Which GPS?

HikingGuyPNW

34 minutes ago, Touchstone said:

The following resource might be useful in your decision making process:

https://www.geocaching.com/about/buying.aspx

I'd like to disagree with this option,  that still considers the Geomate jr a tool for geocaching, for a new handheld user .  :)

- And the last copyright for gpsinfo.net was 2013, with the "newest" GPSr a 650.    One of a couple pages that need updating...

I feel a simple search in these GPS forums, (where this thread is now) is probably best.  They're all opinions anyway.  

Edited by cerberus1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

I'd like to disagree with this option,  that still considers the Geomate jr a tool for geocaching, for a new handheld user .  :)

- And the last copyright for gpsinfo.net was 2013, with the "newest" GPSr a 650.    One of a couple pages that need updating...

I feel a simple search in these GPS forums, (where this thread is now) is probably best.  They're all opinions anyway.  

Done.  Thanks for the suggestion.

• Upvote 1

Back on topic....

For under $300 USD, in my opinion, the best you are going to do for geocaching is the Oregon 7x0, which can now be found on amazon and other places for less than your budget. 

I have two of them, and they were always my favorite geocaching GPSr until the GPSMAP 66 was released, which I like better for some of the advanced features it includes. But for size and ease of use, it will be hard to beat an Oregon 7x0.

My favorite feature of the Oregon 7x0 is the ability to load geocache information 'live', in the field, on a whim, without prior planning and preparation, which all previous models do require.

More Oregon 7x0 information is available here.

2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

That's funny, the Geomate Jr. has been out of production for years.... The company doesn't even exists any more.

GPSrChive is still currently updated on a regular basis.

• Upvote 1

Before you go out and hastily buy a GPS, I suggest reading this recent thread about phones vs GPS. I'm not trying to discourage you, but I do want you to have some realistic expectations about what a GPS will do compared to the phone apps you already use so that you don't go out and spend $300 on a device that might not solve your problems.

That said, I'm a fan of the Garmin Oregon series as well. You can't go wrong.

On 2/22/2020 at 1:41 PM, Mineral2 said:

Before you go out and hastily buy a GPS, I suggest reading this recent thread about phones vs GPS. I'm not trying to discourage you, but I do want you to have some realistic expectations about what a GPS will do compared to the phone apps you already use so that you don't go out and spend $300 on a device that might not solve your problems.

That said, I'm a fan of the Garmin Oregon series as well. You can't go wrong.

Just my two cents bit one thing to consider is if you are going to be able to use your phone in the area you plan to cache.  I've been out of this fora few years but am getting back in to it  The last two weekends the wife and I have gone out and driving up in the mountains we had no cell service for a majority of the  caching.  We still have our old Garmin 60cs that we use as our back up to the iPhones.  I made the mistake yesterday of not uploading a pocket query of Lake Don Pedro when we ran out there.  Sure enough we had no reception (no Verizon towers) on the north or east side of the lake.  We had to back track several miles to get reception back which burned both time and daylight.  

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I have dozens of GPS and was an early fan of the Magellan Meridian series. These days my wife uses a 62S and I use a 78S.....in our bag is a spare 62S and 64S. While I am a big fan of the 60 series I don't like the rubberized covering which can be destroyed by sweaty hands.....the 78S has no such covering and the button orientation I find better than the 60 series. The 78S has a patch ant. and not the gold standard quad but I have had excellent results for years now although its been a long time since I've cached in narrow canyons and cracks.

The 78S is marketed as a marine unit and sells new for around $200 and refurbished for around $110. The 78S is basically a 62S in a much better case but with a patch ant.

If I broke mine I'd get another 78S hands down.