JFIF demanded instead of JPG in image upload dialogue

Pontiac_CZ

I have upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have Firefox 73.0 x64 as before. But something has changed. In a new log form - when I open the image import dialog, it does not see my JPG files by default because it requests only files with extensions JFIF, PNG or GIF. :blink:

638507389_imagetypes.png.7c4f67fa2beac69a08052cab2ceefd50.png

JFIF is a rarely used extension for JPG images, I've actually never seen it to be used with digital cameras. Why is it demanded now instead of common JPG or JPEG?

When I choose "all files" from the dropdown, my JPG files appear and I can attach them, no problem afterwards.

Can you verify that it happens only in Firefox?  I tried it in Brave (a FF port), and Edge, and the dialog box on my system includes JPG.  The default selection has all the common image formats, as "Custom Files", quite different from what you are seeing.

Untitled-1ff.jpg

Untitledff-2.jpg

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1
5 hours ago, Pontiac_CZ said:

I have upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have Firefox 73.0 x64 as before. But something has changed. In a new log form - when I open the image import dialog, it does not see my JPG files by default because it requests only files with extensions JFIF, PNG or GIF. :blink:

Here's a web page about resetting Windows access to JPG:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-cannot-open-jpg-files

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Pontiac_CZ said:

IE 11 accepts JPG.

IE 11 has no troubles with JPG

Which means something is wrong with my Firefox. But what? :huh:

I reset the Photo app as recommended on Kunarion's link but that didn't help. I even don't use Photos app, my default photo viewer is XnView MP...

You can try to refresh Firefox:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

That might be worth a shot. :)

Hmm. I tried another site where you can upload images without having to be registered. There's a whole lot of them but I recalled www.imgur.com, I occasionally use it for screenshots. So I clicked the "Choose photo/video" there to see if my Firefox is still broken. And guess what?

imgur_is_ok.png.0ff9e6462c7d7f5a2e52482d3bb1e939.png

All looks good there.

So I suspect it could be something on geocaching.com side.

Edited by Pontiac_CZ
1 hour ago, Pontiac_CZ said:

Oops, I have just checked the log form and it is alright as well. :o Someone silently fixed it?

gc_ok_too_now.png.4bfdcfdc6a900fffd9bd820f70e1ba95.png

Well that's a relief! :P

There may be some tweaking occurring on the server side.  In Brave, my "New Experience" log form remains unchanged, including the line for "custom files" such as ".jfif" and ".pjpeg".  Other less fancy upload forms throughout the site show only the "All files (*.*)" line.