Abandonded cache

nearlywild

There is local cache that is in a good location.  It is in a 30 day window before it is archived if the owner does not reply.  From looking at his profile he hasn't been active for the last 6 years.  What do I do if I want to keep a cache at this location?  Do I just wait until it is archived and then submit my own at those coordinates? 

10 minutes ago, nearlywild said:

There is local cache that is in a good location.  It is in a 30 day window before it is archived if the owner does not reply.  From looking at his profile he hasn't been active for the last 6 years.  What do I do if I want to keep a cache at this location?  Do I just wait until it is archived and then submit my own at those coordinates? 

Yes, that would be the proper way to do it.  If the cacher has not been active for that long, he/she likely will not respond, and the cache is laready in the archive queue. Put it on a watch, and in the meantime, prepare yours to submit once that one is archived.

Have you visited the cche location?  Is the old one, in fact, gone?

I suggest to contact the reviewer about your idea.

He can't make you adopt the old cache without the old owners help (which won't come) but he might archive the old and publish your new cache at the same time. And he might know if something has changed that might complicate a new cache.

Is the old cache still in place? If you are sure that the cache is not listed anywhere else (!) please help by collecting it to reduce garbage in the nature. I would not recommend to use the box as your own but you can collect it when putting out your own one and post a note in the old listing or contact the owner so that he knows where he can get his cache box if he wants to. If the owner does not react you can still use it or throw it away after some time has passed....

Have fun!

Jochen

• Upvote 2
On 2/18/2020 at 9:38 PM, nearlywild said:

I would plant a new cache in that location once the abandoned cache is archived. Also it wouldn't hurt to let the reviewer know your plans. How exciting to find a good location! Location, location, location is important and helps to keep geocaching interesting! 

In many regions you may be able to 'claim' the area with an unpublished listing - once it's archived if you create a listing in the empty location, placed at the location you wish to place the cache but not yet sent for publish, then a reviewer may give you dibs if someone else tries to publish there first. Just make it clear your cache is almost ready to go. (but publish it asap to be safe)