Rusting RITR logbook staples

barefootjeff

After the big wet here a couple of weeks ago, I've been doing the rounds of some of my caches that live close to watercourses. Some of the older ones use the official Rite-in-the-Rain yellow logbooks and, while the logbooks themselves are fine, the steel staples are rusting away.

image.png.70831125ff2ef0bb70101dc807172ffc.png

Maybe it's the prevalence of salt water and salty air around here and it mightn't be a problem in more inland locations. My maintenance is simply to replace the steel staple with a copper one, which are readily available in the correct size here, but it's perhaps a manufacturing oversight in the design of these otherwise long-lasting logbooks. I thought I'd mention it here in case anyone else finds it a helpful tip to maybe replace the staple before putting it out.

5 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

The box of copper staples I bought are branded Rexel and made in China.

Cool.  I’ll check some office supply stores.  I previously found stainless steel staples online, but wasn’t sure if they actually work in an ordinary office stapler.  I make tiny custom log books for smaller lock-n-locks, and rusty staples are becoming a nuisance.

Edited by kunarion
2 minutes ago, lee737 said:

I've seen those and thought of them Jeff, but they are the wrong size for my heavy duty stapler..... I've had to replace a few rusted staples myself....

Looks to me like a case of a problem solved and another created, kinda. A little forward thinking, by those making the logs books, should have shown that.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, colleda said:

Looks to me like a case of a problem solved and another created, kinda. A little forward thinking, by those making the logs books, should have shown that.

I wonder if a little coating of something would slow the rust.  Primer or paint pen or nail polish or whatever.  If I try something, I’ll post the results.

Because I replace my wet logbooks regardless, I make my own from ordinary paper.  Nat Geo Map Paper and Rite-in-the-Rain get moldy faster, and cost more.  Anyway, a copper staple would look cool. :cute:

Edited by kunarion

my guess is write in the rain is actually designed for field survey trades, that have a need to write while they are outside standing in the rain, like a survey crew. Open the book, write your note and store it away in your pocket. The paper and writing survives and the staples are stored pretty much dry. Not place in a location of continuous wet. FYI, Write in the Rain also sells loose paper.Perhaps use the paper to make your own log and bind it with stainless steel staples, or copper staples, or copper wire?

Edited by ras_oscar

Was confused and had to check...

The notepads we have are attached with a coated spiral, and all our notebooks  are glued, not stapled.

Similar to colleda, all that rigging to get something to work can be solved easily just by ordering a different book.    :)

- Though the site did use to say the staples were "rust-resistant".  Salt environment, all bets are off I guess...

I'd actually prefer the spiral pads if folks wouldn't rip out a page time-to-time,  maybe forgetting any paper of their own...

Seems easier for folks to "flip" a top cover, where they have a desire to fold-back  the notebook cover.

13 hours ago, ras_oscar said:

my guess is write in the rain is actually designed for field survey trades, that have a need to write while they are outside standing in the rain, like a survey crew. Open the book, write your note and store it away in your pocket. The paper and writing survives and the staples are stored pretty much dry. Not place in a location of continuous wet. FYI, Write in the Rain also sells loose paper.Perhaps use the paper to make your own log and bind it with stainless steel staples, or copper staples, or copper wire?

Ok back story. I found a rite in rain log yesterday completely soaked container filled to the brim and not to mention slimy as heck. Staples probably was rusty but most things were slimy black. But completely writable and an amazing view of the Pacific Ocean. 

So I'm totally impressed here and this post got me curious so as we say google is your friend.

https://southsoundmag.com/rite-in-the-rain-100/

From the article started in 1916 for the logging industry in the Pacific Northwest. They used wooden planks for writing on as paper disintegrated as many of us know.

On 2/18/2020 at 7:13 PM, barefootjeff said:

After the big wet here a couple of weeks ago, I've been doing the rounds of some of my caches that live close to watercourses. Some of the older ones use the official Rite-in-the-Rain yellow logbooks and, while the logbooks themselves are fine, the steel staples are rusting away.

I bet it has to do with their Environmental Impact Position

RECYCLABILITY

In spite of Rite in the Rain's durability, it’s as recyclable as standard office paper, which is untrue of synthetic plastic, poly-coated, or poly-bound papers. Simply recycle Rite in the Rain as you do other office paper. Furthermore, all our cover materials used on Rite in the Rain products (Polydura, Field-Flex, and Fabrikoid) are all recyclable using standard curbside recycling programs. For recycling Wire-O products, it’s recommended to separate the metal wire from the book prior to putting it all in the receptacle.

Copper though 100% recyclable is not in the US in the curbside disposal. Need to take it to a scrap metal place and who is going to do that for one or two small pieces. 

You should take a few pictures ad send them to their custom department and suggest the product improvement.