Stats Page

Sabaharr

Does anyone know what happened to the states stats pages on Insidecorner.com? My links for them have not worked for weeks and the main site does not come up either. I would appreciate any info anyone has about it.

Life is like being on a dog sled team. If you are not the lead dog the view is always the same.

Complacancy is feeding a tiger steaks while waiting for him to become a vegitarian.

quote:
Originally posted by Sabaharr:

Does anyone know what happened to the states stats pages on Insidecorner.com? My links for them have not worked for weeks and the main site does not come up either. I would appreciate any info anyone has about it.

Sab, my brother...

Dan's stats are long gone, and there has been no shortage of discussions about it in the last month since the site shut down. Check the "General" and "Geocaching.com" discussion boards here (I'm sure someone else here will Markwell the actual threads...).

-Dave R., your Biloxi bro'

Yea, it's gone forever. There are quite a few threads about it - I'll post links to some later - but the 2 most active ones can be found on the General board and the Geocaching.com board. They're probably still on the first page of messages.

[OFF TOPIC]

This is furthur proof that not all active cachers read the forums. I love the attitude that some people have that everybody reads the forums. It's obvious that a lot of people don't (I'd even say a majority don't read) read the forums so they don't have a clue what goes on there. There are also a lot of people who just get the coordinates from the site and find the cache - and never log online. I know this from finding caches with anywhere from 5% to 30% of the logs not online.

But I digress, back to the topic:

[/OFF TOPIC]

Tell your friends to read the forums and voice their opinions icon_smile.gif

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

quote:
Originally posted by southdeltan:

[OFF TOPIC]

[/OFF TOPIC]

I'm not quite sure what prompted that, but it's very true. I would guess that only 10-20% of caches ever look at the forums and maybe only 3-5% read and post regularly.

At one recent cacher get-together, someone mentioned the forums and a woman there didn't know what they were. Of the rest, only a few were forum visitors.

At another get-together a while back, I wore a Mitsuko sticker and made some Mitsuko references. To my dismay, only a couple people there even knew what I was talking about.

This, even though I think forum participants are far more likely to attend get-togethers than the average cacher.

Jamie

Sorry Jamie - that little off topic bit was in response to the anti-official leaderboard arguements of some people. I keep seeing people who don't post come on and ask 'where did Dan's Leaderboard go' - which lets me know they don't follow the forums. I don't want to get into another anti or pro arguement (I can guess your stance due to the Paterquest) because it's getting out of hand.

Basically - a some people want GC.com to make an official leaderboard. Some people don't. There are lots of reasons that people have either view.

I've just grown tired of the 'elitist' view that every geocacher reads the forums and that all decisions should be based off of that. You'll see that arguement used by both sides on any thread about any subject (from leaderboards to knives in caches to cache approval, etc).

I don't know if your estimates are correct but I bet they're close. They may even be a bit high - based on the fact that there are roughly 48,000 accounts for the forums (which are created at the same time as you create a geocaching.com account - since the user accounts are tired together). 1450 users is about 3% of that number so.... you do the math icon_smile.gif I'd say that if 3% post regularly (once a week) then less than 1% post several times a week.

I've based my view on who knows what and who likes what on the people I've met also. A large number don't follow the forums and a lot don't even know about them. Most had heard of the leaderboard however - very intersting. Of course this is only based on people I've met. It may be different elsewhere. I don't think a blanket statement of who likes what could be made without a real scientic poll.

southdeltan

South...

Certainly most of the Miss. cachers know about the late leaderboard because there are comparatively few active cachers in Miss. and we all have talked about it on the MS Forum...that leaderboard was a fundamental part of our state caching culture, as you know.

-Dave R.

quote:
Originally posted by southdeltan:

[OFF TOPIC]

[/OFF TOPIC]

South...

Obviously my post intrigued you. I'm sorry you haven't seen me post before. However, I will admit I do NOT read all forums. I do well to keep track of the South and Southeast. My apologies for sending this thread off on a tangent. WITHOUT reading all the forums, I trust GC.com will some day have a leaderboard, or someone else will create one. Until then, I'll just keep finding caches and reading the South and Southeast Forums!!!!!

OK, enough about me and countless others that decide to go caching instead of camping out in the forums. I visit occasionally as you can see by my whopping 30 something posts in just over 2 years. I asked a simple question and some people have to exhibit their superiority by blasting me for not reading the answer burried in the bowels and debths of someone elses question string. So I don't read every word printed here, big deal. From what I have read over half of it is something negative from one cacher to another about some simple, innocent statement or question that gets blown WAAAAAAY out of proportion. I just wish these people would stop squabbling like little kids and try to start working together. Can you imagine the good that could be done if merritus topics were discussed as vigorusly as flameing is. Sorry, but I just dont have time to read the ramblings of adolesent babble. You know who you are, the ones that are going to make negative comments about this post are just who I am referring to. So this is my que to exit these well intentioned yet abused hallowed halls for a while. Maybe in a few months I will peak back in to see if there were any positive changes. Untill then, safe and happy caching to all, even the adolescent babblers.

Life is like being on a dog sled team. If you are not the lead dog the view is always the same.

Complacancy is feeding a tiger steaks while waiting for him to become a vegitarian.

My little [OFF][/OFF] topic rant was not aimed at anybody in particular and certainly not at anybody on this thread - I was just relasing a bit of frustration. I was just mainly noting that Sabaharr's post proves that there are people who don't read the forums and who were also interested in the stats page.

I'm sorry if there was any confusion.

southdeltan