Kisatchie Cool Weather Campout - Come one come all!

alexm

Wahoo! The even cache has been posted! For those of you who cannot wait for it to show up on a list near you, you can visit the cache page here.

Now for the real fun part. Anybody have any ideas for activities or should we just wing it?! We've got most of 5 weeks to get it all together...

We're also going to need to make sure we get some folks up there prior to the event to "squat" on the campsite before the weekend sets in. I've got a nearby backup site in mind, just in case...

Looking forward to seeing y'all there (wherever y'all may be from)!

(I can't wait)

alex

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

I'll be there as early Friday as I can, but certainly in time to set up a tent and camp. Just one question... is this going to be a hydrocache like last time? icon_biggrin.gif

Personally, I'd like to avoid the hydro-tenting if at all possible. While my GPS is just about waterproof, I'm not. And neither is my sleeping bag I've come to find out. icon_smile.gif

Depending on the circumstances, I'd LIKE to make it there the Friday evening before. I tried that last time and didn't quite make it. Too many last minute loose-ends to tie up...

I was thining worst case (someone else is squatting), we could haul it over to the Claiborne/Loran Trailhead area and stay there. It seems MUCH big enough from what I remember, and the Kisatchie guides/maps say it has restroom facilities for the less outdoorsy types. The only problem would be, of course, being right in the center of several 4x4 trails. And, of course, you won't know till you get there. icon_smile.gif Another logistical hurdle to cross...

Either way, I'm hoping it at least holds a candle to last time's event. I'm going to try to coordinate an "activity" or two just to keep it interesting. Anybody interested in another night-time cache hunt?

If anybody has any ideas, let's hear 'em. icon_smile.gif

icon_smile.gificon_razz.gificon_cool.gif

alex

Me and my wife hope to make it there for this since we are new to the caching game we are eager to talk to you veterans of the game. We are even hoping to set up an event if we are able to shuffle something we have planned for that day to another time. So keep your fingers crossed and hope to see you there.. One thing I did want to ask though was is it fend for yourself dinners or do we all try to bring some part of dinner and hook up the group? and what time does everyone meet on saturday?

quote:
Originally posted by CenlaCouple:

Me and my wife hope to make it there for this since we are new to the caching game we are eager to talk to you veterans of the game. We are even hoping to set up an event if we are able to shuffle something we have planned for that day to another time. So keep your fingers crossed and hope to see you there.. One thing I did want to ask though was is it fend for yourself dinners or do we all try to bring some part of dinner and hook up the group? and what time does everyone meet on saturday?

I hope you folks can make it! It's always nice to see a few new faces when one of these things comes around. Last time, we had a fairly good representation from Texas geocachers. icon_smile.gif

Ideas for food and such are quite open at this point. I know that I personally don't have anything planned yet, but someone else might. I was considering possibly hauling up a crawfish rig and boiling crawfish for whoever is interested, but I'm not sure if crawfish and camping mix well together. Aside from someone announcing publicly a mass food-fest, it's probably best to go with the assumption that if you want to eat, you'd better bring something. icon_smile.gif

Last time around, the posted "let's meet" date was 9:00AM on Saturday. However, people pretty much just rolled in as they could make it.

The only "planned" activities that Katie and I are looking at at this point is a night-time group geocache, and, of course, the possiblity of crawfish or some other mass-food-fest. If we pulled either one off, it would be saturday afternoon / saturday night.

I'd be really interested in hearing other people's comments on the crawfish thing. I'd have no problem hauling the cooker-stuff up, but would need access to a significant amount of water and probably a good lead on a nearby place to grab a few sacks of crawfish on Saturday. Having to haul all that stuff up that morning or the day before may pose a few logistical problems.

I was thinking we could just toss all the shells behind ClayJar's tent and let him deal with the nigh-time woodland scavengers. icon_smile.gif

Hope to see you there!

Alex

Count me in too! icon_smile.gif

I can probably go over Friday at lunch and set up a tent to help reserve the area. The crawfish boil sounds like a great idea to me. Water shouldn't be a problem...we can either truck it over from my house or use one of the Forest Service faucets. There are several places in Alexandria and Pineville that have sacked crawfish on the weekends. When the event gets a little closer I could stop by and try to reserve a couple of sacks for Saturday morning. I don't mind picking them up if everyone decides in favor of a crawfish boil and Alex is willing to haul up the cooker! icon_smile.gif

quote:

The crawfish boil sounds like a great idea to me. Water shouldn't be a problem...we can either truck it over from my house or use one of the Forest Service faucets.

Excellent! If you get tied up, etc... pass along the phone numbers of the places and I can arrange the purchase/pickup. I plan on being up there at least once before the event, but if you know of the closest spigot and / or dumpster-type facility, that would probably help a good bit also. icon_smile.gif

Now I just need to tie up the loose ends on that night-time cache... But that's a secret... icon_wink.gif

Thanks!

Good news it seems that our plans were changeable and we are now planning to make it. This means that I can now annouce a plan for an activity.

since we live in the alex area we plan to go out a week in advance and hide 5 cache boxes. In each cache box will be 11 envelopes and in each envelope will be a playing card and directions to the next cahce.

Incase you haven't guessed we are setting up a Geocache Poker Run.

Now I know what you are thinking.. 5 caches 11 envelopes equals more cards then there are in your standard playing card deck.. well to keep it even we have decided to throw in an extra joker.

the exact rules will be discussed when we kick off the event on site, and there will be a prize right now for Highest hand. And depending on the amount of folks that participate we will have a prize for the person or couple that completes it in the shortest amount of time.

And ofcourse we are all in for the crawfish.. I and my wife will be willing to bring our crawfish cooker set the seasoning, potatoes, sausage and corn as well as an extra ice chest for crawfish as well as my old ice chest used for purging.

can't wait for the weekend to get here nowicon_smile.gif

if there is anything else we can do to help just let us know

Cenlacouple

Don&Kerry

quote:

And ofcourse we are all in for the crawfish.. I and my wife will be willing to bring our crawfish cooker set the seasoning, potatoes, sausage and corn as well as an extra ice chest for crawfish as well as my old ice chest used for purging.

can't wait for the weekend to get here nowicon_smile.gif

if there is anything else we can do to help just let us know

That's just the way I like it. I make a suggestion, and other folks line up to do all the work. icon_smile.gif That sounds REALLY good. The less stuff I have to haul around, the better (for me, anyway).

I'm sure as this thing gets closer, more details will emerge. If you folks are going to lay out a poker run, and Katie and I get up there to set up for the surprise night-time cache, I'm sure nobody will have time to get bored. icon_smile.gif

I'm just glad it wasn't LAST weekend. Cold and wet reminds me too much of the "RF - Can you hear me now?" finale from last time. icon_smile.gif

25 days and counting...

quote:

My weekend schedule change takes effect next weekend, which means I get to camp Friday through Sunday! Now I just have to see how early I can get out there Friday. (I doubt J. will be able to make it, but I'll ask her anyway. icon_wink.gif)

Whew! I was waiting for someone else to post in this thread! I didn't want to be "that guy" who posts twice in a row in a thread that he started... icon_smile.gif

I was in Kissatchie this weekend and noticed that they did a nice control burn of the forest area around the campsite. Other than that, everything appeared to be in order. I was unable to locate a nearby water faucet, but I don't think that will be a problem for the crawfish boil. I also serendipitously bumped into Cenlacouple, and it seems like the boil is on! We'll probably need to take a head-count of sorts in the week heading up to the event to get an idea of how many crawdads we'll need and perhaps come up with a "set time" so day-visitors will have an idea when to stop by for food if needed..

I can nearly guarantee that I'll be able to lay out the "night time" cache before the event. I've affectionally named it "Jeepers Creepers." icon_wink.gif I don't think it'll make a good group-hunt like "Da Tube," but it should be interesting nonetheless. It should be close enough to Evangeline Camp for folks to "do it" at their own leisure. icon_smile.gif

I just really hope we can avoid the rain this time. icon_smile.gif

13 days and counting...

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:

quote:

My weekend schedule change takes effect next weekend, which means I get to camp Friday through Sunday! Now I just have to see how early I can get out there Friday. (I doubt J. will be able to make it, but I'll ask her anyway. icon_wink.gif)

We'll probably need to take a head-count of sorts in the week heading up to the event to get an idea of how many crawdads we'll need

There's a very small chance that my work schedule could change, but I should still be able to get there Friday noonish to set up camp.

And Alex, Ashley and I love crawfish! You can count on the two of us digging in icon_razz.gif

It looks like we've almost officially hit the one-week-till mark. The weather guessers are showing favorable temperatures and precipitation for the weekend. So far, so good!

With the anticipation and planning required to pull off some crawfish, we're going to need an idea of how many people we're talking about. I guess in order to make that official also, we'll need a set time. So... 4PM Saturday OK with everybody? ... pause ... Good. 4PM it is. icon_smile.gif

I'll scratch the crawfish list out here. Please scream if you are on the list and don't want to be, or would like to be on the list and aren't. Of course, participation in crustaceans will require a nominal fee (market price for live crawfish in Alexandria).

Alex & Katie

Buck8Point

Forestfrog

pizzachef

Cenlacouple

Russell & Ashley

Guessing at about 3-5# per person, that's a 40# sack so far. I'd almost rather come up short than over when mixing crawfish and camping...

I should be in Alexandria this weekend, and will hopefully be able to determine if "market price" is "price gouged" or not. I really wan't sure the bait shop would have all that "bait" that far up north. icon_smile.gif Local prices (in Lafayette) are about $1.15 - $1.25 per pound right now, and I wouldn't imagine that Alexandria would be much different...

Let me know!

alex

I know I've been out of town for a little while, and out of the caching picture for a little while longer, but I hope to put up some numbers (from out of town) in the next couple days, so don't forget about me.

I'm going to be rolling into this show around evening on Friday (definite) and rolling out Saturday evening (circumstances permitting).

Sign me up for some average portion (whatever that means) of crawfish, I'll put in when I get there. I'm looking forward to this, it should be really conditions.

Count me in for crawfish - closer to the five pound mark... icon_smile.gif Also - Steph will want some, but closer to the 1 pound mark. She really don't eat them, buts likes a couple. Weather is looking like rain. Be prepared... ClayJar needs to pick up the pace.

Alex - I will have your prizes for the competition.

Also - I will have a few shirts available if anyone wants to purchase any. Prices: $12 short sleeve and $15 for longsleeve. Numbers are limited to first come first serve. If you want to reserve one just let me know. They are all white with the logo from the website on them.

Looking forward to seeing everyone. That is unless I get the "call" I have been waiting for in the next few days.

Phil

Place 'em if you got 'em.

quote:
Originally posted by LaGeocaching:

Weather is looking like rain. Be prepared... ClayJar needs to pick up the pace.

Okay, so the dry dance doesn't seem to be working... maybe I should try doing the rain dance on the off chance that I might actually be slightly out-of-phase with the real world. icon_biggrin.gif

(Maybe I'll just call in on Friday and camp Thursday night, just to get the full effect.)

I guess I'll be sure to bring my swimming gear... don't think it'll be deep enough for Waverunner rides, but perhaps the canoe is in order. icon_wink.gif

[Watcher Downloads] - [Official Geocaching Chat]

quote:

Count me in for crawfish - closer to the five pound mark... icon_smile.gif Also - Steph will want some, but closer to the 1 pound mark. She really don't eat them, buts likes a couple. Weather is looking like rain. Be prepared... ClayJar needs to pick up the pace.

I've been watching it all week. It goes from sunny to cloudy/rainy at least twice a day. I've got my fingers crossed. We don't need a repeat of last time (I think my camping stuff is finally dried out).

Just in case, anybody have one of those big canopy-tent things?

So I think that brings the crawdad list closer to the 55# mark. And the new list is.... (drumroll, please...)

Alex & Katie

Buck8Point

Forestfrog

pizzachef

Cenlacouple

Russell & Ashley

Phil, Steph, Petey

rbdupuy

quote:

Alex - I will have your prizes for the competition.

Competition? I didn't think you were going to make it. By saying competition I'd hope you'd "donate" the objects. icon_smile.gif Really though, any 'competition' depends on Cenlacouple laying out the poker run. Otherwise, well... I should be well t-shirted for the summer. icon_smile.gif

quote:

Looking forward to seeing everyone. That is unless I get the "call" I have been waiting for in the next few days.

And like I keep saying, they can wait another week. You're not going anywhere without 'em. icon_smile.gif

Katie and I headed back up to Alexandria this weekend to lay out the "Jeepers Creepers" cache. Got it 95% complete. I'm still debating whether to make it a "geocaching.com" cache, or a "do it at the event" cache. Perhaps a bit of both as the final cache location isn't all that impressive, but the hunt itself should be, at least, rather unique. Worst case, re-hide the container and make it a "tribute" cache.

Saturday evening, there was a group of young ruffians at the camp site. While I don't think they knew what we were up to, they watched from a distance (and made fools of themselves as young ruffians often do) as we laid out the cache. Hopefully they didn't catch on and destroy any of our hard work. icon_smile.gif

I'm planning on once again shooting for a Friday night arrival. Work plans changed during the week and I'll probably not be able to make it before quite late. icon_frown.gif

Man, I hope it doesn't rain....

alex

quote:
Just in case, anybody have one of those big canopy-tent things?

I have faith in ClayJar's anti-rain dancing abilities, but I'll try to borrow a couple of canopy tents (10'x10') just in case. icon_wink.gif If things get too bad we can always move the festivities to my house. You just have to promise to ignore the boxes I still haven't gotten around to unpacking! icon_smile.gif

ForestFrog

quote:
Originally posted by ForestFrog:

I have faith in ClayJar's anti-rain dancing abilities, but I'll try to borrow a couple of canopy tents (10'x10') just in case. icon_wink.gif If things get _too_ bad we can always move the festivities to my house. You just have to promise to ignore the boxes I still haven't gotten around to unpacking! icon_smile.gif

You could always hide the boxes and create cache pages for the stuff you're looking for... "The cache is a large cardboard box probably marked in red crayon with the word 'bathroom.' The original contents were Towels, Hair Dryer, Shampoo..." icon_smile.gif

Really though, I'm starting to like The other weather place's forecast better. They've got a huge smiling sun on Saturday. icon_cool.gif

At least we're clear of hurricanes this time...

And... I just noticed that LA is now perched on 199 'active' geocaches.. Wow. I can remember when there was only like.. a dozen... (cue Phil)

alex

[This message was edited by alexm on March 12, 2003 at 07:54 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:

And... I just noticed that LA is now perched on 199 'active' geocaches.. Wow. I can remember when there was only like.. a dozen... (cue Phil)

alex

I remember those days. I think there was something like 8 when I started.

<<>>

In fact, I hid number 9 icon_smile.gif Remember Bob B's cache page? A little hard on the eyes, but nice nonetheless.

Looking forward to the weekend. icon_cool.gif

Team Kiwi looks set to attend Saturday.

It's persisting down at the moment - luckily we won't be hydro-camping - good luck to those brave souls out for an muddy tenting adventure. Put Fred down for a portion of crawfish. None for Adrienne. We intend to arrive close to noon Saturday and leave once it's dark. Will someone post a cellphone number as a contact at camp?

Team Kiwi Site

signature.gif

Okay gang, we are coming in Friday early. Hopefully early enough to reserve our camping spot if ClayJar is not already there. I sent me cell to Team Kiwi via email. Someone else might want to just in case my coverage fails out there.

Looking forward to seeing the ole gang and meeting the newbies.

I was going to rent a canopy tent last time, but decided against it. Ooops. Glad some folks have them for this time.

Yep - I remember when I signed up, there were no caches in Louisiana and then Bobby's popped up. What a joyful day!!!

Also some bad news::: I got the call today and was denied icon_frown.gif, so I might end up back in Louisiana if I can find an IT job down there. Who knows...

See y'all there.

Phil

Place 'em if you got 'em.

quote:
Originally posted by LaGeocaching:

Okay gang, we are coming in Friday early. Hopefully early enough to reserve our camping spot if ClayJar is not already there. I sent me cell to Team Kiwi via email. Someone else might want to just in case my coverage fails out there.

Did that last night. I hope the email address on the profile is correct. icon_smile.gif Wouldn't want to broadcast as I don't need the phone calls like: "I'm in the middle of the woods, the GPS says Zero feet, and I don't see the dadgum thing." icon_smile.gif (been there, done that)

quote:

Yep - I remember when I signed up, there were no caches in Louisiana and then Bobby's popped up. What a joyful day!!!

Too bad the old forums went away. I'd link the first lageocaching post about placing caches in LA. icon_smile.gif

quote:

Also some bad news::: I got the call today and was denied icon_frown.gif, so I might end up back in Louisiana if I can find an IT job down there. Who knows...

Bummer. icon_frown.gif I occasionally run across IT jobs down in this area. Perhaps we can "network" at the event and both find a new job in the process. icon_wink.gif

Weather's looking like it will hold out. I just hope it dries up after yesterday! I may just haul the tent over to the grass this time to avoid the mud... I should be rolling in around 7:30 - 8pm or so this evening... Depending on when I can get away from work...

Looking forward to seeing everybody there!

This turned out to be a really awesome outting filled with a butt load of laughter good food and the best group of people I have had the pleasure of meeting in a long time. I told several people and I think it worthy of repeating, I have not since my days in the military gotten together with such a diverse group of people from different social and ecconomical back grounds and found such a refreshing spirit of Comradery. Everyone was interacting as if we were old High school friends at a reunion instead of folks who had just met.

Thanks again to everyone and we were glad that we were able to help out and will look forward to doing it again.

Maybe on the next outting I will treat everyone to some of my dinner time cooking which I guarantee will be far more substantial then a throw together breakfast.

Can't wait till the next one and I am already checking on things out at the Indian Creek camping areas as a location for it. I think that this area will be a great place as it has a nominal fee for camping and plenty of areas that are away from the main RV camping area that we will not bother anyone with our late night conversations about Sinfeild episodes and yet still close enough to take advantage of the short drives to the Bathrooms with Showers.

Look forward to seeing everyone again.

Until we are together again Happy Geocacheing!!!

I wish I could have spent the night, I'll have to invest in a sound proof tent. It was really great meeting everyone. I took a cue from Phil and I have changed my "handle" to reflect my geocaching hobby.

Capn_Skully fits my sailing activities but here I'll be known as South_Cache. Since I travel all over the south for work I think it will be appropriate.

Thanks again for welcoming me as friend, the good times and great caching!

Capn Skully

"To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the tops." Robert M. Persig