Is it possible to obtain coords from the Geocache Search Map?

Chipper3

When using Google Maps, it is possible to obtain coords for a location by Option/Clicking (MAC) on a location.

Is it possible to pull coords in a similar fashion from the Geocaching search map view.  I like to look at the map and location of existing caches and nearby multi's to get an idea for further investigation for a new cache?

No, that isn't possible, and while it may have been for a specific reason (dissuading hiders from using the map for coordinates), the primary difficulty is that the right click doesn't produce a useful result on the gc.com map.  You'll need to keep using Google or other sources directly that can feed back coordinates for a cursor position.

Are you just trying to sort our proximity issues for new caches?  If you looked at coordinates for any of the others in the area, you'd have a good rough idea of where you are.

Edited by ecanderson

THANK YOU!

Yes, just checking  out possibilites  Then I go back to google maps and zoom in and then do a 3D fly over before trooping out to the site for a real look.  Gives me an idea where to bushwhack. (And I do realize that  multis and puzzles could cut thru an area.)

It is easier if I can kinda pin point an area with coords before switching back to google map when planning a string of multi-cache stations.

I do see that geocaching map does show the center of the screen with coords and that window shows up in the bottom left corner.  I just position the target area in the center of the screen and grab those coords.  That helps a little so I can re-find that "spot" when switching  back to google map.

2 hours ago, Chipper3 said:

THANK YOU!

Yes, just checking  out possibilites  Then I go back to google maps and zoom in and then do a 3D fly over before trooping out to the site for a real look.  Gives me an idea where to bushwhack. (And I do realize that  multis and puzzles could cut thru an area.)

It is easier if I can kinda pin point an area with coords before switching back to google map when planning a string of multi-cache stations.

I do see that geocaching map does show the center of the screen with coords and that window shows up in the bottom left corner.  I just position the target area in the center of the screen and grab those coords.  That helps a little so I can re-find that "spot" when switching  back to google map.

Download the caches in the area you're interested in to a GPX file, create a map in Google Drive and upload the GPX to your new map, open Google maps, click "your places" in the menu, then "maps", and open the map you created in Drive with the cache locations. You can right click on the map in an open spot and get the coordinates, once you are on that map you won't have to switch back to GC.com to see the cache locations.

@31MBSG...   I just finished a My Map with existing caches in RED and added the stages of a planned multi-cache in YELLOW.  I just want to thank you again for your wonderful suggestion!

I re-read your comment about seeing Stages of a 2nd party multi.    I assume if the stages are marked hidden in the original set-up then they will not show up.  I would not want someone to use this "back door" to find the stages without finding them in order and gaining the coords of the next stage from the stage-cache.

• Upvote 1

Dunno if this is helpful, but since you mentioned Google Maps...if you select a point in Google Maps, and then right-click, you get a popup menu. Select "What's Here?" and you'll get a popup box with coords. If you want geocaching-style coords, you'll need to convert them, tho. But I find this very helpful when I need WPs for an outing.  (Caveat: This is in Safari on a Mac. YMMV.)

136988173_ScreenShot2020-02-18at2_42_40AM.png.1e51f2c87f7c3ac8241db06dd44bae2d.png2013961794_ScreenShot2020-02-18at2_42_51AM.png.ab7479373a0e90aa0f5a15f7f7942b76.png

Edited by hydnsek
19 hours ago, Chipper3 said:

@31BMSG Mission accomplished.  I notice that for my caches all of the Stages including final location for a Cache are imported along with teh Listed Main coords for the cache.  

Is this just because the Geocaching site recognizes "me." ?

Dan

Yes, only you will see those.  It's nice if you want to do maintenance on your own multis and stages are out in the weeds a bit.  I discovered that quite by accident one day since I don't think I had ever run a list that didn't have "Not found by you" (or whatever) it is checked.  Was quite pleased to see that feature.

Edited by ecanderson
On 2/17/2020 at 3:34 PM, Chipper3 said:

When using Google Maps, it is possible to obtain coords for a location by Option/Clicking (MAC) on a location.

Is it possible to pull coords in a similar fashion from the Geocaching search map view.  I like to look at the map and location of existing caches and nearby multi's to get an idea for further investigation for a new cache?

A great site for really accurate coordinates is whatsmygps.com. I use it for puzzles where they generate accurate coords.

23 minutes ago, MrPi3141 said:

A great site for really accurate coordinates is whatsmygps.com. I use it for puzzles where they generate accurate coords.

Just to be clear, that site gives very precise coordinates, but there's no guarantee that they're accurate. It's still based on an aerial imagery map (Maxar), which can suffer from poorly-aligned imagery just like Google Maps or any other online map. It could be more accurate than Google Maps in some areas, and it could be less accurate in others.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
On 2/20/2020 at 9:06 PM, The A-Team said:

Just to be clear, that site gives very precise coordinates, but there's no guarantee that they're accurate. It's still based on an aerial imagery map (Maxar), which can suffer from poorly-aligned imagery just like Google Maps or any other online map. It could be more accurate than Google Maps in some areas, and it could be less accurate in others.

I meant, you can put in the answer you get for a puzzle if the puzzle answer generates precise/accurate coords without rounding.

6 hours ago, MrPi3141 said:

I meant, you can put in the answer you get for a puzzle if the puzzle answer generates precise/accurate coords without rounding.

I’m sorry but I don’t understand what you are trying to accomplish nor why you continue to use “accurate.”  Most puzzles are designed to solve for the coordinates the cache owner provided as the cache location. Accuracy or precision is not a issue as one is trying to derive a number (the solution) that matches another number (the location). I know some puzzles generate “fuzzy” coordinates but they are in the minority in my experience. Once you have the solution you can just plug it into Google maps which will show the location the puzzle solution produced.  Again precision or accuracy are not an issue, the mapping program will point to the location you provided. 

Again, I’m not sure what you d are trying to accomplish. 

On 2/20/2020 at 2:36 PM, MrPi3141 said:

I hope no one thinks my advice to Chipper3 was suggesting using coordinates from Google to place a cache, that was for looking at other caches in the vicinity and finding an open spot as a starting point, you still need to use GPS to average the coordinates at the location you are considering. If you are placing caches using coordinates from any online map you are doing it wrong.

• Upvote 1