone number around for us to call when we get stumped.

You have X cache on the route, but it's disabled/archived/a long hike.

Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route (if archived) or may check with the owner (if disabled).

X cache is in an environmentally sensitive area. // My cache is physically fragile and I don't want it broken.

By all means, let me know. I don't want to send dozens of people there to stomp all over it.

I disagree with the whole idea of cache machines. I don't want you finding my cache.

Sorry to hear that. It's too bad you've got a neat place to show us that we won't be able to see. Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route.

What's this gonna cost me?

Nothing for the caching. Or, at least, nothing more than it would cost than if you did the trip solo (e.g., paying for your own gas, hotel, and dinner). I'm not collecting any money for this.

Lunch? Breaks? Bathrooms?

There's no breaks in cache machines! Just hold it. ? Or find something on the way.

Rain? Snow? Heat? Landslides? Flooding? Rattlesnakes?

Probably, yes. Do what you safely can, and skip ahead when reality or your capabilities don't match the plan. Be prepared and flexible.

What do the map symbols mean?

Turquoise lines show my suggested route, but if there's a brown trail or grey road that I've drawn in, ignore the turquoise. Red car icons show places to park a car for a short time (usually a trailhead).

ce16d180-40c2-423d-a3ab-b976b7b4a2b2.jpg

Rocky Road by The Posse ...  Its a rock museum.  It's a older woman running the place. The answer for the virual cache is inside.  I would call so she knows a big crowd is coming.  +1 541-466-5814 is the number i found online. It would suck if she was close the day you guys do the cache machine.  

On 2/22/2020 at 4:03 PM, SwineFlew said:

Rocky Road by The Posse ...  Its a rock museum.  It's a older woman running the place. The answer for the virual cache is inside.  I would call so she knows a big crowd is coming.  +1 541-466-5814 is the number i found online. It would suck if she was close the day you guys do the cache machine.  

Rocky Road is an outstanding virtual, at a unique structure full of unusual collections, built and curated by the father of the two elderly (80s) sisters, Penny and Nancy, who now run it and give tours.

This cache is listed late in the route, at 4:54 pm, and not sure the museum will still be open (certainly not after 5:00). And you do have to go inside, as that's where the item is, and you usually need to ask them to get the answer (unless you want to spend time wandering to figure it out) . We should probably contact them beforehand to confirm the open hours that day and warn them of extra visitors, ones who may prefer to cache-n-dash.  In fact, I will do that and report back. 

Penny & Nancy Mackey

Living Rock Studios, www.livingrockstudios.org

I loved this cache, and got the full tour from Penny and Nancy. Here's my log from 2018:

"Fantabulous! This has been on my list for a while, but never in the area at the right times. Sisters Penny and Nancy are a hoot, and Nancy gave me the tour of Living Rock Studios. Their father was clearly an eccentric, but with amazing vision. Everywhere you look, some fascinating element - geology, history, artwork, textiles, wow! Sad that they don't have anyone who will carry on when they are gone."

It's really worth spending some time if you can - Travis, I think you'd love it!

• Helpful 1

Caches with potential issues:

2 DNFs; hasn't been found since August.

015 - Squishy Cache

2-3 DNFs this month; may be missing.

It's a micro buried in thorns (up to the chest, last DNF says); hasn't been found since February 2019.

And these are noted as tricky, with various DNFs, but are there:

Difficult (4 stars), but apparently there.

050 - Irvinville Whistle Stop

Tricky; wasps in warm weather.

051 - Daisy's Dilemma

Tricky; feel around.

7 hours ago, hydnsek said:

Rocky Road is an outstanding virtual, at a unique structure full of unusual collections, built and curated by the father of the two elderly (80s) sisters, Penny and Nancy, who now run it and give tours.

This cache is listed late in the route, at 4:54 pm, and not sure the museum will still be open (certainly not after 5:00). And you do have to go inside, as that's where the item is, and you usually need to ask them to get the answer (unless you want to spend time wandering to figure it out) . We should probably contact them beforehand to confirm the open hours that day and warn them of extra visitors, ones who may prefer to cache-n-dash.  In fact, I will do that and report back. 

Penny & Nancy Mackey

Living Rock Studios, www.livingrockstudios.org

I loved this cache, and got the full tour from Penny and Nancy. Here's my log from 2018:

"Fantabulous! This has been on my list for a while, but never in the area at the right times. Sisters Penny and Nancy are a hoot, and Nancy gave me the tour of Living Rock Studios. Their father was clearly an eccentric, but with amazing vision. Everywhere you look, some fascinating element - geology, history, artwork, textiles, wow! Sad that they don't have anyone who will carry on when they are gone."

It's really worth spending some time if you can - Travis, I think you'd love it!

That was a fun cache but it took awhile and thats why I bought it up. I really don't think it belongs to a cache machine but that's my opinion.  

Edited by SwineFlew
37 minutes ago, ZSteve said:

Not sure #6 will be available that early.  It's inside a building.

I believe that 17-22 will be on foot (or bicycle) and a parking permit is now required.  I believe the permit can be purchased online for $10 for the day.

Yes. I was going to bring that up as well.  Last I remember,  parking permit is required anywhere near this place. Even just parking along the road.  

17 hours ago, SwineFlew said:

https://coord.info/GC41MJY

Thomson's Mill. The answers for the multi is inside and it will take time. The mill will be closed at 4pm. It will be 6:11pm when you guys roll through. The cache is outside. I love this place.

This is another cool spot, but concur: answers are inside the museum; cache is outside. Parking fee required on-site, and may be closed at the time we roll through. (I found free off-site parking.) Other nearby caches may have the same restriction. 

Edited by hydnsek
9 hours ago, hydnsek said:

This is another cool spot, but concur: answers are inside the museum; cache is outside. Parking fee required on-site, and may be closed at the time we roll through. (I found free off-site parking.) Other nearby caches may have the same restriction. 

The guardrail cache by odder along the road is archived.  I know people that uaed to work there.  My family feed mill and Thompson mill did business together.  They were back and forth. When Thompson closed their doors, their bookkeeper work for my family business.  

13 hours ago, SwineFlew said:

The guardrail cache by odder along the road is archived.  I know people that uaed to work there.  My family feed mill and Thompson mill did business together.  They were back and forth. When Thompson closed their doors, their bookkeeper work for my family business.  

Very cool, thanks for the personal color about the area! Always glad to have a local to help with these road shows. Yes, I think I parked near where that GR cache was last time I was there, then walked in to the farm / museum area.

On 3/5/2020 at 9:51 AM, travisl said:

I'm considering postponing this event due to health department recommendations against large gatherings of people. Please let me know your thoughts here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PNWCacheMachines/permalink/2527002190952244/

I've postponed it until September 19. See my announcement here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PNWCacheMachines/permalink/2527996274186169/ 

• Upvote 2
On 5/4/2020 at 12:40 PM, The Jester said:

Not all of us are FB users, so we can't see you thoughts...

Sorry about that -- I thought that group was open without login. Copying and pasting here:

(Subject to change, obviously)
In case you're wondering, the revised Corvallis Cache Machine is still on the calendar for September 19. It will happen if and only if, no later than September 7, two criteria are met:
- Oregon must reach phase 3 of its Reopening Oregon Framework, AND
- Washington must reach phase 4 of its Phased Approach.
Failing that, it will be rescheduled again to March 20, 2021.

With today's announcement that Oregon Phase 3 won't be reached until at least the end of September, it's not looking promising.

Hmm, I'm curious why Washington has to be at Phase 4?  The CM is in Oregon, and WA Phase 3 has "Resume non-essential travel", so shouldn't all we "need" is Phase 3?  And different counties are hitting Phases at different times (it's not state wide).  Just wondering...

I'm cancelling the September event. It's incredibly unlikely at this point that Washington and Oregon will get to the final phases in the next five weeks. The numbers now are much, much worse than when I made the original postponement call on March 5 (indicated by the red arrows). I won't reschedule this until it's clearly a lot safer out there.

WA_rates.jpg

OR_rates.jpg

Edited by travisl
  • Upvote 2