Interesting Virtual twist

CAVinoGal

Maybe it's not so new or interesting, but I haven't come across this before - it's one of the first round of Virtuals awarded a couple of years ago, but instead of the CO posing a question, the finders answer a question posed by the previous finder, and then pose their own question for the next finder to answer ... the process was started by the Reviewer who posted a question with the Publish log.  The CO is not dealing with emailed answers, and you as a finder get a little involved in the process.  Different (to me), interesting, and fun!  How many questions can there be? Just browsing the logs I found a few duplicates or very close and with careful reading you can likely answer some without even visiting the mural.  It would be fun to try and come up with a new and unique question!

To claim credit for this find, you must look at the mural and complete these two things when you write your log:

1)       Answer the question posed by the previous finder in their log    

- - -    a question about the mural.  (There may be an overlap  

by two or more geocachers finding this virtual on the same   

day, but do your best.)   Please do not upload pictures of the

whole mural.   Questions may be easy or a little tricky.

2)     After you answer your question, ask a question for the next 

visitor to observe and answer in their log.

• Surprised 2
  • Love 2

There still would have to be some level of oversight, since the question has to be about the mural. If an irrelevant question is asked, or no question is answered, who deals with the false log? And if you say 'does it matter' then this effectively becomes a free for all... =/  It's a neat idea, but it's very honour-system heavy.  I'm more intrigued that it was approved and published! :)

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Maybe it's not so new or interesting, but I haven't come across this before - it's one of the first round of Virtuals awarded a couple of years ago, but instead of the CO posing a question, the finders answer a question posed by the previous finder, and then pose their own question for the next finder to answer ... the process was started by the Reviewer who posted a question with the Publish log.  The CO is not dealing with emailed answers, and you as a finder get a little involved in the process.  Different (to me), interesting, and fun!  How many questions can there be? Just browsing the logs I found a few duplicates or very close and with careful reading you can likely answer some without even visiting the mural.  It would be fun to try and come up with a new and unique question!

To claim credit for this find, you must look at the mural and complete these two things when you write your log:

1)       Answer the question posed by the previous finder in their log    

- - -    a question about the mural.  (There may be an overlap  

by two or more geocachers finding this virtual on the same   

day, but do your best.)   Please do not upload pictures of the

whole mural.   Questions may be easy or a little tricky.

2)     After you answer your question, ask a question for the next 

visitor to observe and answer in their log.

For the record, as the Publishing Reviewer, the Cache Owner gave me the first question to add to my Publish log.  I gave them that option, or the option to post a Note on the Listing page.  I have not personally visited the Virtual yet.

I thought at the time, that there would be some finite number of questions that could be asked, but I did not concern myself with that issue, the same way I don't concern myself with the quality of a cache placement or say, how difficult or ridiculously hard a Puzzle cache is.

As far as monitoring the Listing page, that's really up to the cache owner to resolve.  Judging from their Profile, they still appear to be active (logged in yesterday).  Out of curiosity, I put the Listing page on my Watchlist to see how it would be received, and judging from the Find logs, it appears folks are having a good time with it.

Along similar lines, I own an Earthcache on my Player Account (different from my Reviewing Account) that requires a measurement as a Logging Requirement.  In my instructions, I tell folks to use whatever is readily available, and as an example I used my son as a measuring tool.  Since then, people have similarly used common objects like shoes, hats, hands and so forth to make the measurement.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Cool. So I guess a followup question might be - was this published as an exception/experiement, as in someone else may not be able to get it published by a different reviewer (outside getting an exception, since there's no precedent) -- or is this actually an allowable concept that others could replicate in other caches? (well, virtuals, any yet to published) :)

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the feedback!  So while not unique, it's not common either.  Reading logs of all of these, folks do seem to enjoy them, and comply with answering and coming up with questions.  I had not seen anything like that before!

It puzzled me when I saw a friend's log on my Community Feed (new dashboard) where she appeared to be giving away the Virtual answers (all Virtuals I've done tell you specifically NOT to post answers!).  I looked at the cache in question (GC7B6EF) and thus began this discussion!

• Love 2